Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #293 -- John Karlen; Lara Parker  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #293 -- John Karlen; Lara Parker
« on: August 24, 2013, 03:42:11 PM »
SHADOWGRAM OFFICIAL ONLINE DARK SHADOWS NEWS UPDATE # 293

August 23, 2013

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS) announces the following breaking news in this Official Online News Update "bulletin."

**** UPDATING: JOHN KARLEN IN MEDICAL REHABILITATION
**** LARA PARKER – NEW DS NOVEL BOOK TOUR UNDERWAY

***** UPDATE: JOHN KARLEN IN REHAB CENTER
SG Update # 292 reported that JOHN (Willie, Carl, William H. Loomis, Desmond, Kendrick, NODS’ Alex) has been convalescing in a Los Angeles rehabilitation facility for the past several weeks, dealing with various health issues.

The Update noted some of his DS colleagues have had visits with him: David Selby (Quentin), Lara Parker (Angelique), Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie), and Jim Storm (Gerard). Robert Rodan (Adam) also recently visited him.

Today (Aug. 23), Jim Pierson (DS Festival director/Dan Curtis Productions rep) and myself (Marcy Robin, SG Editor/Publisher) spent time with him in his room at the center.

We had a lively conversation ranging over a variety of subjects. John discussed musical/acting performers he’s admired over the years. “No one can top” Bobby Darin for his multi-faceted singing talents, or Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers for their incomparable dancing skills, or Sammy Davis Jr. (an old friend of John’s) for his delightful abilities in singing, acting, comedy, and more.

He greeted us warmly and firmly shook hands with both of us when we were leaving. He’s thinner than he’s been in decades, but looks good and was very animated in conversation. He says his son Adam "is beautiful" (tapping his heart as he said it) for supporting him during this time. He continues to deal with mobility issues and diabetes-related complications, but remains upbeat and appreciative of all the get-well wishes he’s received from DS fans via cards and letters.

John hopes to be leaving the rehabilitation center in a few days to a new home where he will be looked after by a nurse while he pursues his desire to regain his health.

He also said he’s looking forward to attending the 2014 DS Festival next summer in Tarrytown, NY. (SG will announce confirmed details soon.) This would be his first DS event in nearly 4 years.

While reminiscing with us today, John recalled being part of the very first DS convention in 1977 when he appeared as our only DS guest during the ShadowCon part of StarCon in San Diego (see SG Update # 292). Over the decades, he’s has been a major part of DS Fest reunions in California, New York, and New Jersey. In recent years, he’s reprised his original characters of “Willie” and “Carl” in various new DS episodes done as audio dramas for Big Finish Productions, available on CD and via digital downloads online.

During his rehabilitation, John enjoys watching sports and old movies on television, in addition to partaking of take-out food he orders in place of what he says is the “inedible cuisine“ served at the center.

If you have not yet sent John a get-well message and would like to do so, please send it by postal-mail only (He has no computer or internet).

John Karlen
Studio City Rehabilitation Center, Room 10
11429 Ventura Blvd.
Studio City, CA 91604

SG thanks you for sharing your good wishes and healing thoughts with him!

**** LARA PARKER IN BOOKSTORE EVENTS FOR HER NEW DS NOVEL
SG Update # 291 detailed Lara’s appearances from now until mid-September as she travels the country to promote her 3rd DS novel, “Dark Shadows: Wolf Moon Rising.”

She launched the 3-week tour on the Aug. 20 official publication date with an autograph session, reading, and audience Q&A at the Barnes & Noble store at the trendy The Grove in Los Angeles. Among the attendees were her DS colleagues Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie) and Roger Davis (Jeff). Her husband, sons, daughter-in-law, and grandson Wesley also were there.

The enthusiastic crowd of 50+ welcomed her and enjoyed her reading. Interesting questions were posed about the human fascination with the Vampire: “We want to be immortal, to live forever, yet we are repulsed by death itself.” There is “a fascination with the idea that someone might rise from the dead,” in a way defeating it while also causing others to suffer and die.

Lara was at Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego the next night, Aug. 22, where approximately 20 people joined her for a reading, autographs, and photos.

Tonight (Aug. 23), she was at Borderlands Books in San Francisco.

SG here repeats the rest of her book tour appearances. I hope many of you can attend. Please share your photos, reports, any media coverage and publicity with SG. Send all materials to SG’s e- or postal- mail addresses, found in this Update.

Sun., Aug. 25 – 4:00 pm – Barnes & Noble - 7227 SW Bridgeport Road, Tigard, OR (Portland - Bridgeport area). (503) 431-7575.

Fri.-Sun., Aug. 30 – Sept. 1 – DragonCon convention (with Kathryn Leigh Scott) – Atlanta, GA 30303. www.dragoncon.org

Wed., Sept. 4 – 7:00 pm - Barnes & Noble, 2416 E. Colonial Dr., Orlando, FL 32803. (407) 894-6024.

Thurs, Sept. 5 – 6:00 pm – Booksellers at Laurelwood, 387 Perkins Extended, Memphis, TN 3811. (901) 683-9801.

Mon., Sept. 9 – 7:00 pm – Barnes & Noble - 150 E. 86 St. NYC, NY 10028. (212) 369-2180.

