Author Topic: #1097/1098: Robservations 09/09/03: Barnabas Grills the Kids  (Read 1347 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1097/1098: Robservations 09/09/03: Barnabas Grills the Kids
« on: September 08, 2003, 10:13:58 AM »
1097 -
Tad looks around and proclaims, "We're alive!" Yes, says an elated Carrie--Daphne kept her promise, I can't believe it's true!  But it is, says Tad. Where are Daphne and Gerard? asks Carrie.  I don't know, says Tad.  You don't suppose they've gone, do you? asks Carrie, standing, looking around nervously. You do become alarmed so easily, complains Tad. He takes her hands and assures her, Daphne hasn't left us--don't you remember?--she promised she never would. Where is she? asks Carrie--she's our governess, isn't she? You must be more careful than that, warns Tad--she WAS our governess, that was a long, long time ago, in a different life. Yes, you're right, says Carrie, I'm sorry, I mustn't forget that. There are so many things they must get used to, he points out, like these clothes. I'll never get accustomed to these, says Carrie (pointing to her short red dress). And the way we talk, adds Tad, we must change that--and our names--you must always answer to Hallie, and I to David. It's going to be hard, Tad, she says. *David*! he reminds her. She giggles.  Why are you laughing? he asks. The thought of calling you David all the time--it doesn't fit you, she says--you shall always be Tad to me. And you Carrie to me, he says--nevertheless, we must always call each other David and Hallie, do you understand? She nods. It's almost like a secret game, he says. We only play it when we're in front of others, she says, when we're alone, can't we act as we really are? Perhaps, he says, but even that can be   dangerous, because if we're overheard--one little mistake like that, and the game would be over--remember that. I'll remember it, she promises.  He takes her hands--are you ready to begin? he asks. I'm ready, she says. We're together again, he says exultantly. They hug. Oh, Tad, it's so good to be alive! she cries, her voice even higher-pitched than Hallie's. Hand in hand, they leave the room.

We see pink roses on the desk in Collinwood's drawing room. I've searched all all over Collinwood for the children, Julia, says Barnabas  Did you  search all the buildings? She asks.  Up and down, from top to bottom, he says--how could they vanish so completely?  We've been assuming they were taken somewhere on the grounds, says Julia--perhaps we were wrong. Are you thinking they're somewhere off the grounds? he asks (isn't that implied)? Why not? asks Julia. It doesn't make sense, says Barn--when they were alive, Daphne and Gerard were a part of Collinwood, so their spirits would necessarily be confined to Collinwood. Or someplace close by, says Julia--remember, we don't know what Gerard's function was in the Collinwood of 1840. Do you have a place in mind where they might have been taken? He asks. Yes, Rose Cottage, replies Julia. Rose Cottage doesn't really exist, says Barn, or if it does, nobody knows where it is. I'm convinced is DOES exist, says Julia, and I was thinking about it earlier this evening--it occurred to me it might be a place known by a different name--we're dealing with spirits that go back 130 years--it's possible that somewhere nearby there's a house nearby that doesn't have a name, but was known in 1840 as Rose Cottage. The camera again pans to the pink roses.

Quentin enters Rose Cottage--David, Hallie, if you two can hear me, please answer, he says, holding out a flashlight, searching. He enters the cobwebbed room where Tad and Carrie took over David and Hallie's bodies and lights a candle. The whole house is deserted, he says, I must have been wrong. He pulls the drawing out of his pocket and places it on the table, pondering why Daphne gave it to him--it must have some connection with what's happening, but what is it? He blows out the candle and leaves the room, closing the door behind him.

