Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0561  (Read 748 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0561
« on: October 08, 2013, 04:06:51 PM »
Robservations #561

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0561

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 05:13:48 PM »
And for any who need it, watch the episode which begins with a lovely intro recited by Grayson Hall, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfB7Elmh5hA

It always seems strange to me whenever the script has people referring to Angelique as a "girl."  It's bad taste to refer to a woman's age in public, but when this show was aired, 30 was but a memory for the beautiful woman who incarnated Our Favorite Witch.

G.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 08:39:17 PM »
Willie comes in with a box and I originally think he has a body part in there.  I keep thinking this is not Willie's first foray into graverobbing nor visiting cemeteries.  Joe comes across Willie digging and Willie has not thought out an explanation for his being there that might make sense.  Willie seems to have suffered brain damage while in Wyndcliff.  He was much smarter in his days as Jason's right hand man and Barnabas' victim.  Perhaps Julia has him on a permanent sedation schedule of drugs.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 11:40:31 PM »
Barn goes to visit Joe to find out what happened when Joe went to see Nicholas. But Joe is apathetic. Barnabas notices that Joe is feeling distinctly unwell and doesn’t even want to answer the phone when it rings. (Presumably because it’s Maggie, but possibly also because a fly lands on the dial during the phone’s big closeup. The same telephone number was used for Professor Stokes' telephone number. But nobody, not even the fly, answers the phone.)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 08:21:21 AM »
It seems Joe has four bite holes.

I don't quite get Joe's post bite state of mind but it is played/written quite interestingly. I don't recall having previously seen it like this. Carolyn was all smitten and practically sexual after her bite and Willie was all sick and jittery. Joe seems present and strong and questoning and, well, practical about it all. It seemed like he was able to run out of there and knew he should but didn't bother. I wonder how the decision to play it was decided: If there is a point to it. Perhaps he needs to be only irritable plotwise for Barn's sake. Oh, It just hit me, Maggie was cranky and bitchy at some point during her thrall. Perhaps I'm making much ado about nothing.

Anyone think Barn should be able to pick up on Joe's actual condition, him having been a vampire? Especially considering he knows there's a new vampire in town? Also, knowing that Joe was at Blair's you'd think he'd be a little more on track of what might be wrong. He even tells Julia that he thinks something is going on, before and after visiting Joe at home. Well, Barn's never been written as the sharpest knife in the drawer. The whole Joe & Maggie thing with the phone is a little silly too. Would he rather her come over to find out what's wrong? She's bound to come a' knockin' sooner or later. But whatever, I'm sure the writers know what they are doing. [stfl]

Absolutely loved the way Frid played Barn throughout his scene with HAA: Blair explaining Joe getting drunk, etc. I don't know if anyone in this thread actually watched the episode but Frid/Barn lightly smiles with amusement at Nick's explanation. It nuanced the scene wonderfully.

Nick's hat looks higher than I remember. I wonder if he and Mr. Best wear the same hat?

Karlen is still stealing the show. Poor Willie, is about all I can say. And great work in the cemetery scene, lol. Not understanding why a fresh cadaver would be in an old abandoned cemetery, but, okay. The whole piecing together thing is a bit curious, as opposed to resurrecting a whole fresh body with perhaps minor changes depending on the cause of death.

HAA kept reminding me of Robert Young as Marcus Welby in this episode, looks wise. Especially when he'd be looking down at someone and smiling.

Loved (aesthetically) watching Ange call for Joe. Not so much Parker the actress but just the vision as a whole. I think it was a little corny to have Ange talk out loud while summoning Joe. As director, I would have opted for a voiceover.

And good old Joe never learns his lesson. Honor before duty? Or is it duty before honor? His wanting to take Willie to the police for grave robbing while following Ange's beckon call was priceless. Willie should conk him on the head with the shovel and drag him to the Old House like Adam did. Perhps a shovel full of dirt in the eyes will suffice.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 09:21:26 PM »
Is anyone watching these ep's?   Certainly, I am.  I thought:  Poor Joe has to decide between taking a ghoul to the police, or answering a summons from his vampire mistress.  Only on DS...........

[candle_in_skull_2] [female_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor