Author Topic: Wolf Moon Rising novel  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Wolf Moon Rising novel
« on: August 27, 2013, 11:56:05 PM »
I just finished the new book "Dark Shadows: Wolf Moon Rising".

Either Lara Parker didn't do her research or this is the aftereffect of the 1840 storyline. I liked the story in the present time but the 1929 part was too much- bootleggers, the Klan, Liz a movie star and in a romance with her great uncle Quentin!

This also makes both Liz and Roger a decade older then they should be.

And one thing that always irritates me more then anything else: Can a story ever include Jamison's nameless wife???

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Wolf Moon Rising novel
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »
as I recall from my reading of the abysmal 'the salem branch' parker's knowledge of the series narrative is minimal at best. which is pretty stunning since she was on it every day for four years.

she just makes up random stuff and then cuts and pastes the names and Collinwood location across it. so this report does not surprise me one bit.

I shudder to think of the treatment she's got in store for Victoria in her next magnum opus. [ghost_tongue]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 03:09:28 AM »
"Parker didn't do her research"--thanks, Joey, for that laugh.  I needed it tonight.

cheers, Gothick

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 03:12:46 AM »
Actually LP had long periods of hiatus from the show.  Despite what I think of her as a writer, I always found the show more lively and fun when she was on.

And I'll also say in her favor, that at least Parker markets her work as fiction.  There's a high imaginative content, for lack of a better phrase, in the KLS books, but she sells those as if they're historical documentations of the series and its production history.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 04:19:19 AM »
they are marketed as fiction...

but since they are "official"(deemed so by whomever does such things with authority these days, jim pierson?)like the audiodramas and the comics some fans will insists they are continuity and/or canon no matter how far off the beam they go storywise.

over on one of the FB boards someone was recently insisting that the RTTC presentation was "official continuity" because, of all things, it was written by david selby's son as if that makes a difference.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 04:51:38 AM »
I've stated my own views about "canon" a few times here.  As far as I am concerned, Return to Collinwood is not canon.  Period. 

I learned the hard way because for the longest time, I regarded Sam Hall's early 1970s TV Guide article as canon.  It was MB who finally made me realize that while I could enjoy the article for what it was, what is was not was part of the DS canon.

The idea of people treating the Lara Parker novels as canon... well, it's a free country, at least where speculation about Dark Shadows is concerned.

G.

David

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 05:15:41 AM »
everything can be considered canon if you take the various parallel times into account.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »
I don't believe parker's novels or the RTC scenario are presented as "parallel time" stories.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 08:10:16 PM »
All of the novels and audio dramas are merely authorized works, not official DS canon. But regardless, since we know that the original series was rather "continuity-challenged", I think all we should really expect from any of these new works is that it be internally consistent. That is, would it present a complete, consistent story to someone coming to it without any other DS knowledge. For example, is Elizabeth a complete character, and does everything told about her make sense within this story, apart from any other story having been told about Elizabeth anywhere else?

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 12:52:07 AM »
in terms of a completely fictitious situation one can believe whatever one wants because none of it is "real" anyways so there's really no way to prove or disprove anything...

but with the recent onslaught of "authorized" and "licenced" and "official" works of fiction debates arise because there are fans that, because of this "authorization", consider whatever the writers come up with to be official DS continuity/canon and then will insist on it.

for instance now there are fans that will tell you in no uncertain terms that Vicki is Elizabeth's daughter. period. end of story. how can they make this assertion when the series itself never resolved this particular plot with any finality??? because the RTC presentation said so!

to me that's a real stretch. since it was unresolved on the television series to my mind it remains unresolved. now what happens if lara's next literary masterwork contradicts the conclusion set up by RTC??? is it negated because lara's work is also "authorized" and "official"???

apparently the "year one" comic book series (which I have not read) reveals...
[spoiler]that Vicki lived and died only in the eighteenth century. she did not come from, or return to, 1967.[/spoiler]

this product is also "authorized" but how on earth does one square that with OS canon??? some are calling this series another 'parallel time' DS universe. but I didn't think that was the point. the title "year one" would strongly imply to the reader it is an attempt to clarify and flesh out events from the series 1970s sequence, not set up an entirely new and different universe for one to absorb.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »
I just started Wolf Moon and the first thing that struck me was her over-use of adjectives. I remember this from the last book LP wrote. I would stress that she read Stephen King's "On Writing".
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

David

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 02:23:09 PM »
I think some people get a little too obsessive about their obsessions.

There's Dracula by Bram Stoker.
Dracula (1931) with Bela Lugosi
Horror of Dracula (1958) with Christopher Lee
Dan Curtis' Dracula (1973)
Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula (1992)

which one is "canon"?
none.
They're all original works based on the same source material.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »
There was also the excellent PBS version with Louis Jourdain in the title role. That was probably the most faithful one I've ever seen. But I take your point, D-E.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 05:59:27 PM »
Bram Stoker's Dracula would and always will be the canon version of Dracula. For anything to be a canon version of Dracula, it cannot deviate from what's established in the novel. If a Dracula version goes off on its own and establishes its own rules and stories, it becomes its own entity entirely. A completely separate canon would be established for the one that goes off on its own, and hopefully any subsequent stories that claim to be within that version will then follow the new canon which was established in the deviating version. This is how I look at the different versions of DS. For example, the original show, the '70s movies, the '91 DS, and the Depp/DS film all have their own separate canons. All of those versions subsequent to the original do not fit within the canon of the original - and that's all perfectly fine with me because they're DS entities unto themselves. However, where I have a problem is when subsequent versions claim they do indeed fit within the original show's canon and they're a continuation of that canon, yet they make significant enough changes that make it impossible for them to actually fit within the original show's canon. Such an example is Lara Parker's Angelique's Descent. As I've lamented ad nauseum (so I'll try to keep things as brief as possible this time around), it was originally released with the promise that it fit completely within the original show - going so far as to recreate established 1795/96 scenes word for word. However, once it inserted its own dialogue into a scene that aired as part of the show, dialogue that instantly changed the entire thrust of that established scene, there's no denying that it totally broke from the canon of the original show and went off on its own. And that would have been perfectly fine had there not been claims that the novel fit completely within the original show. But due to the changes, any claims that that novel could possibly be original show canon are completely and utterly erroneous.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »
What distinguishes the audio series is their efforts to remain faithful to the original series. That coupled with the fact that they are using original series cast members convinces me that it should be considered canon. Many people dismiss it because it's "simply audio." If that's the case, Guiding Light fans need to ignore decades of radio eps that came before the TV series. Like Star Trek the Next Generation, I see it as a legitimate continuation of the show.