Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0551  (Read 931 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0551
« on: September 24, 2013, 04:42:07 PM »
Robservations #551

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0551

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 11:04:30 PM »
Adam does not plunge the knife into himself. Fooled me.

I didn't like this episode but mostly in a good way. Ass hole Adam is born. Now I don't like him anymore or feel  like I will make excuses for his bad behavior. Which is wrong because he is being guided by Nicholas so why not still give him a pass? I don't know why. Maybe I'll relax with this second viewing. I've readjusted many if not almost all of my opinions since joining the project.

The first scenes were atrocious because of Craig Slocum's horrible acting and whoever's ridiculous writing and asinine directing (and putting the mirror back together for the shot was deplorable IMO - though I did appreciate the shot & pan, it was nicely done). Even Rodan's perfect timing was thrown off kilter by this mess. HAA's talents couldn't even elevate it.

Rodan & HAA's scene was good and made sense as written and performed. I keep guessing at what is coming next and I am consistently wrong and I am appreciating that. After Nick's talk with Adam, Adam becomes calm and present and this is the scariest he's ever been to date, IMO. I am hating the character, and loving it. I am becoming interested again in what is going on and what is to come even though I know the gist of it.

Carolyn is becoming an annoyance to me at this point because of her gullibility. Thank goodness Barrett is a good actress otherwise she might be unbearable to watch at this stage of the game. I am totally beguiled by Nicholas right now because I think I know what he's thinking but I have been wrong at every turn so far so I am on the edge of my seat wondering if I am correct. And I certainly appreciate that after being somewhat bored with the show as a whole for a good minute or two.

Adam visits Barnabas and demands a bride. Awesome because Barn is being put in a position he's been put others in repeatedly, an impossible one. While the premise is predictable and corny in a way, it is delicious as well for the spot it puts Barn in and for what is coming his way as the story continues. That Barn is human and vulnerable right now is awesome.

Stimulating episode.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 11:48:55 PM »
If I cared about Hairy Johnson's character, I'd criticize the violation of it, when he talks Adam out of suicide almost as if he cares.   How does Adam know you can end your life by sticking something sharp into your belly?   Some existential realities need to be learned, as much as we may think they're self-evident.

In Nick's talk with Adam, I started to wonder how much Nick might actually believe in his mission from the Devil, as a cause.   I was taking it for granted that he's a cynic who believes in nothing, but I've started to think Nick is a sincere prosletizer and believer.   It would be interesting therefore to hear why.

Nicholas explains the whole Plan to Adam during the commercial!   Interesting, brief dissolve right before commercial break, with a silent Nick advising, and Adam listening, superimposed on the other scene.  Nicely abstract.

Things move in this episode.  Adam confronts Barnabas, anxious to exhibit his new civilized (sort of) self.   Good scene, with the two re-meeting, for the first time, really.   Barnabas doesn't concentrate on the implied threats, but on the wonder of Adam's advancement, which I prefer.   It's far more interesting that way.   Barnabas is intelligent, and worldly, and is not (or should not be) thrown by an intimidating presence, and examines what's interesting instead, the new Adam.   Barnabas is very reasonable here, and makes the right observations and points to Adam.

Now that they've set the stage for the completion of their version of the book Frankenstein, I wish they were going to violate all that and defy expectations, and go in a very unexpected direction.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 04:48:52 PM »
Interesting, brief dissolve right before commercial break, with a silent Nick advising, and Adam listening, superimposed on the other scene.  Nicely abstract.

I was struck by this too.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 07:52:01 PM »
I thought Harry actually was genuinely horrified at Adam's suicide attempt. In any case, at least Harry puts his usually misapplied gifts to a good purpose.

The first time I saw this ep. and saw Carolyn smile at Nicholas, I wanted to yell at her, No, no, no!!!

Nicholas IS a sincere prosyletizer and believer, but only for the sake of his own agenda.

Very nice scene with Adam and Barnabas. And the writing builds up nicely to Adam's punch line.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 02:08:57 AM »
I imagine the Harry had lots of experience with knives in prison and is able to talk Adam out of suicide. And now the Bride of Frankenstein comes to the table.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times