Author Topic: Top 10 fall movies for 2013: Carrie  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 fall movies for 2013: Carrie
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 08:29:15 PM »
The one thing I don't like is when they call films like this "remakes."  They are not necessarily so.  This version of Carrie is based on Stephen King's novel, not the 1976 cinematic version (same with the 2002 made-for-TV movie).  A movie is a remake only if it's based solely on an original earlier film that has no other source but itself. 

Are all cinematic versions of Dracula remakes of the 1931 film?  No - they are based on the novel by Bram Stoker.  When Steven Spielberg did his 2005 War of the Worlds, he stated it was not a remake of the 1953 classic (although he did pay homage to it in several ways); it was his take on HG Well's 1898 novel.

Anyway, onto something completely different, I think I read somewhere that it was more difficult to make the 2013 Carrie because, for the first time, an actress (Chlore Moretz) playing the character is the same age.  The other actresses who did the role (Sissy Spacek and Angela Bettis) were in their late twenties; Chloe Moretz is a minor.  That hampered filming some scenes, such as in the locker room, that required semi-nudity.  Both Spacek and Bettis were completely naked, even though they played a teenage minor; that couldn't be done with Moretz.  Still, I think it's great that they are using an actual 17-year-old to play a 17-year-old.  To me, she looks more like King's "heroine" who wasn't svelte (like Spacek) or anorexic (like Bettis).  And, although I'm sure Julianne Moore has given her all as Margaret White, as did Piper Laurie (1976) and Patricia Clarkson (2002), I still think it would be great to see Mommie Dearest the way King described her:  a heavy set, even muscular, woman with a pudgy face, rimless glasses and hair tied up in a bun - maybe even Kathy Bates. 

For those who haven't seen it, here it is.  I don't remember if it's already been posted here; it probably was and probably by me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H369sxjyhx8

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
interesting point about the locker room scene and moretz's age...

as a related tangent I have often wondered if 'the exorcist' could even get made today in the same way? while there was no nudity per se the language and situations that a minor actress(linda blair)was put through were beyond the pale. i'm stunned it was permitted and wonder if it would be today?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 02:44:17 PM »
I do wonder about what Linda Blair - who I think was 14 when she played the possessed Regan - had to do.  Even though her "demonic" voice was dubbed by Mercedes McCambridge, she still had to say the lines with all the very strong language.  Our own Denise Nickerson was up for the part and it was her mother who put the kabash on her accepting the role because of the language and the violent scenes.

Gerard

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 07:26:39 PM »
I didn't know that Denise was up for that part. How fascinating.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 07:56:38 PM »
in another interesting DS connection monica rich kosann told me that she was up for the 'exorcist' part as well and came quite close to getting it. envision that if you will...

apparently her mother pushed for the role but her father was, quite understandably, horrified. at any rate it ended up going to miss blair and the rest is history.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 10:17:23 PM »
I have zero interest in seeing Moretz do Carrie.  Had Kathy Bates been cast in the Piper Laurie role, that would have made me curious to see it.  Bates is one of the few really skilled actresses working today (though we seem to see her very seldom--wonder if she's on television now?).

Had the movie been made in Europe, there would have been no fuss about a seventeen year old being nude.  But we live in this delightfully neurotic country where dreadful physical mutilations occur routinely onscreen in loving slo-mo and extreme close-up, but we're still treating the unclothed human body as "dirty."  SIGH.

OK, time for me to take a break... I'm sure the movie will be a huge success for Moretz.  At this point there seems to be no stopping her.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 10:33:26 PM »
Bates is one of the few really skilled actresses working today (though we seem to see her very seldom--wonder if she's on television now?).

She will be appearing on Ryan Murphy's American Horror Story: Coven come this October. She'll be portraying the real life person Madame Marie Delphine LaLaurie, a Louisiana-born socialite and serial killer known for her involvement in the torture and murder of black slaves.

we live in this delightfully neurotic country where dreadful physical mutilations occur routinely onscreen in loving slo-mo and extreme close-up, but we're still treating the unclothed human body as "dirty."  SIGH.

Sigh, indeed.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 02:52:25 AM »
Thanks, MB.  That certainly sounds like an interesting role for Bates--and grisly, too!

Given that the subtitle is "Coven," I do wonder if there will be Witchiness involved...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 03:38:42 AM »
Given that the subtitle is "Coven," I do wonder if there will be Witchiness involved...

Oh, yes - it takes place in a girl's school where witchcraft is on the curriculum and Jessica Lange is the returned former headmistress.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 07:50:54 PM »
If you're at all curious about Carrie, you may want to tune into today's installment of Entertainment Tonight because apparently they'll be doing a segment on the film.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 08:15:47 PM »
is it set in the 1970's or has it been "updated" thus including contemporary issue like cyber bullying etc?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 10:38:31 PM »
I believe it's been updated, Michael, just as the '02 version was.  One of my favorite scenes in that version was, after Carrie did research about her "condition" on a school library computer (not ever having used one before and asking the librarian to show her how to do a search), she confronts her mother.  When she tells her mother that she's not the only one, she says:  "I read about it on the internet."  Mommie Dearest replies:  "The internet," as if it was something evil and vile.

Gerard