Author Topic: Sleepy Hollow and Depp Shadows  (Read 4465 times)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: Sleepy Hollow and Depp Shadows
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 04:11:31 PM »
I've been watching it on Fox.com via their full episode streaming.  Aspects of it still seem a little clunky (the subject of the most recent episode, I won't spoil it but the "secret" between the sisters that I thought was very obvious, and also very understandable, seemed a little forced, though well executed).  I really like both of the leads, and I think their charisma will help to keep us interested.

I loved the "What did they call you for short, Icky?" joke  [hall2_grin]

I wonder if Ichabod is ever going to get a new jacket :)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »
I haven't had the chance to watch the 3rd ep yet, but during the course of the second ep I did wonder why he was still wearing his 18th century jacket throughout. But then I figured that they might think of it as integral to helping to define his character, so we may be seeing it for some time to come.  [hall2_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 07:35:44 PM »
Even better news: FOX renews 'Sleepy Hollow' for Season 2

Though it would have been nice to have gotten 22 eps this season instead of 13. But then, the way things are working at some other networks, 13 ep (and even less) seasons may just become the new norm.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 09:00:05 PM »
I saw the news about the renewal and smiled, then heard that only 13 episodes were ordered for the first season, and my smile faded.

I wouldn't be surprised though if shorter seasons become the norm.  It may be a strategy for the survival of drama (and other) series on television in today's market.

I was really surpised years ago when I got hold of an ADDAMS FAMILY episode guide (from the classic 1964-66 series) and saw that there were something like 30 episodes per season.  Then a few years later I was going through a Peter Gunn episode guide and learned that in 1958-59, around 36 episodes was "a season."

Times have certainly changed!  Aren't you glad!  [hall_rolleyes]

(and I'll just comment that watching Sleepy Hollow on iTunes on an a la carte basis is WAY preferable to watching a "free" broadcast laden with pop-ups, banners, studio logos, and INCESSANT commercial "breaks".

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 10:39:20 PM »
More and more the networks and cable stations seem to be following the British model of making fewer than 22 eps a season. (Though in Great Britain they often make even fewer than 13 eps a season.) And when I'd posted earlier I'd completely forgotten that even from the outset the first season of SH was only supposed to last 13 eps because The Following is scheduled to return at midseason in SH's time slot. And it would have been nice if the SH renewal articles had reminded us of that instead of simply carrying the FOX Entertainment Chairman's quote that the 13 ep renewal will take the place of a back 9 pickup, which gives the false implication that the show's first season is being cut short in favor of renewing it for a second season.  [hall2_rolleyes]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 11:25:41 PM »
yeah that new series 'hostages' about the doctor who's supposed to kill the president is just a fifteen episode series as well. although the plot itself of it does not lend itself to open endedness...

awhile back I was watching 'Dallas' on DVD and was stunned that each season had thirty episodes. such an order number for an expensive, ensemble cast drama largely shot on location would never happen today. the recent TNT revival of the series has just fifteen episodes as well. there was a fan dustup recently when the network announced it might break up those fifteen episodes into two "mini seasons" of seven and eight episodes each. i'm not sure if that's been resolved one way or another but the old television model is certainly breaking down.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 11:30:14 PM »
I think seasons of 10-13 episodes would be ideal.  That seems to be the norm for cable series, and it could well be argued that cable sets the standard for quality in television series.  With a 22 episode season, many shows either run out of steam or repeat themselves; a shorter season would give the creative team more time for story and script development.  Moreover, a shorter season might allow for greater availability of on-screen talent (since they wouldn't need to commit for such a huge part of the year).  Plus, it might end up allowing for more diversity in programming, and hopefully fewer pre-emptions and schedule shuffling once a particular series starts its season.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 03:00:27 AM »
Personally, I have really come to love 10-13 episode seasons for TV shows.  The shows are more tightly written and don't have to put in a lot of filler to stretch them out.  There are so many good dramas on TV nowadays with this format, and I guess I've gotten used to the idea and quite like it.  I hadn't heard about Sleepy Hollow's renewal, so I'm thrilled to hear about that! 

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 02:09:41 AM »
I've watched each episode so far and while I like and enjoy the show the only thing that is really keeping me interested is the charisma of the two two leads and my interest in seeing how the mythology of the show plays out. Hopefully as the season progresses the show will become better and loose the traditional horror/suspense/mystery tropes that we are all used to. I would also like to see the show lose a little bit of the he procedural aspect because I think it makes it boring. However, in this day and ago procedural shows tend to do better due to the limited patience and attention spans of there viewing audience.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 09:04:06 AM »
Sleepy Hollow must be doing well.  I started watching that and Blacklist.  Both are on at a time when I not only can't watch, but am recording other things, so I've been getting them on On Demand.  When I went to On Demand today, both programs were listed right at the top.  One didn't even have to go to the TV Shows category first - they were categories in themselves.  So, I would assume that there is great demand for it to be listed like that.
Josette

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 12:29:22 PM »
I'm also still enjoying the show very much, but I agree about the procedural aspect and hope that this won't end up being a "baddie of the week" kind of thing.  Some of that may be fine but I want to see a longer term story, too.  Buffy, Angel, and Fringe, to name a few, were able to strike a good balance, so I'm hoping this can, too.  So far I'm liking this show the best of the 3 new shows I'm watching (The Blacklist: promising but I may grow tired of the format, though I am adoring James Spader, The Hostages: a hot mess but I'm sticking it out for now).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 07:13:47 PM »
In some ways the show reminds me of Fringe, certainly with the way its background mythology is working into things. But then, many of the same people who worked on Fringe are working on Sleepy Hollow, so that probably accounts for some of it.

I watched the third ep last night, and I do have to say that the opening scene in which Crane interacted with the lady from Northstar Assistance came across as something that Depp's Barn might have easily done in a similar situation. Not to take away one iota from Tom Mison's delivery, which was superb, but the entire time I could also picture Depp playing the scene the exact same way. And I could also similarly picture Depp's Barn delivering some of Crane's humorous asides. But then, Crane and Barn are from similar time periods in the 18th century, so there are bound to be similarities in language and delivery.

Hopefully I'll get to the fourth ep before too long.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 05:45:24 PM »

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 04:14:53 AM »
Mison has an inner "flouncing tart" ... now I *really* think I am in love...

G.