Barnabas paces the drawing room while Julia sits on the sofa, thumbing through a book. Julia bites a fingernail and finds something, but not about Rose Cottage. Perhaps you're putting too much importance on it, suggests Barnabas. Julia disagrees--don't you remember, the clue--the night Rose Cottage was destroyed--that's got to be a major event, doesn't it seem so? He admits it does. Carolyn enters--I feel so quite well, she says, but you both look terribly distressed--whatever is the matter?  Hasn't anyone told you? asks Barnabas--the children are missing. Oh, that, she says calmly, with a little grin, yes, I know. Barn and Jul are confused by her reaction. Aren't you the least bit concerned about it? he asks. Sniffing the roses, Carolyn says no. Why not? asks Julia. Do you know something about David and Hallie that toy aren't telling us? asks Barnabas.  Perhaps, she says, burying her nose in the flowers. You must tell us, says Barn--do you know where they are? They're. . .gone, says Carolyn--David and Hallie are gone. Who told you that? asks Barn. We believe they're in some terrible danger, says Julia. The children in danger?--no, that's not true, says Carolyn
--the children are alive and well. If you know that much, then you must know where they are, says Barn. No, that's all I can tell you, says Carolyn casually, they're alive and well--now you must excuse me, I'm really very tired. She slips one of the roses from the vase and leaves the room. Julia, do you think Carolyn knows what she's talking about? asks Barn. I have no idea, says Julia. She goes to the desk, opens the drawer and takes out a folder. There's been nothing but bad news all night, she says--I thought if we looked at Liz' horoscope--perhaps there's something better. Whatever that tells us won't help us find the children, says Barnabas. Julia looks at a page--how curious, she says--the forecast for this date--it says the night will end in peace!  I don't see how there can be anything resembling peace with the children missing and Carolyn behaving so peculiarly, opines Barn.  Could it possibly mean that somehow, David and Hallie will come back to the house tonight? asks Julia. I doubt it very much, replies Barnabas--Julia, do you suppose it's possible the children have found the playroom?  Unlikely, says Julia, what makes you think of that? The fact that they disappeared so completely, says Barnabas, I concentrated my search outside the house, but suppose they disappeared inside? Where? asks Julia--we couldn't find the playroom in the West Wing. In 1999, he reminds her, we found the ghosts of David and Hallie there. (he meant 1995, but whether the names were another mistake, I'm not sure). WE can't rule out any possibility, says Julia.  Precisely, agrees Barn--I'm going up to the West Wing to see whether I'm right or wrong. He goes upstairs.  Julia hears the front door open and goes out to meet Quentin. Any luck? she asks hopefully. No, he says, I thought I knew where they might be, but they weren't there--what's wrong? You tell me, she says. I don't know what you're talking about, he says. You lied to me earlier, accuses Julia--Hallie did not escape from you, you let her escape--she holds up a blue handkerchief
--I found this on the floor, it belongs to Daphne, she was there in the room when Hallie ran out, and you saw her, didn't you, Quentin!?  He looks away from her guiltily.

Quentin gazes at the handkerchief -I've never seen it before, he says.  But you recognize the scent of lilac, don't you? she asks. Yes, he says. Daphne was in the room and you saw her, didn't you? asks Julia.  I didn't, insists Q. I don't understand why you won't admit it, says Julia--I can't believe you're willing to let the children come to any harm. Of course I don't want them to come to any harm! he says. Then admit what really happened, says Julia--you were watching Hallie and then Daphne appeared, you were distracted and Hallie got away--is that true?  Julia! says Quentin, angry now--are you accusing me of deliberately endangering David and Hallie? I'm asking a question and only want an answer, she says, furious. No, I did not see her, he says, his back to Julia, and she was not here. She helplessly shakes her head.

Playroom corridor. Barnabas enters the linen closet and wonders--how is it possible for a playroom to be here in 1995 and not now?--I don't understand. He leaves the closet and closes the door. Carolyn comes by, humming. What are you doing here? he asks. I just came to get something from my room--just down the hall, she says. He looks at her, perplexed--but your room isn't here in the West Wing, he says, it's downstairs in the house proper. Don't be absurd, she says, you know perfectly well I've always lived in the West Wing--I do think it's the most enchanting part of the house. Carolyn! says Barnabas. She touches her hand to her chin--why do you keep calling me that?  Because it's your name, he says. You know very well my name is Leticia, she says--I live in that room just down the hall. Leticia? he repeats, then decides to play along. Well, Leticia, he says, perhaps you can tell me where the children are, can you do that? What an odd question, she says, her hands wandering to his chest--do you realize how late it is?--where else would the children be but in bed? She giggles--you're a strange one! she says-- before  walking away. Barnabas, astonished, stares after her.

Quentin sits on the sofa in the drawing room, drinking from a brandy snifter, wondering, why can't I understand my own behavior?--what stopped me from telling Julia the truth? Maybe Julia was right from the beginning, and Daphne has some hold over me that I'm not aware of. He stands--Daphne! he calls--wherever you are, don't let any harm comes to those children--or I'll never forgive myself. He pours another drink.

