Author Topic: Future Festivals and Return to Collinwood News  (Read 3076 times)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
Future Festivals and Return to Collinwood News
« on: September 02, 2003, 06:44:17 PM »
http://www.collinwood.net - The Dark Shadows Journal Online

* News Updates

Jim Pierson speaks exclusively about the future of the Festival and the venue for the 2004 event, along with news on the recording of "Return to Collinwood" and commentary on the production

Check it out!

Cheers

Stuart :)
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Future Festivals and Return to Collinwood News
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 06:49:11 PM »
Fantastic review, Stuart.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 07:09:15 PM »
Hi, Stuart thanks for the info it's super news!!
               LOve Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 11:00:06 PM »
Thanks for posting this, Stuart.  I wonder just what Mr. Pierson means by the statement that events will continue to be held "if the support is there"?  On the heels of the announcement that this year's Festival broke all preceding attendance records (despite the difficulties many fans expressed with Labor Day weekend as a date), it would seem obvious that there's a real market for Dark Shadows conventions out there.

I wonder what format the Tarrytown Festival will take?  I know there's no way that Lyndhurst could accommodate more than a fraction of the crowds the Festivals traditionally attact, though, if there's nice weather, fans could have fun outdoors on the grounds socializing and perhaps sharing picnic baskets.  I'm assuming the main base of the event would be an area hotel, with the traditional day trip to Lyndhurst occupying at least one day's events.

I wonder whether there have ever been discussions with the Carey family about having the event in Newport and at least one day spent on the grounds of the *real* Collinwood?  Again, issues of crowd control might make this prohibitive.  The house is already suffering a lot from the wear and tear of the elements.

G.

Nancy

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 11:29:21 PM »
Thanks for posting this, Stuart.  I wonder just what Mr. Pierson means by the statement that events will continue to be held "if the support is there"?  On the heels of the announcement that this year's Festival broke all preceding attendance records (despite the difficulties many fans expressed with Labor Day weekend as a date), it would seem obvious that there's a real market for Dark Shadows conventions out there.

Steve, I'd be surprised if this year's attendance really was a record breaker.  The NY Fests have usually been huge and I know that the year Nancy Barrett made her debut the attendance was in the thousands.  This year I was told that there were many many new fans and quite a few kids too.   I wonder if the "support" statement had more to do with the fact that fans do not react well to change as we have seen when the hotel location changed, for example.  Tarrytown will be less convenient to get to for those travelling from other parts of the country since it is a good distance from the airports.  The format would have to be different in that environment too.  I guess it remains to see how it all pans out.

I suspected that Labor Day traffic would not be as bad as had been forecasted and it wasn't.  The festivals in New York usually are held during the summer and Friday afternoon/evenings and Sunday afternoon/evenings are always bad to travel in because of heavier than normal traffic going/coming back from the shore or elsewhere on vacation.   This year, Sunday was Labor Day Monday.   I drove up and back from New York during the worst travelling times and it wasn't any worse than normal for summer traffic.

Nancy

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 01:24:30 AM »
I wonder just what Mr. Pierson means by the statement that events will continue to be held "if the support is there"?

Like Nancy, I'm assuming Pierson means supporting an event that isn't necessarily based in one venue, like a hotel. Going back as early as the pre-Fest ShadowCon days, the biggest fan gatherings have always been at one venue.

On the heels of the announcement that this year's Festival broke all preceding attendance records (despite the difficulties many fans expressed with Labor Day weekend as a date), it would seem obvious that there's a real market for Dark Shadows conventions out there.

It doesn't really surprise me that this year's Fest was well attended. The last Fest to be held during a Labor Day weekend (NYC 1989) was well attended (and some fans had even mentioned that they really liked the Fest to be held during the holiday weekend) - and then there's the added promotion that this was going to be the "last" full Fest.

I wonder what format the Tarrytown Festival will take?  I know there's no way that Lyndhurst could accommodate more than a fraction of the crowds the Festivals traditionally attact, though, if there's nice weather, fans could have fun outdoors on the grounds socializing and perhaps sharing picnic baskets.  I'm assuming the main base of the event would be an area hotel, with the traditional day trip to Lyndhurst occupying at least one day's events.

Pierson seems to be considering two or three days in Tarrytown but possibly only a day trip to Lyndhurst, so it's anyone's guess at this point what form the event will take...

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 01:28:40 AM »
Where on Stuart's website is this update posted?  Perhaps it's because I am using WebTV (I shall have a computer by the end of the month), but when I click on the "News" link, the most recent update I see is from August 24.

Thanks!

John

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 01:52:34 AM »
There are several motels and hotels in Tarrytown, including a fairly large Marriott.....I know, I spent my wedding night there.  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2003, 04:49:48 AM »
I was able to access the latest update on Stuart's site...

Now I'm really anxious to see what the 2004 event is going to be.  If it's going to be held in Tarrytown over a weekend, then I imagine that a hotel would have to be involved to some degree.  I can't imagine the powers that be who run Lyndhurst allowing the Fest to have the run of the grounds for an entire weekend, and I doubt they could accommodate such Fest staples as video screenings, Q&A panels with the cast, and a dealers' room.  Granted, the Carriage House could be used as a dealers' room, but many of the activities would have to take place on the grounds, preferably under tents.  And while the idea of a DS Outdoor Faire sounds nice, it might not be the most practical format.

In any event, I'm glad that the DS Fests will be continuing in some form.

Regards,

John

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2003, 11:41:22 PM »
Okay....I've been trying to ask....

WHO'S JIM PIERSON??!!!
(I know I'm a duff for not knowing) :-

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2003, 02:09:43 AM »
If it is in Tarrytown, connecting flights could come through Stewart International Airport with shuttles scheduled for arriving flights to bring fest attendees to the selected hotel in Tarrytown.  This is not a simple process and would involve extensive research into the logistics of such a feat.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2003, 03:28:47 AM »
Of course, if you can get yourself into Manhattan, Tarrytown is only about a half hour out of Grand Central Station by Metro North train.  ;)

And for those of you who don't mind spending $400 a night you can always stay at "The Castle at Tarrytown"....[lghy].
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2003, 12:09:32 AM »
Okay....I've been trying to ask....

WHO'S JIM PIERSON??!!!
(I know I'm a duff for not knowing) :-

I know I will be corrected if I am wrong but he is the overall director of the Fests. I believe he works for Dan Curtis Production and ensures the Fests go well.

IMHO though he is somewhat ill thought of he has a hard job puting one of these together and of the two I have attended they seem for the most part smoothly run.

LdyAnne

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2003, 01:04:29 AM »
I wonder whether there have ever been discussions with the Carey family about having the event in Newport and at least one day spent on the grounds of the *real* Collinwood?  Again, issues of crowd control might make this prohibitive.  The house is already suffering a lot from the wear and tear of the elements.

I can answer that question Gothick.  :) On both my 1997 and 1999 visits to Seaview, I discussed this very subject with the Carey's.  Mr. Carey had even suggested that should an event like this come about, it would be a good idea to rent and erect a large tent on the grounds to help accommodate the event.

I think the major concerns with hosting an event in Newport is two-fold. First off, I believe the nearest major airport is in Providence, and that is some 32 miles from Newport. Secondly, while Newport is a summer haven for tourism, the hotel situation there is limited and can be quite expensive.

Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2003, 02:35:20 AM »
Secondly, while Newport is a summer haven for tourism, the hotel situation there is limited and can be quite expensive.

To say the least.  ;)

Actually, though, there are much cheaper hotels in the area, but the closest are about a 20/30 minute drive away from Seaview. I live about that same distance from the house, but I can only fit about 20 people in sleeping bags if they want to sleep on my floor - 30 if they don't mind sleeping on top of one another.  :D