Author Topic: RETURN TO COLLINWOOD  (Read 6412 times)

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
Re:RETURN TO COLLINWOOD
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2003, 07:48:57 PM »
Thanks for the recap! It sounds pretty good. I'll definitely buy it when MPI releases it.

P.S. - Poor, poor Carolyn! She must've had a bout of insanity or been on something when she married Ned.

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2003, 12:03:18 AM »
Thank you once again Robin,

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2003, 01:46:01 AM »
The actors went into the studio today to lay down the audio for a cassette/cd release of the play.

The format of the presentation on Sunday was more or less identical to the radio plays David Selby has done with LA Theatre Works.

And someone mentioned crying when Carolyn mentioned VW being her sister and Liz's daughter -- NB was working up real tears too.

Or maybe that was from being pawed constantly by RD.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2003, 02:45:39 PM »
I loved the reading!  It was just wonderful seeing most of the original cast together again and having them throw themselves into their parts with such gusto.  Quentin was his usual, cynical self and Willie funny and rambunctious.  I have never seen Nancy Barrett before in person so that was a special treat for me as well.  She and everyone else did a great job!  The background score also added a nice touch.  In my opinion, the reading alone was worth the price of admission and the cost of my hotel room, which, for one person, was not inconsiderable.  :)  I look forward to that video!

I'm glad to say that I had a lovely weekend even though I missed that first day.  My thanks to everyone who organized the event and a friendly "hello" to those whom I had the pleasure of speaking with, a number of which, unfortunately, do not even know about this forum.

[wavey]
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2003, 04:04:41 PM »
This sounds like a real hoot!  I did not realize that Jamison Selby was such a fan of DS.  It sounds as if there were a lot of little in-jokes of the sort only a diehard fan would appreciate.

Talking of dying hard, I nauseate at the thought of Ned Stuart getting his paws on Carolyn!  In the immortal words of Lucy van Pelt, BLEAH!

I've been slowly unpacking and trying to organize my new home (something of a nightmare in slo-mo), and have been watching some DS episodes from October 1966 that I taped about 2 years ago on Sci Fi and never had the chance to watch.  It's been a real treat.  I loved Liz's showdown with Burke when he came waltzing in announcing he was going to buy Collinwood.  And Mrs. Johnson's introduction at the Collinsport Inn was a scream!  I'm still guffawing over Clarice's delivery of Mrs J's line about not being able to rest "as long as evil walks the streets of this town."  I think that was a Francis Swann script--great writer.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2003, 05:45:17 PM »
NB was working up real tears too.

Or maybe that was from being pawed constantly by RD.  ;D

Being constantly pawed by RD would surely drive any woman to tears. [smrtasg]

Talking of dying hard, I nauseate at the thought of Ned Stuart getting his paws on Carolyn!  In the immortal words of Lucy van Pelt, BLEAH!

My sentiments exactly. ;)

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2003, 05:47:01 PM »
With everyone aghast at the thought of Carolyn ending up with Ned Stuart, am I alone in my horror here?  Quentin with Maggie?  [82b5]
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2003, 06:01:51 PM »
And Mrs. Johnson's introduction at the Collinsport Inn was a scream!  I'm still guffawing over Clarice's delivery of Mrs J's line about not being able to rest "as long as evil walks the streets of this town."  I think that was a Francis Swann script--great writer.

Clarice manages to steal the scene in practically all of Mrs. J's early appearances. And in light of how DS would soon go from being merely gothic to supernatural, some of her dialogue (like the line you've quoted) is more telling of what's to come than it was probably intially intended to be. But then I've always seen Mrs. J as the one character around who always seems to be able to pick up on all the craziness around her. She often remarks about how her "feelings" are telling her something is drastically wrong. Some other character generally tells her she's "imagining things" - but both she and the audience know that she never was just "imagining" it...

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2003, 07:34:34 PM »
Beth is dead.  Probably all of Quentin's love interests afterward are also gone.  I don't think it's unreasonable for Quentin to be with Maggie.  Maybe Angelique's spell never wore off.

With everyone aghast at the thought of Carolyn ending up with Ned Stuart, am I alone in my horror  here?  Quentin with Maggie?  [82b5]
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2003, 07:59:32 PM »
With everyone aghast at the thought of Carolyn ending up with Ned Stuart, am I alone in my horror  here?  Quentin with Maggie?  [82b5]
I usually have no interest in who-couples-with-whom, but I like the idea of Maggie & Quentin together. To me, Selby & KLS always had spark--even in the most trying of PT episodes.

Quentin needs a woman like Mags: she's honest, upright--and not a ghost or evil. And I think that's just what ol' QC needs...

;D
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2003, 08:17:30 PM »
Well, personally, I always thought Quentin and Julia were really hot together in their scenes, especially when she's bossing him around during the Grand Douglas period.  I just love Connie's novel in which she envisions them, very realistically, as a couple.  They both have a certain world-weariness and are beyond the notion of romantic illusions in a way that makes them suit one another (but then, in the episodes currently running on Sci Fi, Quentin displays some phenomenally ga-ga behavior around Daphne).

The other somewhat more negative reason to see Quentin and Julia together is imagining Barnabas' facial expression upon his discovery of the situation.  Knowing his usual degree of self-involvement, it would probably be when they've gone to visit him at the Old House to let him know that they're setting a date.

Oooh, just imagining the scene is sending off vibrations!

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2003, 08:27:05 PM »
See now, I always thought Quentin and Angelique were quite well paired.

MsCriseyde...did you say that the players went to lay down the tracks yesterday to a studio??

(In other words, the performance Robin mentioned was a run-through; not the product we'd be purchasing?)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2003, 10:35:50 PM »
MsCriseyde...did you say that the players went to lay down the tracks yesterday to a studio??

(In other words, the performance Robin mentioned was a run-through; not the product we'd be purchasing?)

Yes, the actors went to a recording studio to record their parts on Monday. Stuart mentioned being there in another thread.

As for the video that was shot during the performance, I have no idea what the plans are there.

Conflicting information seems to abound these days.  ;)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2003, 01:03:51 AM »
Conflicting information seems to abound these days.  ;)

These days?? Isn't conflicting info pretty much de rigueur for DS fandom? [lghy]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2003, 04:22:17 AM »

I always thought Q and M would make a good pair.  It seemed a shame that Angelique had to make it happen by a spell; I figured it could have developed naturally!
Josette