Sat., Sept. 14 – 2:00 pm – Dark Delicacies - 3512 W. Magnolia Blvd., Burbank, CA. (818) 556-6660 / 1-888-DARKDEL

FOR THE RECORD: SG apologizes for any confusion: In Update # 291, I inadvertently wrote Monday, Sept.14. It actually is a Saturday, as noted above.

Marcy Robin

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #293 -- John Karlen; Lara Parker
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 01:12:25 AM »
I hope that Mr. Kalren, who I got to meet at the '08 festival, gets back on his feet as quikly as possible.  What a talemted ,man!  I'm surprised JP didn't use his condition to try and make more money.  Okay, that was bad, my apologies, but then I don't like JP because to him DS is all about making for him money, money, money.  Okay, I'm bad.  "nuf said, wrong place.

Mr. Karlen, all my best do you!  Get better!  You've done so much for us!  (Unlike somebody else who's only into it for his own money, mon...  Okay, enough from me about him [and I hope he's reading this because when it comes to him, all I can do is pu...; okay, my bad]).

Get well soon, Mr. Karlen!

Gerard  (And again, I apologize, but those who are into this for only money really burn me.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 02:41:30 AM »
I understand how you feel, Gerard, but so far as I am aware, Jim Pierson actually works for Dan Curtis Productions (or whatever it's called now) as a paid employee.

I love the books I catalogue (well, some of them *wink*) for the large University library that employs me, but I'm "in it for the money" because if I don't get paid, I can't provide for myself and keep it all going.

Just a thought.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 02:47:13 AM »
And needless to say, best wishes to John Karlen as he continues on his road back to health/wellness!

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 05:39:30 PM »
**** LARA PARKER IN BOOKSTORE EVENTS FOR HER NEW DS NOVEL

Wed., Sept. 4 – 7:00 pm - Barnes & Noble, 2416 E. Colonial Dr., Orlando, FL

Photos on Central Florida DS Fan Club Fb page:

https://www.facebook.com/CentralFlaDarkShadows

Love the group photo with Lara.  You all look fantastic!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 05:46:36 PM »
And there's an update on JK on KLS' Fb page from Sept. 4, which begins, "Good news about Johnny Karlen!"--  https://www.facebook.com/kathrynleighscott

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 03:28:30 AM »
Thanx for the link, Midnite, it was a sweet and uplifting note.

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 03:07:02 PM »
We had a great turnout in Orlando for Lara's booksigning. Even though she was pretty worn from 4 days at Dragoncon, Lara was soooo generous with her time. She did a meet and greet with her fans from 5:30 pm to 7pm - then signed her new book and posed for pictures with her fans from 7pm to almost 10pm closing time. It was difficult to get an exact count of the crowd because people were filtering in all evening - but my last total was 85 people. It was an amazing evening.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 04:23:28 PM »
Would it be possible to post TLATKLS's words about John Karlen here?  For those of us who don't belong to facebook, we can't see it.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 04:49:46 AM »
Quote from: Kathryn Leigh Scott
Jim Pierson saw Johnny last night, bringing him dinner . . . and I stopped in this morning at nine a.m. to see him before his son Adam takes him home. He looked so much better than when I saw him the first time . . . he's walking on his own and his spirits are great. Adam has found him a small house to live in and he'll have nursing care . . . he's thrilled to be going home!

He talked about the tons of cards he got and how much it meant to see us . . and he said to say "hello!" We sat on his bed talking about our fathers . . . it couldn't have been a better visit.

Johnny is such a special person in all our lives . . . we love him and wish him full recovery. He's promised to cook me dinner!

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 12:46:56 AM »
I'm delighted to hear that John Karlen is doing better and has been released from the hospital.  A couple of weeks ago, I sent Mr. Karlen a get well card and an attached note with several jokes, which I hope he got a laugh or two out of. (Of course, none of those jokes will be repeated here!). [ghost_rolleyes] [ghost_grin]

And, speaking of "JP," I'm currently reading the book, "Dark Shadows: Return To Collinwood, written by Kathryn Leigh Scott and the aforementioned "JP."  In fact, "JP" has written a chapter in this excellent book, entitled, "Hidden in the Shadows," dealing with the late, great Dan Curtis' attempts to get "Dark Shadows" back on television after the cancellation of the 1991 NBC "Dark Shadows" series.  Mr. P. details the unsuccessful efforts to get "Dark Shadows" on the WB Network in 2004.

I must say that "JP" figures prominently in much of the "Dark Shadows" happenings, on and off screen; there is a photograph in the book of a smiling "JP" at a dinner party at KLS' home along with Jonathan Frid, Lara Parker, John Karlen, and David Selby, among others DS celebrities.  And, there is another photograph of the apparently ubiquitous (and unfailingly convivial ) "JP," seated a retaurant table in England along with JF, KLS, LP and DS during the filming of the recent Johnny Depp/Tim Burton "Dark Shadows" flick.  This man really gets around!!!  [ghost_wink] [ghost_grin]

Anyway, this book by KLS and "JP" features some terrific photographs of all the "Dark Shadows" incarnations and I wholeheartedly recommend it to all of my cousins.

Bob