Author Topic: Monday's Trip to Newport  (Read 995 times)

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
Monday's Trip to Newport
« on: September 03, 2003, 05:10:23 AM »
 :(
I have to say how dissapointed at the trip to the Carry Mansion and Blue Whale. Due to the late start and bus trouble that caused a further delay we didn't get to Newport until very late in the day. Our driver also didn't seem to know to avoid narrow Dead End streets or know where the house was so lots of wasted time.  We had very little time to see the Blue Whale/Black Pearl and eat.
No more side trips for me unless they are within the area.

LdyAnne

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Monday's Trip to Newport
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 05:50:37 AM »
Sorry to hear the trip to Newport was such a downer. I realize it's probably the only opportunity some fans may ever have to see "Collinwood", but truthfully, a trip from NYC to Newport and back all in one day is pretty insane. :(

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 06:31:32 AM »
I totally agree that a day trip to Newport is silly.  I went there before the fes.  Landed at Laguardia at noon, rented a car, and drove to Newport. It was nearly 6 by the time I got there.  I admit that traffic was unusually horrible when I went, but  I can't imagine 4 busloads of people trying to get there and back in one day.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 02:42:46 PM »
Well, I'm sorry folks did not enjoy the trip to Newport, but it *is* a very long drive from NYC.

However, for me visiting the *real* Collinwood and its grounds is an experience with a unique magic that never fails to leave me spellbound.  It's really uncanny to walk around the house, and then go inside and look out of windows that you looked into so many times as a child.

The walk along the cliffs is breathtaking, too.  If you've seen the 1966 and early 1967 shows, there's an extra layer of associations because of all the filming they did back then on the site.

G.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 02:55:58 PM »
Well, I'm sorry folks did not enjoy the trip to Newport, but it *is* a very long drive from NYC.

However, for me visiting the *real* Collinwood and its grounds is an experience with a unique magic that never fails to leave me spellbound.  It's really uncanny to walk around the house, and then go inside and look out of windows that you looked into so many times as a child.

The walk along the cliffs is breathtaking, too.  If you've seen the 1966 and early 1967 shows, there's an extra layer of associations because of all the filming they did back then on the site.

i second this :) it's well worth the trip but too hard to do in a one day trip from
NYC

jennifer
we're coming to the most beautiful time in NE  :) fall! :)Best time to visit Newport :)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 07:05:23 PM »
I enjoyed seeing the estate and took many pictures. In a way I was even glad to see it in such a sad state of disrepair unlike its more cared for neighbors like the breakers. The broken plaster revealing the brick underneith and the over grown terrace gave it an air of the gothic that seems so right for DS.

I just wished we had more time to explore more. I guess that will have to wait for a private trip back to the area.

LdyAnne