Author Topic: #1111/1112: Robservations 09/18/03: Julia in Jeopardy  (Read 1423 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1111/1112: Robservations 09/18/03: Julia in Jeopardy
« on: September 17, 2003, 10:12:55 AM »
1111 - Julia's captor, Daniel Collins, tells her, don't scream--they'll come if you scream--it's my duty to kill you.  Julia struggles as he drags her into the playroom.

Daniel releases Julia from his stranglehold and tells her she must not leave, or they will know she's in this house
--she didn't think he would recognize her simply because she's wearing that ridiculous get-up.  I've never seen you before! gasps Julia.  Daniel says she did it deliberately to shame him, just as she's always done--and now they must play the little game again--"You were always so stubborn, Harriet!"  I'm not Harriet, protests Julia, holding her throat.  Ha--how like you to say that, accuses Daniel, do you not think I recognize you?--of course you've changed, but you were always deceptive, always pretending to be someone you were not.  He is clearly nuts.  I should have known that when I married you! he shouts, coming closer to her.  Julia warns him she will scream, she swears.  You cannot scream, he insists insanely, if you scream, they will come--they will know how you haunt me, how you always come back to haunt me--I thought when I killed you first, that would be the end of it, but no, once you kill, you must kill over and over again.  He lunges at her, grabbing her throat again.  She calls him mad, and he demands to know why she came back, why, why do we relive that night, why don't you leave me alone?  In the struggle, Julia loses an earring.  Ben enters the room and orders Daniel to let her go.  He physically grabs him and drags him back.  Ben asks him why.  How dare you? demands Daniel.  They're searching for you, warns Ben.  Daniel says Ben's changed too--he turned on him, he's on her side, telling him that Quentin is dead--you once were my friend.  I am your friend, Ben assures him, now you just come with me...  And leave her here? asks Daniel.  Ben says to forget about Harriet.  No, says Daniel, she deserves to die.  She's been in her grave these 10 years past, says Ben.  She's here in this room! wails Daniel.  Julia quickly hides from Daniel's view, allowing Ben to point out that she isn't really there at all.  You say she's gone, says Daniel, but I know tonight, she will come to me--tonight.  Ben tells him he'll feel better in his own room, he'll set with him.  Will you Ben? Asks Daniel pathetically, you won't let her come?  Ben nods and says he won't let her come.  The older man leads the younger out of the room.  (Poor Daniel, is this what Millicent's little brother has been reduced to?)  Gabriel spots them exiting the playroom, Daniel saying that he doesn't like seeing her, something happens to me when I see her.  Ben pats him comfortingly on the shoulder, assuring him he knows.  Aren't you going to speak to me, Father? asks Gabriel.  Daniel, looking like his head is going to explode, looks at him hatefully and says, "Your mother awaits you--she's hiding from me in that room, but she will appear to you.  What are you talking about? asks Gabriel.  Mr. Daniel, says Ben warningly.  Why shouldn't he be told? demands Daniel, she always coddled him, let him have his own way!  Don't start that again, Father! says Gabriel.  Ben tells Gabriel there ain't nobody in that room.  You're a servant! shouts Daniel, how dare you call me a liar--I'll prove it to you!  He starts to go back into the playroom, but Ben reminds him that they're going to his room--he'll set with him all night--there's no one there. . .no one.  Gabriel looks suspicious.  She's gone, isn't she? asks Daniel, yes, she's somewhere else now, waiting for a chance to show herself again. . .waiting.  Ben leads the mad man off, nodding in agreement with him.  Gabriel thinks for a moment, then wheels himself into the playroom.

Gabriel looks around, not seeing Julia, who has hidden herself behind a changing screen.  He continues to check the playroom out, and spies her earring, which he picks up and examines with puzzlement.  He leaves the playroom.  Julia exits her hiding place.  Gabriel examines the earring in his hand.

