Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #292 -- Cruise Update, more  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #292 -- Cruise Update, more
« on: August 09, 2013, 06:00:23 AM »
SHADOWGRAM OFFICIAL ONLINE DARK SHADOWS NEWS UPDATE # 292

August 8, 2013

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS) announces the following breaking news in this Official Online News Update "bulletin."

**** JOHN KARLEN IN MEDICAL REHABILITATION – GET-WELL CARDS & LETTERS ARE ENCOURAGED
**** DARK SHADOWS HALLOWEEN CRUISE WITH THE STARS UPDATE
**** CHRIS PENNOCK: 2 FILM ROLES & A REAL-LIFE SITUATION
**** MARSHA MASON STARS IN CLASSIC PLAY
**** KAREN BLACK SUCCUMBS TO CANCER

***** JOHN KARLEN RECOVERING IN REHAB CENTER
John (Willie, Carl, William H. Loomis, Desmond, Kendrick, NODS' Alex) has been convalescing in a Los Angeles rehabilitation facility for the past several weeks, dealing with various health and mobility issues related to diabetes.

A number of DS cast members have paid visits to John.
Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie) reports he was upbeat and looks good. Jim Storm (Gerard) had a nice long visit and felt his humor and will are intact. Lara Parker (Angelique) told me, "He's 80 years old and appreciated" that she came. "He was glad to see me and was very sweet. He was in good spirits."
David Selby (Quentin) and Jim Pierson (DS Festival director/Dan Curtis Productions rep) spent time with John late last week and said that his attitude was good and positive. John told them he's "missed seeing the fans the past couple of years" at the DS Festival events. John's been a regular Festival guest, most recently in Burbank, CA, in 2010. He says he hopes "to be well enough to attend" the Festival next summer at Lyndhurst Estate in Tarrytown, NY (where he and other DS TV cast members filmed the 1971 movie, "Night of Dark Shadows"). (SG will announce event details as we finalize plans.)

He's thinner and walks cautiously, but indications are he is improved, and it is hoped he'll soon be released from the rehabilitation center.

John is a beloved and longtime participant at DS events; in fact, he was the first DS person to attend a fan convention. He was our only guest at the first ShadowCon, held as a part of the larger StarCon convention in San Diego in 1977. ShadowCon was created and organized by Jean (Peacock) Graham, Kathy Resch, and Marcy Robin.

John says he greatly appreciates hearing from fans while he's in rehab.

You are invited and encouraged to send John get-well cards and letters. He has no computer or internet access, so postal-mail messages are most welcome.
You can write to John at:

John Karlen
Studio City Rehabilitation Center, Room 10
11429 Ventura Blvd.
Studio City, CA 91604

SG thanks you for sharing your good wishes and healing thoughts with him!

**** DS HALLOWEEN CRUISE WITH THE STARS – SPACES STILL AVAILABLE
From Oct. 27-Nov. 3, Lara Parker, Kathryn Leigh Scott, and Marie Wallace will sail with DS fans for the first-ever DARK SHADOWS cruise. The voyage leaves from the New York City area and travels to Bermuda for a lovely island visit. Along the way, Lara, Kathryn, and Marie will host DS-related activities on the ship, including discussions, dramatic readings, Q&A sessions, autographs, video and film screenings, cocktails, book and photo sales and signings, plus a tribute to Jonathan Frid and a Halloween party - in addition to including meals and other fun activities on board. Halloween itself will be spent at Kings Wharf, Bermuda.
There still is time for fans to attend this historical DS event, but reservations must be confirmed: BY AUGUST 11.
To make a reservation and for full details, call now: 1-800-828-4813.
Or go to: http://www.hartfordholidays.com/DarkShadowsHalloweenCruise/Home.html

**** CHRIS PENNOCK: BUSY FILMING – AND EVACUATING
Chris (Jeb Hawkes) filmed "Dr. Mabuse 2 - Etiopomar" in June and July, joining 3 DS colleagues in the independent psychological thriller. Jerry Lacy (Trask), Lara Parker, and Kathryn Leigh Scott reprised their roles from DM1. Jerry again plays the sinister title character. Writer/director Ansel Faraj plans a Summer 2014 release. Chris says DM2 has "a new ending climax that will blow your mind!"
The first "Doctor Mabuse" film world-premiered at the DS Festival's "DS Island Weekend" in Coronado, CA, in April. Plans call for its DVD release this fall.
http://www.doctormabuse-themovie.com/doctor-mabuse-2013.html
Chris then shot the independent film "The Forest Fire" in Los Angeles. Publicity: It is "an ensemble piece of individual tragedies intertwined into a personal and beautiful apocalypse." http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-forest-fire
Chris lives in Idyllwild, in the mountains of the San Bernadino National Forest, southeast of Los Angeles, about 50 miles from Palm Springs. In mid-July, a real fire threatened: A serious, lightning-strike wildfire ravaged the vicinity, ripping through dry, rugged terrain. For over a week it spread rapidly, destroying some structures and forcing evacuations. Chris, his wife Lynn, their dog Boris, and some of their cats were evacuated for 5 days but thankfully returned home safely on July 21. The ashy, burned landscape not far from their home will heal in Nature's way.

**** MARSHA MASON STARS IN COMEDY PLAY IN PENNSYLVANIA
Marsha (Vampire Audrey) stars in the comedy "The Allergist's Wife," being staged at the Bucks County Playhouse, 8-15/9-1. Publicity: "A middle-aged Upper West Side ((Manhattan)) doctor's wife (has) plunged into a midlife crisis on an epic scale, (but then her) life suddenly gets a lift when a former childhood friend reappears" in "a show filled with passion and humor."
The Bucks County Playhouse is located at 70 S. Main St., New Hope, PA . Phone: 215-862-2121. The box office is open 7 days a week 12pm-5pm.

**** KAREN BLACK – ACTRESS IN DAN CURTIS PRODUCTIONS – PASSES AWAY
Though Karen was never on DS, she has close ties to Dan Curtis (DS Creator/Director/Producer): his 1975 classic, iconic TV anthology "Trilogy of Terror" and his 1976 theatrical movie "Burnt Offerings." She spoke about working with him at the DS 40th Anniversary Halloween Party at the Vista Theater in Los Angeles (Los Feliz) 10-26-06, where she and other attending DS personnel (plus Barbara Steele) placed their handprints in cement in the theater forecourt.
She died today, Aug, 8, after battling spreading cancer in her spine. She was hospitalized in June and underwent traditional medical treatments. She then was moved to a nursing facility and alternate, holistic methods were used, improving her attitude and sensitivities and extending her life several weeks.

Marcy Robin

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Update on DS Cruise
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 05:13:39 AM »
A cousin on the cruise reported that the Fest was such a success that there will be another next Halloween-- a 7-day cruise to the Caribbean leaving Florida.  And so many on the ship expressed interest in the DS events that the actresses were asked by Royal Caribbean to present a program including Q&A and the bloopers DVD in a 1500-seat theater available to the entire ship.  They also provided some musical entertainment to the Fest guests that wasn't part of the original program.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #292 -- Cruise Update, more
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »
That is absolutely wonderful news, thanks for reporting that, Midnite!

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:27:20 AM »
Great news! I hope it brings back a 3 day fest for summer soon. 
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 02:18:06 AM »
I'm so glad that the "official" DS convention doing a cruise this year has been such a success and will be repeated next year (hopefully, even grander and greater).  A significant number of fans poo-pooed the whole thought of a week-long cruise because it wasn't the year-in-year-out typical newyorklosangelesnewyorklosangelesnewyorklosangeles thing.  If I had the finances and the time, I would quickly do a DS cruise.  I would never waste money on a weekend thing, whether it's newyorklosangeles or losangelesnewyork.