Barnabas goes to David's room and, astonished, finds the child asleep in his own bed.

Quentin stands at the window, gazing out. Julia enters and reports--the children are back in the house--Barnabas found David asleep in his bed--Barnabas called me, and I went to Hallie's room and found her asleep, too. Neither of them understand. Did you wake them? asks Quentin. I woke Hallie and brought her into David's room, says Julia--Barnabas is there with them now. What's happening to them? asks Quentin--I wonder where they went when they left the house? Barnabas is talking to them now, says Julia. Quentin starts to head upstairs, too.  No, insists Julia--Barnabas doesn't want either of us to go up--he thinks the children will get too upset if too many of us are up there, questioning them.

Barnabas questions the robe-clad children, who are holding hands. You say you were both upset when Julia wanted you to go to Professor Stokes', is that correct? he asks. Yes, says Tad, that's correct. Running away was rather a drastic way of reacting to that, comments Barn. Yes, I suppose it was, says Tad, glancing at Carrie, but when we realized how foolish we were, that's what made us decide to come back--isn't that right? Yes, agrees Carrie, too cheerfully--when we realized how worried everyone would be, we felt very bad about it. Barnabas grimaces--did you really did leave the house of your own volition? He asks--there was no one else involved?  Who could there be? asks Tad. Gerard and Daphne! answers Barnabas. Tad, perplexed, repeats the names--I don't believe I've ever heard those names before--do you think we have, Hallie? She shakes her head--no, we haven't, she concurs. Well, says Barn, there are two spirits of people who lived long ago at Collinwood, and I feel that there's been more than one person here who's felt their presence. Oh, they must be the ones that Dr. Hoffman mentioned once, says Carrie, but we don't know anything about them. Hm, says Barn, I see. We felt very bad about what happened, says Carrie, and we're terribly sorry that everyone was worried.  Yes, says Tad, we figured everything would work out for the best. What do you mean by that? asks Barnabas. We were very frightened, says Tad, everyone had been telling us things to make us worry--about spirits in the house and dreadful things that were going to happen in the house--and Hallie and I never thought anything wrong in the house. And with everyone talking like that, says Carrie, we began to wonder, and I guess we got frightened. Tad smiles--I'm sure you came see we're all right--no harm came to us--and I feel if everybody would stop worrying, everything will be as it was. Carolyn enters--I thought I heard voices, she says--I was right, didn't I tell you the children were well? Yes, you did, says Barnabas--I'm glad to see you both back again--I wish I could share your feelings that everything will be better, but I'm afraid I can't--I'm going to go to Dr. Hoffman because I still feel it wise for both of you to leave Collinwood--at least for the present.
He leaves the room.  Seconds later, he overhears Carolyn/Leticia saying, "Good night, Tad, good night, Carrie."  Both children wish her good night, calling her Leticia. Barnabas, stunned, turns back and re-enters the bedroom. "You are possessed!" he cries-"You're both possessed!"

NOTES: CAUGHT! And pretty darn quickly, too, given how cluelessly things have been happening around here. Tad and Carrie weren't very smart in maintaining their disguises, not even for a short time. Now that Barnabas realizes that David and Hallie have been taken over by Tad and Carrie, what will he do? Will Stokes be called upon to perform the exorcism we heard about in 1995? I heard differences in the kids' speaking voices/ inflections, and suspected Barnabas was already suspicious. I doubt Tad and Carrie could have brought their deception off for long, anyway--there they were, holding hands in front of one of the adults, oblivious to the fact that David and Hallie wouldn't do that.

Carolyn is a hoot as Letitia, but then again, that character is a hoot, anyway, as you will see.  And Barnabas was wrong--there are THREE possessed people--Carolyn is another!

Quentin's still feeling guilty, but not enough to overcome whatever hold Daphne has over him to start talking. Daphne has him so lovestruck, I guess, he can't do the right thing.  Hard to believe the devil-may-care, womanizing Quentin fell into this trap isn't it?

