Author Topic: Me-TV Network  (Read 3946 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Me-TV Network
« on: October 09, 2013, 05:05:09 PM »
A friend sent me a note this morning saying there's a rumor on the Internet that the Me-TV network, which shows many classic TV shows (some of them, such as THE ROGUES from around 1965-66, previously unknown to me, but excellent, quality television), has signed a deal to run DARK SHADOWS, the original 1966-71 series.

If true, this would be an EXCELLENT showcase for our series, and make it even more popular.  With series such as AMERICAN HORROR STORY and THE VAMPIRE DIARIES constantly referring to DS in their publicity (and in at least some cases, plotlines), I think young people are curious, and often wind up becoming very enthusiastic viewers of our show.

Let's hope this will be confirmed via official news release soon.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Me-TV Network
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 05:14:47 PM »
It would be wonderful, if true.  [hall2_smiley]  Though most rumors on the Internet need to be approached with a grain of salt. And considering the sticking point to getting DS back on TV has been that WorldVision has been asking too much money for the show, one does have to wonder if MeTV can afford it? Or perhaps, miracle of miracles, WV has dropped its asking price?

I suppose we'll see...

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »
That would be wicked! But take note that even though MeTV shows the credits at the end of each show, I've noticed certain cast members listed that we don't see on the show. Meaning, they are cutting content for commercial time.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:23:16 PM »
But since DS was originally broadcast as a daytime show, the episode runtimes were a bit shorter than for prime-time shows. Each episode runs about 21 minutes, I believe, so that should allow enough time for running commercials/promos without cutting content. (Of course, what should be and what is are two different things...)

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:17:30 PM »
Me-TV, based here in Chicago, has a reputation for continuing to stay true to its original mission, unlike Sci-Fi and TV-Land.  It would be an ideal home for DS, although I wonder whether the network is ready to rerun a daytime serial, as opposed to the classic sitcoms and dramas that comprise its roster. 

Let's hope the rumor proves to be true!  I'm imagining John Karlen and KLS doing promos, the way Betty White, Carl Reiner, Dick Van Dyke, Ed Asner, Paul Peterson, and other stars have already done for their old shows.

Ben

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 10:31:13 PM »
P.S.: A post I saw on www.sitcomsonline.com (dated 7/23/13) suggests that Me-TV is planning to add DS to its schedule but that a date has yet to be set.  No further posts have been added.

David

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 01:12:20 AM »
 [candle_in_skull_2]

It would be nice, but all I can find about this is message board rumors.
Nothing from ME, no press releases, nada.
I'll believe it when it happens.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »
This link was posted on a Me-TV board a little while ago; it's a blog post specifically about the DS rumors:

http://www.bubblews.com/news/906415-the-return-of-dark-shadows

It's interesting how popular mid 1960s series continue to be.  Another post on the same board is about reruns of Mr. Ed and Patty Duke running on a network called Antenna, along with I Dream of Jeannie. It would be interesting to know what the demographics are with respect to the audiences--aging boomers or are some of the young hipsters who enjoy style elements of the 1950s and 1960s tuning in as well.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 02:11:09 PM »
I'm just glad Me-TV is still around, and has that committment to its original purpose.  Thanks Ben.   Hi from someone vaguely around Chicago.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »
This link was posted on a Me-TV board a little while ago; it's a blog post specifically about the DS rumors:

http://www.bubblews.com/news/906415-the-return-of-dark-shadows

Wow, that was way back at the beginning of August. And not to put a damper on the possibility that MeTV might add DS, but the announcement that came out back in the summer after that post was made was that beginning on some date in September MeTV would be adding Gilligan's Island and F Troop, which are now a part of their line up, and maybe some other comedy. I forget exactly because when I saw the shows they weren't anything I was interested in adding to my already full TV viewing habits (not that I don't like shows like Gilligan's Island and F Troop - I just don't have time to fit them in). But if that was the announcement that the blog post refers to, there was no mention whatsoever of DS.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 04:49:24 PM »
Sorry, MB, I failed to check the date on that blog post.  Ah well.

The original email from my friend said that what he heard mentioned 2014 or even 2015 as start dates so perhaps the network is simply in negotiations with World Vision for the rights.  Who knows.  I'm not aware of the current status of DS with respect to Netflix streaming; for the younger audience that is a fairly good option for it.

I know it's OT,  but I saw an F Troop episode about ten years ago and the racism of the portrayal of American Indian people really threw me for a loop.  But then, it was also the era of HOGAN'S HEROES and all the fun of living in a Nazi concentration camp...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 04:57:08 PM »
The good thing is that if DS were to ever become a part of the MeTV line up, we would certainly be alerted, most likely via some official announcement through ShadowGram.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 08:26:47 PM »
The Hakawi were a sort of loser Indian tribe much as the fort was a loser fort, so I don't think any generalizations about anyone were being made, G........
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows coming to ME TV
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 11:45:07 PM »
I read that Dark Shadows may be coming to MeTV. For me this would kind of suck because  though the Mercer County portion My Cable System Comcast of Central NJ gets ME TV as a sub channel of Allentown, PA but the Middlesex county portion of the system dose not get any MeTV affiliate. FiOS and DrecTv have  MeTV  on WZME from Bridgeport, CT. But i hear they preempt quite a bit of MeTV's schedule with informercials. Maybe i can just keep pace with MeTV using my DS DVDs.
Dan

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 02:49:08 AM »
I omitted that Station in Allentown, PA  that has the MeTV sub channel is WFMZ 69
Dan