Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0536  (Read 1053 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0536
« on: September 03, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »
Robservations #536

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0536

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 06:22:28 PM »
The most interesting thing about this episode (for me at least) is how far Willie has come from the thuggish brute who arrived in Collinsport with Jason McGuire. He does his best to comfort Julia, even though he is just as sorrowful.

Both Barnabas and Adam are in desperate straits, despite Julia's frantic efforts to save Barnabas. Willie tells her that a week before, Barnabas gave him a hammer and a stake.

At the root cellar, Adam tells Carolyn, Carolyn, go! Adam says. Carolyn promises to come back with a doctor. Lifting his head so he can look into her eyes, Adam declares, Carolyn--good. Then he lapses into unconsciousness. Carolyn is even more frightened.

Professor Stokes arrives, wearing a resplendent red vest. But he can no more help Adam than Julia can help Barnabas. Stokes and Carolyn watch helplessly as Adam's heartbeat grows fainter and fainter. Eventually it stops altogether--

--at exactly the moment when Barnabas's heart apparently also stops. Julia and Willie are distracted with grief. Willie admits, I know I shouldn't have unchained the coffin, but Barnabas was always nice to me. (I suppose that in this crisis, he is willing to overlook Barnabas’s terrible abuse of him in their early days.) Unconsciously rocking back and forth to console herself, Julia orders Willie to bring the necessary tools. She tries, but simply cannot bring herself to carry out Barnabas’s last request. (Lucky thing too, because the hammer has TWO points!) Eventually Julia decides they will bury Barnabas in the woods without staking him.

Carolyn is beside herself with grief, recalling that Adam saved her life. With Zen-like calm, Stokes opines, I think there’s more going on than we know about. Somehow I can’t believe Adam is dead. I will await further developments. But the moments tick relentlessly by, and nothing happens.

Willie has dug the grave, and somehow he and Julia have gotten the coffin into it. Julia forgives Barnabas, knowing he couldn't help doing the terrible things he did. With awkward but sincere sympathy, Willie tells her, You’d feel better if you cried. I'm past crying, Willie, Julia replies, looking beaten and exhausted. If I could imagine life without him, I could cry. But I can't. I can't. Can this really be the end????

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 04:32:01 AM »
Directed by John Weaver. Who the hell is John Weaver - I guess I should watch the credits more often.

I didn't care much for this episode. Despite the 'significance' of all that was happening and the implications, I think it lacked in all areas - acting, writing, etc. It was a very different Dark Shadows. Well, maybe not 'very' but as I stated, it was lacking. I didn't give a damn about anyone or what was happening to them.

There was one interesting tidbit relating to a character - Stokes saying he never believed in miracles but somehow does now (or something to that effect).

All the other characters were pretty much full of shit. If it wasn't out and out lies (Willie) it was inconceivable outpourings of emotion (Carolyn). Julia pretty much stayed true to form but Hall over did it, and the writing didn't help.

The end shot, zooming in on Julia's calves and feet was one for the books.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 09:02:17 AM »
I guess I now see the point in burying Barnabas.  It mystified me before.   It's still a crazy decision.   She did what Joshua did, chickening out on staking Barnabas, because it's too upfront and personal, and instead condemning him to yet another eternal internment, in the ground this time.   I've never seen any reason not to think that Barnabas becomes as conscious as ever when he revives at night, and he'll wake up underground every night for centuries, now.   But as far as Julia's concerned, out of sight, out of mind.  She and Willie talk about him as if he's gone, but he's not.

And what do they say to people?

My only notes on this one say this is Julia's craziest idea ever, and "Julia and Willie really love that old a-hole don't they?"   Barnabas was always one of my TV heroes, but I'm becoming very disillusioned about him now.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 02:52:07 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that, MT. But maybe it did all come down to the fact that the hammer Julia would have used has two pointy ends and she couldn't find another one.  [ghost_wink]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 01:29:18 AM »
I kept looking at the stake and seeing only one point, lol.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 02:11:11 AM »
Carolyn finds Adam clutching his neck and Julia finds Barnabas with bloody neck.  Julia pleads for help as Willie babbles and Barnabas just lies there. Julia just decides to bury Barnabas in the woods without staking him and naturally Willie does all the digging.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 04:46:52 AM »
I have to admit to being a tad disappointed by the first scene in this episode. I was hoping that this would turn out to be one of those dream-within-a-dream moments when a person THINKS he's awakened from a dream only to discover that he is still dreaming. I think it would have been better if Barnabas had awakened in his chair after the bat bit him, only to find Julia still sitting in her seat watching over him and his neck dripping with blood. I thought they were going in that direction with the rather "unreal" sound of the knock on the door. Plus, why do the whole dream curse at all if Angelique is only going to send a bat out to re-curse Barnabas anyway - which she could have done without the curse?

A missed opportunity in my book.  [devil2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 09:14:53 AM »
Yes, the lack of a sensible motivation for the Dream Curse is one of the biggest problems with that stretch of DS. 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor