Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0518  (Read 1433 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0518
« on: August 09, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
Robservations #518

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0518

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:04:27 PM »
Stokes finally arrives at the hospital and prevents Sam from telling Vicki the dream. It has to be done, he insists to Maggie. I realize that your father is suffering, but the dream is dangerous and may prove fatal to the next person who has it. [At one point while Stokes talks, the unseen TelePrompTer falls with a crash. Sam, supposedly blind, turns to look at it through the scene and motions to someone near it as the scene ends.

Poor Adam slips into Sam's room, still remorseful and sorrowful. In the only way he knows to apologize, he pleads urgently, Friend! Friend, listen! Understandingly completely and forgiving him, Sam answers firmly, Yes, friend. Help friend, Adam offers. You can’t help, Sam replies gently. The only person who can help is Vicki. No, no! cries the distressed Adam.

While Stokes is off giving Maggie some apparently lengthy instructions, Vicki is left alone in the corridor outside Sam's room. Sam says, I must tell you the dream! A moment later Maggie comes in. The doors, Sam gasps, behind the doors--strange music--everywhere--I couldn’t get out of the room--strange riddle--made no sense. He’s telling you about the dream! Maggie tells Vicki. Sam continues, Nothing but doors. Maggie tells Vicki, If you don’t want to stay it’ll be all right. Vicki replies, If it will bring your father any comfort, I’ll stay. Sam makes another effort: One door leads to the point of return--no return--no way out. Yes, that’s the riddle! Maggie realizes. Sam tells Vicki, I didn’t want to go. Listen, he says urgently, listen very carefully. The dream began with a knock--I was frightened--when I got up I opened the door--I saw--I saw-- But before he can finish his account, Sam’s strength gives out. He falls back, dead.

Meanwhile, Stokes goes to the Evans cottage and manages to convince Adam to go home with him. But unknown to either of them, Stokes's tie pin falls off. (He should have stuck with bow ties!)

FAREWELL, DAVID FORD....

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:11:34 PM »
Fashion note via the DS Wiki: Vicki is wearing a red dress with blue trim. Maggie is wearing a blue dress with red-orange trim. What's going on here?  [ghost_grin]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:14:41 PM »
Good f'n riddance David Ford.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 07:16:55 PM »
Maggie's dress reminds me of the dress Vicki used to wear, which reminds me of a shirt my baby brother wore in a school picture which was probably around '68/'69.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 09:05:24 PM »
Actually, we haven't quite seen the last of David Ford yet.  [ghost_nowink]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 09:32:53 PM »
Right as always, MB!  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 10:27:08 PM »
Did DF want to leave DS or was he let go?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 08:55:24 PM »
This was the first episode I ever saw of DS.  I was fascinated by Thayer David.  The piece of jewellry he lost at the Evans cottage is described in the script as a diamond stick-pin.

I've heard from many sources over the years that David Ford was written out because his marriage to Nancy Barrett was on the rocks.  But I've wondered if it was simply that Ford wasn't all that good an actor and seemed to be getting worse as the months wore on.  I certainly thought he was better in the Laura Collins storyline and the original introduction of Barnabas storyline than he was in 1968. 

I've also heard that Nancy herself nearly left the series during this period, but Grayson talked her into staying.

G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 10:43:08 PM »
Interesting on all counts, Gothick!

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 11:44:36 PM »
Addison Powell, then now David Ford.   And, I'm only now getting over the DS departure of Daniel Keyes, the venerable and convivial Eagle Hill Cemetery Caretaker/Archivist. Oy vey! [ghost_sad]

(And, please, don't tell me that Keith Prentice was not afforded the opportunity to portray another character on Dark Shadows.  Mr. Prentice was always so understated as Morgan Collins on the show.) [ghost_angry] [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 12:30:21 AM »
David Ford was good, when he wanted to be, though he may not have had much range.   I wonder if the same TPTB who made Collinsport men all wear ties also made Sam cut his hair and shave his beard, making that ridiculous old-timey waxed moustache his only sign of individuality.... I guess if NB hadn't been talked into staying, Adam would have killed her.   Maybe that's where that was supposed to go.

I missed all the mishaps onscreen.  I'm disappointed with self.   My only written note (in one of my quickly-filled spiral notebooks of thick, 3 inch high lettering because of eye thing) besides Goodbye Sam was "TES wears a hat"  and "What a waste.  (Sam's end)   Mag's grief 'real'."
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 08:18:24 AM »
KLS should not do OVOs. Knowing this was Gothick's first episode made it a delight to watch. I pretended to watch as though for the first time ever and it was fascinating to think of what might be going through my head at that young age. The mention of a witch & the weirdness of the Adam character would have been enough to draw me in.

First, Vicki's dress is atrocious, the flair of it is nauseating. Second, there's something about a hospital setting that makes for good 'soap opera'. There are a lot of closeups and both women look beautiful in them. The fast pan of the camera to Stokes' entrance was very dramatic. I don't recall the use of this technique before. (Very 'Patty Duke Show'.) Vicki was indignant regarding Stokes interceding and I loved the tears on her face in the hallway scene. Thayer is particularly good here as he is throughout. I can't get over how soap opery this ep is, the camera pans, closeups, etc. Love Vicki's torment as Sam calls out to her - nice job by Moltke. I guess Stokes curiosity is getting the better of him because I really can't think of any uncontrived reason for him to pursue Adam in the middle of all this high drama. Rodan continues his winning streak with his portrayal of Adam. Ford was the weakest but he did okay. His 'blooper' might make one think that the director didn't yell cut after every take. Two of my favorite music cues from the first weeks of the series were used - I loved it. Good episode, I enjoyed it very much. KLS may have underperformed just a tad, but still rolled over Ford in comparison.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 05:11:25 PM »
Pr. Stokes foils Pop from telling the dream.  Sam motions and moves in the sequence. I didn't hear the teleprompter crash but that explains it. I was wondering if David Ford had decided to frail about in his coma in some last ditch effort at acting. Pop meanwhile thankfully dies offscreen probably from TelePrompTer withdrawal and suddenly Pr. Stokes becomes Adams new friend. Should he worry?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 06:11:53 PM »
I think we're the ones who should worry.