Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0532_0533  (Read 1243 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0532_0533
« on: August 29, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »
Robservations #532_533

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0532_0533

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 05:31:22 PM »
Maggie is wearing a red skirt and vest with a yellow blouse and red “mod” necktie. This outfit would have been the height of fashion--in 1964. I guess the Summer of Love didn't happen in Collinsport.

When Maggie and Vicki get to the hospital, they find Joe wearing a picturesque bandage on his forehead. He assures Maggie that he’ll be all right. I guess I owe my life to Barnabas, he muses, little suspecting how right he is.

Barnabas and Cassangelique have their big scene (nice job by JF). At least she isn't wearing the awful butterfly-print robe. With great dignity he tells her, Just give me a chance to speak, and then I will leave quietly. You probably know that Vicki has had the dream. But you don’t know her as I do. She won’t come running to me and tell me the dream. Her strength of character and her feeling for me will not allow it. [Here Cassandra lowers her eyes in disappointment.] Therefore she will probably go on suffering the effects of the dream day after day and night after night--and I will not allow that to happen to her. Cassandra draws near as he continues with even greater dignity: So I am willing to submit to you. It is I you have always wanted: You may have me. I give you my solemn word that I will always try to be what I was to you in the beginning, in Martinique. If you stop Vicki’s suffering, I will do everything in my power to love you and to be faithful to you for all time. Cassandra finds it necessary to walk away and turn away from him as he finishes: Now please give every consideration to what I have said. If and when you’ve reached a decision, you will find me at the Old House. [Jonathan actually says, You will find me at Collinwood--at the Old House.] Without waiting for her to answer, he leaves. Cassandra is taken completely by surprise. She begins to smile--perhaps at memories of Martinique? Could you every really love me, Barnabas? she asks, her eyes bright with tears (!). I wish I could believe that. You don’t know how much I wish I could believe that!

Maggie brings the terrified Vicki back to Collinwood. Nicholas comes from the back of the house (via the door under the stairs) to find them both (nice work by HAA). Vicki rushes upstairs immediately, but Nicholas is struck motionless--and quite uncharacteristically speechless--when he sees Maggie for the first time. Her innate sweetness and innocence are impossible for him to resist. He stares at her so intently--though not actually boldly or rudely--that she looks away. He introduces himself and says, Cassandra told me about you, but I expected to find you just an average, though attractive, young woman. I hope you aren’t disappointed by what you see, Maggie replies modestly. You’re far more beautiful than I could have imagined, he replies gravely. Utterly unable to tear himself from her presence, he offers her coffee or even a drink. She turns him down gently, explaining, I have to leave right away to go to the hospital to see my fiancé. Nicholas almost certainly did not include a fiancé in his calculations, but he takes the news in stride, offering to drive Maggie back to the hospital.

When Nicholas returns, though, he's furious with Cassange for not speaking to Vicki. Cass is still starry-eyed with hope and sullenly agrees to obey. But when she does, Vicki gives her the dressing-down of several lifetimes, declaring she would rather die than tell Barnabas the dream.

But Nicholas has a way around this roadblock too....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 07:04:40 PM »
Nick sees Maggie, begins [spoiler]the mooning process that will bring about his downfall, right after lowering the boom on Angessandralique, over her besottenness.[/spoiler]   Barnabas's "proposal" to Ang was passably interesting.    Good for Vicki, confronting Cass-- it was almost like she was dealing with Laura.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 07:18:02 PM »
I hope the episode lives up to your fabulous review/synopsis, DarkLady. I'm almost afraid to watch it now. lol

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 08:06:51 PM »
I meant to mention it for yesterday's episode that it's kind of incomplete that Stokes wasn't trying to find Adam or Haskell, etc.

Anyone think Maggie and Vicki should think back to the past and that Barn's bite is similar to Maggie's and all the others that were attacked by Barnabas.

Maggie looks cute, even if it is retro.

Nice shot of the the Great House turret.

6:15 AM, Maggie is dressed rather early - I guess a left-over habit from opening the diner. And I agree. DarkLady, the scene with Frid & Blair was perfectly executed, in my opinion, by both men. Even the music and camera work was marvelous. Though a short scene, the writing was good.

