Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0524  (Read 687 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0524
« on: August 17, 2013, 05:18:13 PM »
Robservations #524

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0524

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 07:40:15 PM »
Vicki revels in the fact that Peter Bradford is back. And Jeff - still annoying. Vicki suggests hypnosis as a means for Jeff to discover his past - via Stokes, not Julia - maybe she is unaware of Julia's gift. I wasn't even aware that Jeff knows of Stokes.

"It can't be true! It's against all logic and reason! People who are two hundred years old are all dead now!" (Uh, yeah, uh huh)

Everything Jeff tells Vicki is pretty realistic under the circumstances. It's nice that someone is 'normal' and just doesn't swallow the spookiness without question. Though I guess it would be fair to question the fact that he is seeing people from the past and still insisting that being a ghost of sorts is stupid. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe he suspects it could be true and is using logic and impracticability to dissuade himself from truly believing Vicki could be right. I wonder if he saw Nathan in Joe or just got an uneasy feeling. Burke was prince charming compared to Jeff.

Scott and Crothers and Moltke look great. Maggie figures out that Stokes has been to the cottage while she was away. I wonder where that's going? I wish Joe slept nude. Jeff's dream is an obvious sign of things to come, I'm guessing as this episode's final take.

Other than Davis, everyone did a fine job (well, Joel as Nathan sucked). Nathan packs quite a pistol. For a split second I thought it curved upward - but it was just my imagination.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 10:41:12 AM »
I hadn't remembered that at this point, almost every time we see Joe, we see Forbes too.   This episode made me angry at it.  If this had been my first DS ep I may never have watched again.   Why anyone would want to throw this much Jeff Clark at us, I don't know.   His combination of irritated barking at people and avoiding anything that makes him insecure and uncomfortable is making the bilge rise in me, whatever that means.

Forbes gets to re-enact his own Eagle scene with Barnabas... Forbes himself can't be killed because he's already dead, now.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 04:21:19 PM »
I agree, everyone looks very nice in this episode. None of the older-generation characters appear in this episode, it's just the young 'uns.

It's always fun to see the duplicitous Nathan again, even in such a contrived situtation. Peter confronts him with the "thirty pieces of silver" he got for betraying Vicki.

When Maggie and Joe return to the cottage for the first time since Sam's death, they notice that a light has been left on, even though Maggie doesn't remember turning it on. We know that Stokes turned it on to draw Adam to the cottage. And of course they find the professor's stickpin.

Jeff's dialogue is credible for the circumstances, but RD's delivery was awful, if I remember rightly.

Julia once hypnotized Vicki before the 1795 story line, and she wisely made Vicki forget that it had happened, so it seems plausible that Vicki wouldn't know of Julia's talent in that line. I'm not sure how Jeff knows about Stokes, but Vicki might have told him off camera.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 02:36:27 AM »
Maggie decides to leave Colinwood and go home to the cottage. Too bad she wasn't just a little scheming and had decided to use Pop's demise as a way to get a new home and family.  Jeff as to move out because it would not be proper to live with Maggie now that the blind, alcoholic chaperone has gone to his reward. I like the idea of Peter/Jeff being the same person, but I loathe the person onscreen.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times