1098 - Cousin Barnabas, says Tad, I don't understand what you're talking about! Carrie nervously agrees. A moment ago, you both answered to the name Tad and Carrie, Barn reminds them--and you called Carolyn Leticia! We were just playing a game, says Tad.  Again, Carrie agrees. We're David and Hallie, says David, who else could we be?--we don't look any different, do we? If it's a game, suppose I play, too, says Barnabas--tell me the name of your mother, and the date you were born. 1956, says David. And who was your governess before Maggie? interrogates Barnabas. Tad walks away, thinking. Tell me her name, demands Barnabas. What about you, young lady, Barnabas grills Carrie--when did you come to Collinwood, and under what circumstances?  Carrie blathers that there was an accident. That's right, says Barn, involving your mother and father--what were their names? Stop it! cries Carrie, walking away. Why should I stop? demands Barnabas, pursuing her, I'm asking perfectly normal questions, you should be able to answer without hesitation--but you don't. Carolyn gazes at Tad. The reason is simple, asserts Barnabas--David and Hallie did not leave here of their own volition--they were lured here by the spirit of Gerard. You have no right to talk to us like this! blares Tad. Until I get the answer I want, says Barn, I will make the judgment there. Oh, Daphne, please help us! wails Hallie. Stop it! orders Tad, but it's too late. Why is this possession taking place? asks Barnabas--what do Gerard and Daphne want from this house?  They can't tell you that, says Carolyn wisely--even they don't know yet. What do you mean by that? asks Barnabas--what do you know of this possession? Julia enters the room. Possession? asks Julia. The children cannot tell you what you want to know, simpers Carolyn, that's all I can tell you. Julia gazes at her.  I must go to my room now, says Carolyn, and walks off.
The possession's taken place, Barnabas? asks Julia. I'm afraid it has, says Barnabas.  And there's nothing you can do to stop it, says Tad, standing and taking some of Carrie's hair with him. Tad, no! says Carrie. Carrie and I are here to stay, insists Tad--and nothing you can do will change that. That remains to be seen, promises Barnabas, in the meantime, I suggest you both stay here in this house. I have no intention of leaving, says Tad steadily, sitting very closely beside Carrie--and you know I mean more than just the house. Barnabas and Julia leave the room. Out in the hall, Julia says, if the possession is complete, it seems to me Gerard has already won. No he hasn't, says Barnabas, this possession is only part of a larger plan, and we've got to find out what that plan is!  How? asks Julia. I suggest we go to Stokes and tell him what's happened, says Barn, and pray everything will be all right--because if it isn't, David and Hallie are as good as dead. Behind the door of David's room, Tad and Carrie eavesdrop on Barnabas' words.

Tad, says Carrie, I never dreamed they'd find out so soon--what's going to happen now? It's going to be all right, he assures her, they can't do anything to us. Oh Tad! cries Carrie, we're strangers in our own house--at Collinwood--I can't believe it--we're living amongst strangers!--is this what we wanted? Try to remember, he says--we aren't here because of what we want. But why are we here--I can't seem to remember, says Carrie. We don't know yet, says Tad.  When will we know? she asks. He thinks it over. Soon, he says, and wanders to the door--I want to go to the playroom--I feel the answer is there. Wait, says Carrie, I'll come with you. No, he says, I have to go alone. I wish Daphne was here to help us, says Carrie--I wouldn't feel so alone if she was. I'm sure she'll come, says Tad--stay and wait for me--and don't be afraid. Where are David and Hallie? she asks--are they dead?  He shakes his head--I don't know, he says, I don't think so. Where ARE they? she asks. They aren't anywhere, he replies--as long as we're here, David and Hallie don' exist. I suppose it sounds strange, she says, but I do hope nothing bad has happened to them--I like them, both of them. I know, he says, I like them, too. He leaves the room. Carrie closes the door.

Quentin drinks in his room. Carolyn knocks--may I come in? she asks. It's very late, he says-- what do you want?  I came here to tell you something, she says, but don't remember what it was. Has Barnabas been able to find out where the children went when they left the house? asks Q. They told him they ran away because they didn't want to go to Stokes' house, she says.  Are they all right? he asks. Of course they're all right, she says, what would have happened to them? (Did Leticia stop possessing her?) I have no idea, he says, and takes a drink. Are you all right? she asks. Never better, he says, stirring his booze in his glass.  You're acting very strangely, she says. No, I'm very fine, he says, and I think you should go get some rest. Rest, she says, sleep, that's what we all need--if we just knew where to find it--our minds are so troubled, but we don't quite know why--and you, Quentin, I look at you and I see in your eyes such terrible pain, as if you bear some strange burden
--some sort of guilt, isn't it, some terrible guilt. You don't know what you're talking about, he says. What have you done? she asks--what put this terrible burden upon you?  NOTHING! shouts Quentin, I haven't done a thing--do you hear me?--not a thing!

