Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0568  (Read 837 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0568
« on: October 17, 2013, 04:40:20 PM »
Robservations #568

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0568

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 09:03:26 PM »
Barnabas confesses to Jeff that they are indeed making another creature, a woman this time, for Adam, and that Vicki's survival as well as that of the Collins family depend on whether they succeed or not. He then pretty much guilts Jeff into agreeing to help with the experiment, seeing as Julia is not feeling well enough at the moment. But he warns Jeff that if they fail, he will be equally to blame.

He lost me there. If the experiment fails, and everyone is killed,  I say the blame for the bloodshed will be entirely on the heads of Barnabas and Julia for allowing Adam to live in the first place.

Barnabas checks on Julia, still very much weak and unsure she will be able to resist Tom when he calls for her. Barnabas' plan to lure Tom to the room might have sounded good at the time, but he really should have known that Julia would try to prevent him from shooting Tom...she is under his power after all.

Roger arrives with news that Elizabeth has escaped from Windcliff, but Julia can't be bothered about that for obvious reasons. With Maggie's escape from that hospital, now Elizabeth's and then [spoiler] Amy Jennings followed by David and Hallie Stokes [/spoiler] I say the security really sucks over there. Was it always that way, or did it start to falter when Julia left there to move into Collinwood?

Loved how Tom was calling "Julia" over and over again and Julia was really struggling to resist. Of course once the attempt to shoot Tom with silver bullets after luring him to the room fails, Barnabas turns his back on Julia to go to the window when he hears the dogs howling and of course she takes that moment to sneak off to meet Tom. Boy she must run fast, or else really wanted to see Tom real badly.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 12:08:14 AM »
It almost seemed that Barnabas had been listening in on Jeff's VO thoughts in the redo, near-chuckle...  Your audible thoughts are correct Mr. Clark, we're going to make another one...  [spoiler]Jeff, meet your future stalker.   Future stalker, Jeff.[/spoiler]

I always like it when Barnabas tries on Roger the same sort of evasive conversational tactics he uses on other people, and Roger won't have any of it!   Oh yes, Barnabas wakes up with a start and realizes, it won't work on him!   What got me in this episode was how adamant Roger was that Julia come down and phone Wyndcliffe (I like spelling it that way, don't know if there's an official spelling), then next thing you know, Barnabas has gotten her into her white smock (that never gets the slightest bit of blood or other bio-goo on it-- she had it bloodproofed?) and has set her to work in the cellar....   without further sight or mention of adamant Roger fuming in the foyer.   

I know, they just didn't show it onscreen, but it seemed odd, as if Roger had evaporated.  Also the whole journey of woozy Julia to Collinwood, stumbling on the way perhaps, the semi-coherent phone call to her colleagues and underlings, Roger and others wondering what's going on with her, all eyeing her and Barnabas suspiciously, her stumbling back to the Old House...  all that's a big episode just to zoom by without dealing with it.

Good thing that in every era and dimension, there's always a silversmith in Collinsport to make silver bullets who can keep his mouth shut.... Barnabas should have crosses all over Julia's room and person.   How about a silver cross?!   

If this is as I suspect our very first glimpse of Tom's coffin in the closing credits of this episode, that's a clever way to introduce it.  I'm not sure that any information has ever been introduced during the closing credits before, or since.   Funny how we're on a first name basis with vampire Tom, or at least I seem to be.   It's hard to treat this vampire with the same awe or formality as others when I know he was the local Gomer a few days earlier...  Wouldn't it have been funny if the instant he reanimated, he'd managed to find himself a tux or a fancy suit or Dracula costume at a local store, because in his naivete he assumed he was expected to dress up like Dracula now?

[candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull] [bat7628]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 04:47:17 AM »
Youtube link for the episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8rIcwM1c5I

For those who are into that sort of thing, I believe Roger Davis clutches his hair.

G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 05:15:03 AM »
I seem to recall a count on that at one time.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 05:44:52 AM »
Barnabas recruits Jeff to save Vickie and Elizabeth, C arolyn and David. Roer who isn't on the to be saved list, reveals Elizabeth has escaped from Windcliff. Julia refuses to she Roger and becomes hysterical over it.  Barnabas somehow does not realize that Julia will protect Her Tom and he escapes the silver bullets.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 10:26:48 AM »
Just finished listening to the novel Frankenstein.   DS actually included a lot of the elements from the novel that of course we don't get in the movie.   I think as a child I appreciated that the DS creature wasn't ugly (he was in the novel though), he spoke, had intelligence, and was up to a point a sympathetic character.    The threat about killing every member of the family is straight out of the novel.   He did it too.   I thought the jump off the cliff would be in the book, but no.

[skull_winks] [skull_winks]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 01:54:14 AM »
I am so hating Davis' Jeff Clark right now. About as much as the writing lately and especially in this episode's start. Though the episode improves as it progresses.

Always nice to see Edmonds back. He & Frid do work well together. Their good work is sorely needed at this point in this episode. Not happy with Barn's lack of concern re: Liz, and the same for Julia. No biggie but a mistake on the part of the writers IMO. I mean Barn doesn't even contort with concern. Not believable at all.

If MPI was so hot to edit out material I could have done without the Jeff, Julia, Barn scene in the basement lab. As Magnus said, it only underscored the absence of all that came before it, just to tell us that Jeff will help.

I like how Julia looks progressively worse as the episode wears on. You'd think Tom would have a chick on the side or more than one victim.

Frid did well today. And Hall had some really good moments. Edmonds was flawless. Briscoe as vampire is doing nothing for me. And why he came after Julia is beyond me in or out of context. I want to know if Julia as victim is random or purposeful in context.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 02:13:19 PM »
In a very brief scene, Louis Edmonds is very good indeed as the anxious Roger.

Poor Julia is almost like a little child having a terrible nightmare when Barn promises to stay with her.

Nicely eerie green spotlight on Tom when he summons Julia. The final scene in Josette's room was very effective.