Joe tells his story to the sheriff and now Stokes has some 'splainin' to do.

Why does Joe have fake side burns, really

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »
Maggie looks cute

There are a few publicity stills of KLS wearing that outfit, so apparently the show thought she looked good in it too.

6:15 AM, Maggie is dressed rather early - I guess a left-over habit from opening the diner.

I've always presumed she's still dressed from the day before. Doesn't she make a comment that she'd been looking for Joe most of the night? And, well, just because she's wearing a different outfit from when Joe left the cottage to go to Stokes' place doesn't mean anything in the DS universe where people wear different clothes in a different iteration of the same scene.  [ghost_wink]  [ghost_rolleyes]  Though I suppose it's also possible that she looked for Joe, obviously didn't find him, went home and to bed, but couldn't sleep, so she got up really early and got dressed.

Why does Joe have fake side burns, really

Does he? I can't say I've ever noticed. But I'll pay attention from now on.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 08:28:04 PM »
Thanks, dom--I hope you enjoyed it!

About Joe's fake sideburns: I know that [spoiler]we go back to 1795 one last time, and he's in it, but I don't remember whether Forbes has sideburns or not. [/spoiler]

Nicholas's hypocrisy is a hoot!   [ghost_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »
I hope that Joe's sideburns aren't like Nathan's - then I really would be blind!  [ghost_blink]

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 05:57:21 AM »
I did enjoy it very much DarkLady. I thought it was a wonderful episode. My post above was accidental, and then I lost my completed post in a 'session timed out' tragedy or something of that nature, I was attaching a photo and that was all she wrote. Instead of backpaging I shut the browser down hoping it had posted. I was so annoyed I took a two hour nap to get over it, lol.

You did a marvelous job capturing the essence of it.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 06:04:57 AM »
No one seems to have contacted Maggie about Joe. Barnabas calls her in the morning.  There is a nice shot of the tower amid the trees that appears to be new. BarNabas says he will submit and try to lover her. Angelique wants this but can't quite trust it.   Nicholas meets Maggie Nd is quite taken with her. He says he will drive Maggie so apparently she and Vickie came via taxi.  Cassandra tells her sibling she has won, but he says only revenge can happen no love. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 08:27:08 AM »
The reply I posted somehow got lost too.   The gist was an idle speculation that maybe fake sideburns were slapped on Joe in at attempt to jump on a trend.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 04:44:24 PM »
Thanks, dom!  *blush*

If Joe's sidburns are fake, they won't be the last fake sideburns we'll see!  [ghost_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 04:56:29 PM »
I haven't had the chance to check the actual eps yet, but I did look at the '68 publicity photos of Crothers with KLS in which she's wearing the outfit from this show, and in those photos his sideburns certainly look real. But, of course, who knows if those photos were taken before these eps were shot or after? And we all know about a certain other actor on the show who wore fake sideburns until his own grew in.  [ghost_wink]  Though, at least in that case, the sideburns for his character were much more pronounced than what Crothers ever sported as Joe.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 09:17:11 PM »
I'm in the middle of switching tapes and the cover of volume 60 is the publicity still of Maggie and Joe that MB is talking about. Joe has pretty thick and long sideburns so I am probably wrong about the fake sideburns. Perhaps they are darkened for TV because they looked fake to me in the side shot of him with the bandage around his head.

I imagine I am wrong about Maggie being up too early also, because she does say as MB pointed out that she'd been out looking for Joe. When the grandfather clock in the foyer of the great house strikes 6:15 AM in the next scene, it prompted me to think that Maggie sure was dressed nice and up early. I totally forgot about her statement about looking for Joe.

Of course, now I am second guessing whether Joe fell out of a closet or a wardrobe, lol.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 07:38:39 PM »
There are a few publicity stills of KLS wearing that outfit, so apparently the show thought she looked good in it too.

You know I just thought of something: it's funny how there are quite a few publicity stills of Maggie wearing that outfit, but this might actually be the only ep that she ever wore it in.  [wink2] Yet she wears that hideous dress with the big yellow collar (the one she wears in Ep #537) quite often.