Drawing room, Collinwood - What troubles me, Julia, says Barn, is that Gerard has been able to succeed so easily--we've seen four of the six clues become reality, and have still been unable to alter the course of events. There are two more to go, says Julia--the murder and destruction of Rose Cottage. And there's every chance they will come and go and we'll still be as helpless as ever, says Barnabas--the children have been possessed, meaning Gerard has a stronger control of Collinwood than ever--the worst of it is still ahead of us--what is this hold he has and why can't we break it?  Someone in this house is helping him, says Julia. What do you mean? he asks. It's easy enough for one of the spirits to take control of the children, she says, but to be allowed to do so so easily and successfully, they have to have the help of an adult. You have anyone in mind? asks Barnabas. Yes, Quentin, she says--do you remember that frightening hold Daphne had over him in the future?  Are you saying Daphne already has control over him and we don't know it? asks Barnabas. I'm convinced of it, says Julia.  She holds out the blue handkerchief--it has her scent of lilac, says Julia--I found it here in this room--I left Quentin watching Hallie while I went up to pack a few things for her--when I came down, Hallie was gone--Quentin was here and the handkerchief on the floor--Daphne had been here, I'm convinced of it--and that's how Hallie disappeared. Barnabas mulls this over--I don't believe it, he says--Quentin!  Yes, says Julia, fingering the handkerchief--Quentin is the reason we've failed at every step.

Tad returns to David's room--Carrie? he calls. I'm here, she says.  Why don't you turn on the light? he asks. I thought if it was dark, maybe Daphne would appear to me, she says forlornly. Maybe she'll be here soon, he says--I found out what we're to do--you go to Daphne's room--he turns on a light (how did he know how?) and get something that belonged to her--I have this of Gerard's--he picks up the Java Queen in his hands. What will we do with them? asks Carrie.  One of them, he says, will appear to us tonight. Gerard? she asks.  There's no way of telling, says Tad. Gerard frightens me, she says, I can't help it. One of them will appear to us, but not as a spirit, he says--we wanted to know what's going to happen--well, I'll tell you--we're going to bring both of them alive--Daphne and Gerard. She stares at him, mouth open.

Quentin's room - We're desperate, Julia tells a sodden Quentin, who has nearly buried his head in his booze glass--we feel we can destroy Gerard's grip on this house but you have to get rid of Daphne's spirit.  I don't know anything about Daphne! says Quentin. Do you realize how much more danger you're creating by now admitting this? asks Barnabas.  You both keep talking about danger! shouts Quentin, but I have yet to see any evidence of it! But the lives of two children are in your hands! insists Barnabas. Quentin rises from his chair, furious--stop it, he orders--all right, so the children ran from the house, but they're back now, and safe, and they are going to remain safe, that much I'm certain of! How can you be certain? demands Barnabas--because Daphne told you this? Barnabas, says Q through gritted teeth, I have never seen Daphne. If Daphne told you this, she was lying Quentin! says Barnabas. I don't have the slightest idea what you mean, says Quentin. I mean that the children have been possessed, Barnabas informs him.  I don't believe that, insists Quentin. They have been possessed by the spirits of two children who lived in the house in 1840, continues Barn--they are no longer the David and Hallie you knew--and pretended to love. (Low blow, Barnabas!) How dare you tell me whom I love or don't love! rants Quentin. What other conclusion can I come to? demands Barnabas--if you're going to be so stubbornly blind to what is happening--would you like to see them, talk to them--witness what Daphne and Gerard have done to them? She told me no harm would come to them, she gave me her... says Quentin. (Breakthrough!)  Julia touches Barnabas' arms.  "...her word, Quentin?" finishes Barnabas. Oh my God, moans Quentin, what have I done? He sits, running his hand through his hair--yes, I did see her, he admits, and I want her to be with me now--and the thought now that I'm going to lose her--well, it's almost something I can't take.
Julia leans across the table--we have all had this experience, she reminds him, being under the force of something stronger than we are, and it has made us do things we would never do under normal circumstances, but you have got to struggle to be free!  For the children, Quentin, says Barn, for David and Hallie. Quentin thinks this over--yes, he says, David and Hallie--Julia, do you still have that handkerchief you found?  She hands it to him. He unfolds it--leave me alone, he asks--I give you my word--I'll do everything i can to see to it that she never comes back here again. Julia and Barnabas exit his room. He gazes at the lacy blue handkerchief.

David's bedroom - Tad and Carrie have drawn a pentagram on the floor and placed lighted red candles at the tip of each star. Do you still have the shawl you took from Daphne's room? he asks. (Why isn't anyone watching these kids, they were ordered to stay in the room and haven't for a single second!) Yes, she says, it's here. She goes to get it.  Place it at one of the points, he says. He arranges the Java Queen at another point, then draws Carrie into the center of the pentagram with him. She tells "David" (even they are getting confused) I'm so frightened--what if Gerard comes back? Be quiet--and concentrate, he orders, and says: "Feel the earth turning to eternal space,"--let it turn itself toward the stars that guide the destinies of us all--let the light from the star that guides the destiny of Daphne Harridge touch the flame that we have lighted in her name--let the light from the star that guides the destiny of Gerard Stiles touch the flame that we have lighted in his name--let the earth turn in eternal space until we are touched by the light of their stars. The children cling to each other, waiting.

Quentin takes Daphne's handkerchief in his hand and looks up--as a sign that I will destroy the bond between us that binds us together, he says, I will destroy this that once belonged to you--and no longer will there be the scent of lilac in this house--and no longer will I be able to look upon your face--oh, Daphne! He holds the handkerchief over a blue candle, but a wind blows it out, preventing him from setting it aflame. He goes to get more matches, but when he returns to re-light the candle, the handkerchief is gone.

David's room - Tad says, "The light of the star must touch the light of the candle--light touch flame, light touch flame so that they may breathe again.
They hear the "sci fi" sound and we see what appears to be a lump of aluminum foil coming toward us, gleaming in the light. "They have met," says Tad. Will they come back now? asks Carrie. We'll see very soon, he says, and they leave the room. The candles glow brightly.

Quentin re-lights the candle on the table. I did what I could, he tells himself, I tried to send her away--I'll still try--there must be something else I can do. He looks up. She must leave this house!

Hand in hand, Tad and Carrie walk downstairs. What if it's Gerard? She asks. Don't worry, he says, he won't be angry this night. Maybe not in the beginning, she says--let it be Daphne, please!  It's not up to us, says Tad. Who is it up to? she asks. I don't know, says Tad. If Daphne was here, rhapsodizes Carrie, we'd be so much more happy--this house is so different. It's the same house we knew, he insists. NO, it's so strange, so ugly, she says--do you remember how it was--with the candles and sounds of the spinet? Shh, he says. Do you hear someone? She asks. He nods. I don't--are you sure? she asks. He looks around--don't be afraid, he urges. I am frightened--if it's Gerard...she says.  They hear a knock at the door. Both stare at it. Tad walks slowly over to answer. Who will be there?

NOTES: Who will be at the door, Daphne or Gerard? Both?  Or someone else entirely?

As Quentin tried to banish Daphne, the children tried to resurrect both Gerard and Daphne. Perhaps they canceled each other out and it will be Gerard who is brought back to life--a very terrifying thought. At least Barnabas and Julia learned early on that the kids were possessed, but what are they going to do to force those hungry young spirits from leaving the bodies of David and Hallie? Will they be able to succeed, with only two clues left to go?

One senses that Quentin's heart really isn't in vanquishing Daphne, even for the children's sake (and Barnabas really got to him, saying he only pretended to love the kids)--the beautiful brunette ghost with the 60's flip really has hold of his short hairs.

Carolyn's possession seemed to come and go, didn't it? She seemed to be Leticia when she was with the kids, and when with Quentin for a while, but then she appeared to lose that possession. Weird.

Loved the way Barnabas grilled the kids using simple questions. Tad and Carrie didn't have a chance!  He was like a hound dog police detective.

Love, Robin