Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0559  (Read 920 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0559
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:42:17 PM »
Robservations #559

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0559

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 05:38:59 AM »
Oh dear, I'm out of tapes!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 06:22:53 AM »
Oh crap, dom!  I didn't know this was going to happen!!   I rely on your being there...

Seems I didn't finish watching this one.  My notes just say, "Maybe you'll have to go rob graves, BC!"  He acts as if this is of course unthinkable.  No one can dig up a body like Willie can, now he's quitting, oh what will I do?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »
At the House by the Sea, Nicholas admires himself in a small mirror on the drawing-room wall. He is quite unembarrassed when Angelique catches him preening. Of course Angelique cannot see her own reflection now, which only increases Nicholas’s enjoyment. In his pride, Nicholas demonstrates how the mirror (which is magical) operates by showing Angelique Vicki, sitting in her prison room upstairs, alone and despondent. Nicholas tells Angelique, I’m going to free Vicki--but not till after the most terrifying experience of her life. She won’t remember a thing afterward. In spite of herself, Angelique watches the mirror eagerly as the scene unfolds--although Nicholas’s threat might not seem like much to someone who’s traveled back through time, been exorcised, tried as a witch, hanged, and been transported back to the present.

And yes, Nicholas expects Angelique to stay at the House by the Sea and be bored while he goes off to visit Maggie. Joe, just released from the hospital, arrives a moment later. hey embrace, then Maggie introduces the two men to one another and goes to the kitchen to make coffee. Predictably, Joe and Nicholas instantly become enemies. With a working man’s pride, Joe asks Nicholas, What do you do? Do? echoes Nicholas in some surprise. Oh, I’m a consultant--specializing in human relations.

Best line of this ep. is Jeff on the phone with the sheriff: No, I won't be here when I hang up!

Angelique is deep into her sulk when Nicholas returns, but she brightens up when he tells her the name of her first victim.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »
marge honey, maybe this can help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h09JkwD1Uk

To watch further episodes, simply type this in the search box:

Dark Shadows 0560

hugs, Tuffie

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 10:32:24 PM »
Wow. If making Vicki listen to Josette's music box in his living room, he needs to go back to evil school. Endora could have come up with something better.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 01:51:07 AM »
Yeah, pretty limp stew.  I can imagine Alex going through the motions and at the end of the day thinking, "you really need to find a better way of spending your time, girl."

and I'm a huge fan of the 1968 storyline.  But this...

The writing for Angelique is so awful, too.  IMO the audience should always feel an air of menace or potential threat when Angelique is onscreen. Here she sounds like a petulant parlor-maid.  Not good.

G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 02:31:49 AM »
Thanks, T, you saved a generous and considerate friend a bit of time and money, and me, the potential horror of navigating and activating a Netflix account.

I was engrossed by this episode. I have absolutely no memory of it. Perhaps that's why. It was a tad uneventful but nicely executed.

My favorite moment is Vicki telling Jeff she's sorry she kept him waiting and a moment later, "I'm sorry if I stayed a little longer than I intended." I literally laughed out loud for quite a few seconds; priceless.

Parker was especially good in this episode - and I love 'modern' Angelique's hairstyle and makeup.

Blair's hat and gloves were front and center during Vicki's long exit from Blair House. I wonder if she will remember this at some point.

Two corrections: Joe Haskell with be Ange's second victim and we do see Angelique's reflection in the magic mirror (a blooper, I guess?).

Directed by SEAN DHU SULLIVAN. That's a new one on me, but I haven't been paying much attention to closing credits lately.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 03:07:04 AM »
I remember reading somewhere (it was around 15 years ago at least) that Jack Sullivan and Sean Dhu Sullivan were the same individual.  The Sixties was a time of revival of interest in the "Celtic Twilight" movement and the name change may have reflected that, if this is correct information.

Lara Parker's 1968 Vampilique look always makes me think of Dusty Springfield, particularly in the early weeks when she's allowed to have some costume changes.  The black gown with the lace collar was originally worn by Laura Collins in early 1967.

Glad to have been of help, Marge.

XX--Tuffie

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 04:51:33 AM »
One of my friends used to refer to Mr. Sullivan as Sean Dhu the Killer Whale.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 01:37:07 AM »
The door and window will not open and my first instinct would be to throw a chair through it to escape, but no Vickie goes romping around trying them all.  Now if she had tried to break it out and it would not because Nick had cast a spell that would have been better.  Joe is out of the hospital and Nick is toasting to his future so it can't be good. Then Nick goes home to tell Angelique that Joe will be her next victim and she is pleased. I would hope so.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times