Tower room - Ben ushers Daniel back into his room and assure him no one is here.  She will come to me, and this time, you won't save her, says Daniel--then she won't come to me again.  He shakes a finger at Ben.  She does, you know, every night, says Daniel, always looking different.  The old familiar afghan is spread on the bed.  Daniel says this isn't his bedroom; what are they doing in here.  You've been situated up here for a considerable time, says Ben, don't you remember?  I don't like it! says Daniel, we're going to my room immediately!  You said you wanted to come here, Ben reminds him.  No! says Daniel.  You said you didn't want to stay in the room where THAT happened, says Ben.  You're lying! Accuses Daniel, you lie about everything--you lied to Gabriel about that woman, and to me about Quentin!--if he was dead, how could he be, I didn't kill him--you must mean Gabriel, he's the one who's dead--or should be--Gabriel died in an accident when he was a child, I know that!  Mr. Daniel, says Ben soothingly, trying to stop the other man's diatribe, but Daniel continues that he knows that--he's been dead ever since to me.  Daniel feels chest pains and coughs, Ben leads the pain-wracked man to bed.  Daniel clutches his chest and says he must kill that woman before he dies--don't tell me you didn't see her, in that room, you did!--that woman will ruin our world!  Ben tells him their world was ruined a long time ago.  He leaves the insane old man lying in bed.

In the playroom, Julia tells Ben that even if he can get her some clothes, she doesn't think this will work, especially after last night, she doesn't think it will!  Gabriel doesn't know nothing, Ben assures her, I talked with him last night after I came up to see if you were all right.  Is the Old House deserted? She asks.  He nods.  I think I should hide there until Barnabas comes back, says Julia.  Ben wonders why he hasn't come yet?  Julia doesn't know, and doesn't understand it--something must have happened to those stairs.  If something has happened, says Ben, you can't keep expecting him.  Julia says there is another way--something called the I-Ching--he can project himself here.  You mean he'll just all of a sudden appear in this room? asks Ben--you can't expect me to believe that when he's lying down there in his coffin in the mausoleum.  His spirit will go to his coffin, says Julia, then he will summon someone to get him out--last night, she says excitedly, I thought I heard him calling to me.  Stay away from that coffin, do you understand me? says Ben--there's a vampire chained in that coffin, and he don't even know that you exist!  Julia looks at him, her brow furrowing.  He was chained there for his own sake, says Ben raggedly, to stop the killing!--you stay away from that Barnabas.  Ben, oh, Ben! Cries Julia.  Listen to me while I explain about the family, instructs Ben--your life here depends on it!--you be careful of Gabriel and his wife; steer clear of Gerard, too; then there's Cousin Flora--he smiles--she lives in Rose Cottage.

Flora herself, book in hand, red shawl on her arms, enters Collinwood with a cheery, "Hello?!"  She runs into the drawing room, smiling, and finds Gabriel, who wishes her good morning.  She's startled to see him and gasps, then says she doesn't know what to you--she supposes it's the excitement--a migraine, isn't it typical.  He nods.  And my horoscope promised me a triumphant day, she complains, sounding rather like a disappointed little girl--and then a migraine, just as I was stepping into my carriage--is he here? she asks, smiling girlishly.  Is who here? asks Gabriel sourly.  The healer, she says.  You give the most improbably names to the most improbable people, says Gabriel, what is that?  My new novel, she says, presenting it to him--isn't it GLORIOUS?  I don't know, I haven't read it yet, he says, examining it--did you bring it for me?  No, not exactly, she says hesitantly, but you must read it, though--it's by far my best work--I do hope the critics notice.  A SUMMER'S DEATH, he reads.  In three parts, adds Flora, the book, not the death--it's an ironic title--it's a story about love, a love that endures until the lovers die.  Hearing the front door open, Flora's mouth drops open in pleasure--there you are, she says.  The healer himself, says Gabriel sarcastically, handing back the book.  Flora smiles happily and presents her new book for Gerard Stiles--for you, she says.  At last! He exults, holding it close, thank you--I will read it immediately.  Yes, I want you to, she agrees, but first...she presses her forehead to her temples and cries out in pain.  Another migraine? He asks.  I'm afraid the body punishes the spirit for being too happy, she simpers--could you, would you...  He goes to Gabriel and asks him to excuse them.  Can't I stay? asks Gabriel, "I'd love to see you work a miracle."  No miracle, says Gerard, I work with the mind--Flora will cure herself.  Oh, no no no, says Flora, it is YOU who will do it!  No, I merely make suggestions, he says, and you will follow--however, I am not used to an audience.  She settles herself on the sofa, where another afghan lies. Just ignore me, says Gabriel, putting his chin on his fist--I'm so fascinated.
Shooting Gabriel a dirty look, Gerard places his hands on Flora's temples, asking Flora where she is now.  She says she doesn't know, she can't see clearly.  Don't you feel the heat, the burning sun coming down on the warm sand beneath your feet? he asks her.  Yes, I do, I'm in the desert, says Flora.  He begins to massage her forehead, asking what she's thinking.  The cool night that is coming, she says.  He rubs her forehead, telling her that night is here now, and you lie in bed listening to the soft wind blowing--the mind is free. . awake and forget about everything--the mind is letting loose of all irritations of the day.  Yes, says Flora, how clairvoyant you are--I am in that desert!--you see other reincarnations of me!  Gabriel, scoffing at Gerard's headache cure, looks at the earring he found in the playroom.

Gerard continues to massage away Flora's headache.  When you open your eyes, your pain will be gone, he says, and removes his hands and tells her to open them.  Now! she says, now my day will start!  She rises from the sofa and asks Gerard what she ever did without him--she must go see his wife--and your wife, too, of course, Gabriel--come back to Rose Cottage with me after dinner? Asks Flora, handing Gerard the book.  My honor, he says.  Flora leaves.  Gabriel wheels himself over to Gerard and asks him how many powers he has.  You've seen them all, says Gerard.  Could you cure me? asks Gabriel, could you make me walk again?  I won't even attempt it, says Gerard--a headache can be cured through the mind--the mind can change, easily.  Flora tells me you're also a clairvoyant, says Gabriel mockingly.  In a limited way, yes, says Gerard.  What do you make of this, asks Gabriel, holding out the earring he found.  Most unusual, says Gerard.  Some sort of an earring, I think, says Gabriel.  Certainly one I've never seen before, remarks Gerard.  Exactly! says Gabriel--where did it come from--come on, use your powers--can you?--can you feel any vibrations.  I can see a tall woman, says Gerard, a woman but not dressed as one should be.  Gabriel laughs and calls him a fraud.
DON'T YOU LAUGH AT ME! shouts Gerard, grabbing Gabriel by the lapels and shaking him.  "I told you that I don't like anybody laughing at me!"  He releases the no longer laughing Gabriel, who seems surprised at his violent outburst.  Gerard, says Gabriel, you certainly are worth watching--maybe I can use you...yes.

Playroom - Stokes tells Julia, who is examining a period dress, to come on the stage; the baggage is at the Inn.  Julia shakes her head--they'll know that's not true, she says.  You've got to go through with this, says Ben--now, what's your name?  Julia Collins, she replies (if only).  And what's your brother's name? Asks Ben.  Barnabas Collins, replies Julia, I've been in American for 10 years; he wrote to me and said he would meet me here--let me think about it, Ben.  No, he insists, you're going to put on these clothes and walk into this house tonight.  But Ben, it's dusk now, she says.  Forget about Barnabas, he instructs, get dressed and leave by the back way--at 8:30, you're gonna knock on that front door
--at 8:30.  Julia looks scared.

8:25 - Flora paces the drawing room.  Gabriel asks her if her migraine is back.  No, she says distractedly, I'm always this way when someone is reading a new book.  Especially Gerard, I imagine, he says.  He's introduced a whole new world to me! she says, throwing her arms out for emphasis--my new book is going to be simply shattering--you've met Leticia, of course.  None of us would have if it hadn't been for dear Gerard, says Gabriel cynically.  OH, her powers as a mystic are fantastic, she says, and the story I've worked around them, absolutely incredible!--I will call it WHISPERS FROM HEAVEN--because her powers must have come from above.  Some people might say that Gerard doesn't come from that place at all, says Gabriel--the black arts are not usually connected with out maker.  Black arts!--I've never heard of anything so ridiculous! ejaculates Flora.

