Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0539  (Read 914 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0539
« on: September 06, 2013, 04:28:59 PM »
Robservations #539

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0539

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 07:28:52 PM »
Carolyn brings Adam to the west wing. He doesn't want her to leave but she convinces him to trust her judgement on his behalf. (Acting good, writing okay, fun seeing the west wing.)

Cassandra considers her options re: the failed dream curse. David momentarily interrupts her train of thought with Lang's tape recorder in hand, wanting help to work it correctly, putting us at the edge of our seats. Luckily, she dismisses him, and we exhale. (This would have been nail-biting time as a young fan back in the day. I enjoyed both Henesy & Parker's performances. 'Cute' writing - loved Cass' impatience and David's typical 'annoying via practicality' presence.)

David catches Carolyn leaving the west wing and locking the door. After a short cat & mouse regarding the west wing, Carolyn decides to help David work the recorder and once again we hold our breaths - though Carolyn finding out the secret is no where near as threatening as would be Cass. After Car leaves having accomplished her goal, David hears Lang's message to Julia. (I'm glad Carolyn stopped being bitchy to David - it made for a comfortable typical scene between them, suitably acted and written.)

Barnabas is dead: Vicki tearfully mourns as Blair condoles and consoles - cheerfully thinking the deed is done. Vicki confronts Blair on Blair regarding their involvement in Barn's death (so to speak).  Enter Carolyn who doesn't believe it and proceeds to confirm it. Enter Cassandra confirming Barnabas is alive and well - much to brother Blair's consternation. (Moltke wasn't as convincing as one might hope but did well enough. HAA made fantastic viewing as I enjoyed his performance very much.)

Blair vs Blair and the elder Blair wins, giving her one more crack at Barn, but not before showing her the result of another failure in the form of a skeletal hand and arm - hers. (HAA again shined and Parker held her own. My eyes were glued to the set, which is usually the case when these two share a scene.)

A lot of suitable performances and writing in this episode. I liked most of it, least of all the Adam and Carolyn segment and not for any other reason than that is was boring and predictable. Also, one might expect Adam to be a little more reasonable at this point and so it is annoying that he is not. Moltke looked gorgeous today, HAA was his usual self as was Rodan. Parker's wig needs a touch up and Barrett isn't looking so good these days - her hair looked especially awful.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:42:16 PM »
Adam’s room in the West Wing is furnished with miscellaneous but spectacular Victorian-style furniture, including a dresser, a writing desk, and a bed with a large, ornate wooden headboard and footboard. In any other house, such furniture would be proudly displayed, but this is the Great House at Collinwood. He shows his innate gentlemanliness when he stands well aside from the door to show that he won't keep Carolyn from leaving, and he learns a new word: trust.

Carolyn and David are getting along very well these days. The time when she referred to him as the "little monster" is in the distant past. She agrees to help him with the tape recorder, which seems to be fine, so she leaves. David lets the tape play on--and listens in amazement to Eric Lang's last instructions to Julia. He is only the second living person (but not the last) to hear them.

Fun drawing-room scene with Nicholas and Cassangelique at the end of this episode. Nicholas starts out charmingly enough by enjoying the well-made fire in all its red and yellow glory. It really makes Collinwood seem almost like home, he observes. Ever the hypocrite, he accuses her of being love [sneeringly] with Barnabas. The episode ends with the famous Cassangelique skeleton hand.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 10:17:28 PM »
David's hair - my (male) generation must remember the rite of passage of getting our parents permission to let our hair grow out, lol. Thank you Beatles! David's face is maturing as well.

You've got to wonder if Cass/Ange has a fear of aging because her punishments always seem to age her considerably.

Adam's face appears scarless at times with my 'fuzzy' HD TV and VHS format.

IIRC, I saw a wood plank wall outside Adam's west wing room, and it seemed familiar. I do hope his room gets cleaned up. I was thinking that just because Adam's a creature doesn't mean he should live in filth. He seemed pretty pleased with the room and I guess compared to the root cellar it is chic as hell but I think Stokes' digs tops that west wing room, so I was a bit surprised they wrote in or directed in that he should be pleased with hat dusty web laden room. Maybe he got a decorator's head and was able to see it's potential, lol.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 03:35:11 AM »
How hard is it to use a tape recorder? An infantile man made human can work one, but the once smart David cannot. Even my little brother could use one in 1968. 
Vickie learns Barnabas is dad and I wonder why She does not think it has to do with the dream
Really enjoyed the exchange between the Blair's.  Angelique is an amateur. Nicholas surmises that she is still in love with her husband.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 07:39:22 AM »
Vickie learns Barnabas is dad ...

Vicki's origin is finally revealed...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »
I always suspected that and now Autocorrect has confirmed.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times