Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0554  (Read 838 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0554
« on: September 27, 2013, 04:30:52 PM »
Robservations #554

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0554

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 07:14:04 PM »
This is a good one.  A lot happens, lots of characters-- DS is at its best when a number of supernatural factors and people are flung into each other, and intertwined in unexpected ways.  Damn, wolves howling!  --  I wrote in my notes.   What can Barnabas possibly make of that?   Welcome Don Briscoe, and the brief appearance of human Tom Jennings, who seems like Collinsport's Gomer Pyle.   Then... farewell Tom!  Only no.   Just seeing the coffin marked him for death immediately.   Presumably if he's a vampire, he won't want to tell about Ang's coffin.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 07:20:21 PM »
Welcome, Don Briscoe! He plays the irrepressibly cheerful handyman Tom Jennings. But he makes a fatal mistake in less than 30 seconds and comments, The Collinses wouldn’t store a coffin in the basement of one of their houses.

Costume notes: Julia looks great with big pearl button earrings and matching necklace and a dark dress with a white collar.

Barnabas is terrified at the howling he hears in the woods and what it portends. Sure enough, Jeff bursts into the house and immediately phones the police. Barnabas and Julia (and Nicholas) listen intently as he describes finding a strange man in the woods. The man was near death--with bite marks on his throat. Julia is eager to rush out to find him, but Jeff tells her that the police will find him faster. Then they notice that Nicholas has disappeared.

Julia is left with nothing to do but interrogate Barnabas, and she begins with her usual vigor and tenacity. Was it you? she asks sternly, almost as if Barnabas were her philandering husband--a situation that we will see again. (This might be the first such scene!) I swear it wasn’t! Barnabas exclaims. If I had reverted, surely I would be the first to know about it! Julia is forced to voice their worst fear: If you didn't do it, she says slowly, there is another vampire nearby.....

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 02:32:07 AM »
Barnabas hears the dog howling and fears they sense something. The coffin  and Nick stands creepily over it and makes one wonder if Nick is planning to finish Angeliques failed mission. Jennings appears and sees the coffin and Nick pities him and he sees something in the woods we do not see, Jeff hears hideous screams he find Jennings with holes in his neck. Nick says and so it has begun.  Barnabas is frightened and unclear about what he was doing before he got to the Great House. Barnabas and Julia talk about Adams plans and then Nick arrives and said he saw Barnabas running in the woods. Jeff bursts in and says he saw a almost dead man in the woods.  Jennings names is revealed to be Tom in the credits.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 04:20:40 AM »
Wow, I can't wait to catch up!

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 11:32:24 AM »
What a weird episode.

Well, we know it's Angelique, don't we? Or are they trying to lead us to believe Barn is reverting?

Fun seeing Briscoe.

Pretty fast-paced and interesting. All the scenes were good for content and for the most part pretty well acted.

Looks like Nicholas has more than one plan evolving.

Julia did look very nice. And Hall did very well.

The townsfolk are gonna start talking again with this attack being exactly like the ones that happened when Barn arrived. I wonder if they are going to use it in the storyline. I imagine Maggie and Joe are gonna freak and I can't wait to see Willie's reaction to there being a new vampire in town. It ought to be a hoot!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 12:02:12 PM »
I find it next to impossible to detach from what I know from previous viewings, and experience these events like a new viewer.  I want to.  I'm straining to "guess" what Barnabas running around scared and having a blackout means, if it all went that way, if Nick didn't make parts of it up.  Actually that part is interestingly confusing, but I know too well how the general plot goes now, so many other plot points have lost mystery.....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »
I meant to post this as I believe it was taped the day they did this episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JaRg1u86Mc

Radio interview for the Ron Barry Show with Jonathan, Grayson, HHA, Robert Rodan, Roger Davis and (only in the first segment, because he had to leave for an appointment) Don Briscoe.

Interesting that Barry treats Davis as if he's already figured out he's a jerk... some start early...

Love Grayson's infectious laughter when Briscoe purrs, "I'm the apprentice vampire."

G.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 03:37:08 PM »
Thanx, T.