8:30 - The clock strikes.  Ben looks up at it and glances at the door.  He bows to Flora.  Well, Ben, you've decided to join us, says Gabriel, what's the special occasion?  Ben says he just felt the need of some company, that's all.  We were discussing the occult, Ben?  I don't know nothin' about any of that, says Ben.  Yes you do, says Gabriel, remember the legend of Angelique--rumored to be a witch?  In this house? asks Flora.  Yes, she was a servant girl from the British West Indies who eventually married Barnabas Collins, says Gabriel.  It was a long time ago, says Ben, best forgot.  You knew her, Ben, says Gabriel--was she a witch?  Flora tells Gabriel he's being rude, and that Ben doesn't have to answer that.  Gabriel asks Ben why he's looking at the clock.  It's later than I thought it was, that's all, says Stokes--ain't that a carriage I hear?  Are you expecting someone? asks Gabriel.  No, says Ben, I could swore I heard a carriage--and he looks at the clock, which now reads 8:35.

Julia stands at the gate of the family mausoleum, thinking she can't meet that family, not now--Barnabas is summoning me, I know it!  She enters the tomb, dressed in a cape and the gown Ben gave her.  What if he isn't, she thinks, what if it's my imagination--my Barnabas is here--I know it!  She opens the secret panel and steps into the room, looking at the chained coffin.  She lights a candle and thinks that if his spirit has not made the journey through time, he will not know her.  Barnabas Collins, she says, you can hear me--you must--it's Julia Hoffman--you must recognize my name--Barnabas!--let your spirit reach out to me--let me feel its presence.  She gazes hopefully at the heavens.

NOTE:  Julia is being a tad too hopeful here, I think.  She has no way of knowing that HER Barnabas is in that coffin, and if it's the original one, she's looking for trouble--big trouble.  She might get the bite she's been craving, but not from the man she's offered herself to.

I loved Flora.  She's so daffy and silly.  I bet Joan Bennett had a grand time playing her.  Judith was one of her best roles on the show, but she was a hoot as Flora, believing in mystics and Gerard.

Now we've met the man--Gerard.  He doesn't seem all that evil, just a bit of a charlatan and ladies' man.  He showed violence to Gabriel, but I sense many people would like to be nasty to Gabriel, who is turning out to be 1840's most complex character so far.

Ben is still a good, good man.  I loved it when Gabriel questioned him about Angelique.  What Ben knows would add extra curl to Gabriel's already curly hair.

Will Julia do something foolish in her anxiousness to have Barnabas join her?  We will see!

1112 - Julia, her hands on Barnabas' coffin, calls to him.  She finds a rock on the floor of the tomb and says, "I have to take the chance."  She begins hammering away at the chains.

Gabriel looks at the earring he found in the playroom.  Gerard enters.  Ben just left, Gabriel tells him, Ben took her in the carriage--you're to go to Rose Cottage after you finish the novel, orders from the authoress herself.  Gerard, holding Flora's book, smiles.  By the way, asks Gabriel, how is it?  Fascinating, says Gerard.  Gabriel asks if he really ever says what he thinks, except when he's angry--he was fascinated by his reaction when he laughed at him yesterday--your eyes were mad, you could have killed me.  If I weren't capable of anger, I wouldn't be much of a man, would I? asks Gerard.  You are a man, says Gabriel, a rather dangerous one, I imagine.  Only to my enemies, says Gerard.  A man with powers, says Gabriel, gazing at the earring, you see, I have decided that you do have special powers.  Gabriel asks him why he laughed at him when he told you who that earring belonged to.  It was odd, says Gabriel, a woman who does not dress as women do--I find it a perplexing statement--but then, women around Collinwood wouldn't wear such a thing at all.  Gerard takes the ring from him and asks him where he found it.  You tell me, says Gabriel, you're the one with the special powers.  I charge for my services, Gerard reminds him.  And you know that I am poor, says Gabriel, the poorest of the rich Collins--but not for long--not for long--I found the earring in the children's playroom, a room seldom used since Tad's death--who left it there?--who could that earring belong to.

Julia has takes the chains off the coffin.  She's pleased with herself.  She stands back from the coffin, hesitant to open it, but she finally does, her face twisted with hope.  Barnabas opens his eyes and looks at her.  Barnabas, it's Julia, Julia Hoffman, she tells him, backing away from the coffin.  You must recognize me, she says.  He leaps from the coffin and grabs her by the throat.  Barnabas, listen to me! she gasps.  You know my secret! He says, throttling her.  "No one must know my secret!"  From the doorway, Ben calls to Barnabas, let her go
--she's a friend.  Holding her throat, Julia watches as Barnabas goes to Ben and comments on how old he is.  I never thought I'd see you again, says Ben.  How long, how many years? asks Barnabas.  Can't you tell by looking at me? asks Ben.  No, says Barnabas.  It's 1840, reveals Ben.  Barnabas says, "My God!"  You're still the same, says Ben.  The same, repeats Barnabas, then turns to Julia--"You've told her about me," he says.  No, says Ben, she's going to walk out of here.  She will tell! Objects Barnabas.  Ben tells Julia to get out.  Barnabas advances on her and raggedly says he will not let her go.  Why? asks Barnabas.  You don't know what's happening, says Ben.  I will find out, insists Barnabas, gazing into Julia's eyes with hatred.  Mr. Barnabas, you want my help, like you did before? asks Ben--you need my help?  Barnabas turns to him, looking like a little boy who has been chastised.  GO! Ben urges, and with a last look at Barnabas, Julia leaves.  Barnabas asks about his family--his father.  Your father's been dead these many years, says Ben, I'm the last left.  The boy--Daniel, he must be alive, says Barnabas.  He's an old man now, says Ben, everything's changed.  That woman, says Barnabas, you are making me take chances.  Listen to me, says Ben, her story's strange, maybe you can understand it better than I do--she said she comes from another time--she says she knows you there.  You've gone mad, old man, says Barnabas quietly.  More than a hundred years from now, says Ben, someone will come and let you out of your coffin.  BEN! Says Barnabas.  Ben assures him he believes her story, she says in the future you can send your spirit back in time--when she come here, when she opened your coffin, she expected you to know her--help her.  Help her? asks Barnabas, stunned--how can I help anyone?  She's alone in a time she don't know, says Ben, a bad time for us all.  Barnabas says he'll find out for himself.  No, cautions Ben, no.  He puts his hand on the open coffin.  You expect me to go back there? asks Barnabas--you think I'll let you chain me in again?  You've got to! Ben insists.  I've been there over 40 years, I cannot do it, says Barnabas--this curse...this curse--the blood--I cannot stop it!  You don't understand, says Ben desperately, everything's changed--the village--don't go there.  I must get out, Ben, I must! Cries Barnabas.  You'll get caught! Ben warns him.  Barnabas says he cannot stop this craving, I cannot!  Ben tries to prevent Barnabas from leaving the room, but can't; he begs him not to leave this room, for his own sake, but Barnabas pulls free from him and exits the tomb, in search of sustenance.  He passes by Julia, hiding behind a tree.  She returns to the mausoleum, where Ben is about to close the panel, and asks why he let him go.  I'm an old man, says Ben, I couldn't stop him.  He closes the door.  If he's found out! frets Julia.  He can't be, says Ben.  If he's caught tonight, and they destroy him, the Barnabas in my time will disappear, despairs Julia.  We'd better get back to the house, he says.  No, she says, I can't do that, I can't meet them now.  You've got to, he says, prepare them to accept him, in case somebody remembers--there are people who do remember Barnabas Collins.

Samantha walks through the woods.  She hears something and looks behind her to investigate.  We see Barnabas' boots heading her way, searching for prey.
Screaming, Samantha runs.