I won't be feisty about this, but for the Lyndhurst get-together, the hotel wants - at a "discounted" rate - $150 a night (rounded off).  A hundred-and-fifty-dollars a night for what?  A room to sleep, shower and go potty in.  That's a "bargain?"  What about food, convention entrance cost, et. al.?  The cruise, at its cheapest, was just like $750 for the whole thing - bed, shower, potty, food, transportation (not including air-fare), a beautiful destination, convention entrance, entertainment, et. al.  Plus, from what the cousin who's on the cruise reported, hundreds if not thousands of those on the ship have been introduced or re-introduced to DS expanding the market and franchise.  It keeps our beloved series alive.  Now that's what I call marketing.  The previous same-old newyorklosangelesnewyorklosangeles (and Lyndhurst is newyork) will continue to draw the same dedicated fans who experience the same-old year-in-year-out.  There's no expansion.

A friend of mine works for the travel industry.  At his job, he saw the announcement for this past cruise.  I never told him about it.  He was floored.  He booked several midwest people for it when he informed them of it.  There you go.  As for spending a weekend at great cost in some isolated losangeles hotel with a "cafe" to provide over-priced skanky food, no thank you.  Even if I could afford that, no thank you.  But now I'm going back on my promise not to be feisty.

As for the first ever DS cruise - cheers!  May there be many, many more. 

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 03:34:10 PM »

(Click image to zoom)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 04:41:19 PM »
I love the 3 Widows.  KLS looks great in her diner waitress outfit.  I wonder if that is LP next to her in the Mardi Gras swag. 

I was curious about the clump of maybe four fans sporting fedoras and blue sunglasses, then figured it out:  they're cosplaying BarnaDepp.  So much for the theory that the Burton/Depp production has irretrievably divided fandom.

G.

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 06:58:07 PM »
Hi Gothick,

Cath and I were on the cruise, but did not go to the photo shoot, but someone who did told us that Lara did not attend the DS Halloween photo shoot or party. She did attend the larger party held by the ship. I saw a clip of her at that party. She had long blue hair and a witch hat.

This was a wonderful cruise/Fest and I am glad they are doing it again next year. With only 100+ attendees things were much more relaxed and the three actresses were very accessible and easy-going. As someone who has been to most every Fest since 2000 I have to say that this one was definitely a stand out.

[hall2_smiley]

Many thanks to Jim Pierson, Marie, KLS, and Lara for a great week.
Life works if you let it

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »
Thanks so much for posting the photo, Midnite.  [hall2_smiley]  And thanks for more details, Bette.  [hall2_wink]

I was curious about the clump of maybe four fans sporting fedoras and blue sunglasses, then figured it out:  they're cosplaying BarnaDepp.

Yes, that is very interesting.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 02:08:29 AM »
Hi Bette, thanks for the clarification.  I was going to say that that looked like Marie Wallace in the photo, and I hadn't recalled her being announced as a guest.  What a treat for everyone.  Marie is such a darling.  I'm glad she evidently has recovered sufficiently to be able to enjoy a sea voyage!

It's great to hear that those who went had such a good time, and lovely that those who wish to do so will be able to attend next year.

cheers, G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 02:09:16 AM »
love the group shot...

I think I spot a roll neck caftan on the upper left. [hall2_kiss] nice that KLS reprised her "collinsport waitress" personae complete with short blond wig. although it never appeared in the color episodes if I could have guessed the uniform was that great 60s pale blue. but the yellow looks great!

glad everyone had fun. [hall2_smiley]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 02:11:22 AM »
perhaps to clarify the "regular" hotel bound fest is still happening next year as well, is that correct? in tarrytown?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 05:29:09 AM »
It must be the makeup that someone used, but there's one who REALLY looks like Grayson.
Josette

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 06:45:11 AM »
I love the guy with the afghan. 

Michael,I am pretty sure both the Tarrytown event and the Cruise are happening. 

G.