Collinwood drawing room - Gerard admires a figurine he holds in his hand.  The very rich, he says.  Samantha runs in and he asks her what's wrong.  I was in the woods, she gasps, a man saw me and chased me.  He turns to go after her stalker, but she begs him not to leave her.  He takes her into his arms, comforting her, assuring her she's safe--don't cry, he croons.  Gabriel wheels in, clapping, calling it a charming tableau.  Samantha tells him she was in the woods and followed by a man.  Are you sure it was a man? asks Gabriel cuttingly.  You don't believe me, do you? she asks.  (We see someone with a script appear on camera.)  Gabriel says she going to say he never does--see how well he knows her?--did you see this man?  No, just something tall, moving through the woods, says Samantha.  Gerard says he'll go see what it is, but Gabriel says he shouldn't do that, and Samantha tells him to take a gun--it's dangerous.  There's no reason for him to go anywhere, insists Gabriel, the police are combing the entire area--and you're wrong about another thing, Samantha, it was not a man, because a woman was found on a road near the cemetery--she had been attacked, bitten, on the neck.  An animal, says Samantha.  What kind? Asks Gerard.  Gabriel tells them she hasn't been able to say--a servant found her--Bainbridge.  Samantha rushes off to talk to him.  That's not necessary, insists Gerard, but Samantha rushes to the kitchen area.  Gabriel laughs, calling her a strong-willed woman.  A frightened one, corrects Gerard.  Do you like strong-willed women? Asks Gabriel.  Usually not, says Gerard.  But after you're through with them, says Gabriel, there usually isn't any will left, isn't that usually the case?  Gerard says he doesn't know where he gets these impressions of him, or why he's so bound to form opinions of him.  Aren't you? asks Gabriel slyly.  You said earlier that you wished for me to be of some use to you, says Gerard--what kind of use?  Perhaps I haven't formed an opinion yet to tell you, says Gabriel, and wheels off.  Samantha comes back into the foyer (but I could not hear what she said to him, it was too soft and the sound was bad).  Gerard takes her hands and says it's time to change the subject--he suggests a game of whist.  She says she couldn't possibly concentrate.  There's a knock at the door.  Gerard suggests it's the constable, perhaps he knows what kind of animal it was.  It's a nervous Julia, who, momentarily distracted by seeing the human Gerard behind Samantha, introduces herself as Julia Collins.  "May I come in?" she asks.

Julia Collins? asks Samantha.  You don't know who I am? asks Julia.  Samantha apologizes and invites her in.  Julia hands her cloak to Gerard.  Gabriel is the authority on the Collins family, says Samantha.  Julia asks if her bother is here.  Who is your brother? Asks Gabriel, staring at her.  Barnabas Collins, says Julia--I'm terribly sorry, there seems to be some dreadful mistake.  Gabriel invites Julia into the drawing room and Samantha agrees.  Julia follows them and Samantha asks Julia to sit down.  They both sit on the sofa.  Julia says she would never have dreamed of coming here if she hadn't thought she was expected.  Gabriel introduces himself to Julia, and Samantha introduces him as her brother in law, which Julia probably already knows.  She introduces Julia to Gerard Stiles, a friend.  How do you do? asks Julia.  Miss Collins, says Gerard.  Gabriel asks her about Barnabas--he's here in Collinsport?   Yes, says Julia, thinking as she goes along, I took the evening stage, I was to meet him either here or the Inn.  Where was he coming from? asks Gabriel as Gerard listens carefully.  My brother lives in England, says Julia.  But you're American, says Gerard.  I've lived here for so long, IN Pennsylvania, I really mean to get in touch with all of you--but I'm afraid my brother is more interested in the family than I am--how embarrassing this is--I did write, but the posts are so bad, I wish they were better--Barnabas will be more upset than I am (she's sort of foundering now.)  Ben enters and asks about Mr. Barnabas.  The most curious thing, says Samantha, we're about to be visited by him.  He's coming from London, says Gabriel.  Mr. Barnabas? Ben asks.  Julia looks at him.  This is his sister, Julia Collins, says Samantha, and introduces Julia to Ben.  Mr. Stokes, says Julia, rising from the sofa, I've heard so much about you from our dear father, he was such a good friend to him when he lived here--I'm very happy to know you.  So you're Mr. Barnabas' daughter, says Ben, clasping her hand and shaking it, my my.  You'll be happy when you see my brother; he looks just like Father! enthuses Julia.  Ben hugs her, and she returns it, smiling.  This has turned into a special occasion, says Gabriel--as head of the household, I would bring out the champagne.  There isn't any, says Samantha, sherry, everyone?  There are already glasses and sherry on the table, and she begins to pour.  Where is your luggage? Asks Samantha.  I left it at the Inn, says Julia.  Gerard volunteers to go get it, but Julia says she doesn't want to intrude.  Samantha assures her they'll be delighted to have her.  I'm so sorry Barnabas isn't here, says Julia, he wanted so much to see Collinwood again.  Gerard pounces:  Again, Miss Collins, I thought you said your brother ha never been here before.  Of course he hasn't been here, amends Julia quickly, but Father has spoken so much about it, he always says he knows Collinwood as well as the people who live here.  A toast, says Gabriel, holding up his glass.  To our newfound cousin, says Sam.
May she find happiness, toasts Gerard, and Julia gazes at him over the rim of her glass.

6 AM - dawn - Julia stands on the landing, staring down.  Ben waits for her on a bench in the foyer.  He asks what she's doing.  She says he knows.  Just waiting for the dawn, same as I was, says Ben.  We've got to chain him in that coffin again! says Julia.  Aye, agrees Ben, and he and Julia head out the door.

Mausoleum - Ben opens the secret panel for Julia and tells her that after it's done, they can't go back there no more, even if she thinks her Barnabas is in there--does she understand?--she can't take no more chances.  They enter the tomb to find the coffin gone.  It's gone! sobs Julia--he won't let us find him!

Gerard examines the earring Gabriel found.  This was found in the playroom two nights ago, he thinks, yet the mate is there on Julia Collins' dresser today--the mysterious Julia Collins--very mysterious indeed.  Julia returns and he greets her good morning.  She says she was taking a walk, she wanted to see the grounds during the day.  Any news from your brother? He asks.  No, she says, no news.  You must be terribly worried about him, says Gerard.  Yes, says Julia.  Tell me, he says, how long has it been since you've seen your brother?  Not since I came to America, she says, I miss him very much.  Where do you live in Pennsylvania? He asks.  On a farm just outside of Philadelphia, she says, I'm somewhat of a recluse.  I hope not so much that you don't remember the famous restaurant on Chestnut Street, grills Gerard.  I never go to the city, she says.  Pity--you miss so much, he says--by the way, I have something that belongs to you.  Oh, what? she asks.  He holds out the earring.  My...starts Julia, then finishes with, "My word, what is it?"  An earring, I think, he says.  Really, says Julia, such an unusual design.  Isn't it? asks Gerard--I found this in the playroom the night before last.  But I wasn't here, says Julia, why would you think it would be mine?  "Because there's another one just like it on your dresser!" says Gerard.  Why were you in my room? she demands.
I brought your luggage in from town, he tells her--this was on your dresser, one like this--it can't be a coincidence, can it, Miss Collins?  Julia turns away.  Can it, Miss Collins? he says.  "Now tell me, who are you and what do you want here?"  He pulls her around to face him.  "Tell me--now!"

NOTES:  Barnabas is one nasty vampire once released from the coffin, but Julia was foolish to believe that was HER Barnabas, at least this soon.  She could have gotten gnawed on!

Gabriel and Gerard sure did grill Julia, and now she is already in an awkward position--will she be kicked out of Collinwood before she can begin to change the future?  She has no good explanation for that earring, unless she claims it was stolen, but she's already past that lie.

The reunion between Ben and Barnabas was so bittersweet.  Barnabas cares only for keeping his secret, and his behavior is understandable.  When he told Ben, "You're mad, old man," I got the shivers.  This is NOT the mellow Barnabas we have come to know and love!

Love, Robin