Author Topic: Karen Black  (Read 824 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Karen Black
« on: August 09, 2013, 02:48:33 AM »
Karen Black, a wonderful actress, has passed away from cancer at the age of 74.  A very popular actress in the early-to-mid seventies, she partially reinvented herself as a "scream queen" in certain horror movies and worked with Dan Curtis.  She appeared in his classic made-for-TV film Trilogy of Terror and in his big screen Burnt Offerings (along with another "reinvented scream queen," Bette Davis), among other horror flicks.

RIP, Ms. Black.  We'll never forget when Dan Curtis had you terrorized in your apartment by that murderous Zuni fetish doll that gave us all nightmares.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Karen Black
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 03:10:40 AM »
I heard this sad news a few hours ago on the international Social Networking Site.  I was shocked as I considered Ms. Black "too young to die."  She was about a year and a half younger than my own mother (and Lara Parker) as it happens.

I was thinking about Ms. Black a few weeks ago when a fan started a thread here about what role Ms. Black would have played had she been cast in the original series of Dark Shadows.  I had to smile because I recalled that many years ago now, when a gala was held at the Museum of Television and Radio in Dan Curtis's honor, many DS luminaries showed up, and Ms. Black made a late entrance to the room.  At the time it was reported that she was overheard to look around her, narrow her eyes, and demand of a flunky:  "Wait a minute, this isn't a Dark Shadows thing, is it?"  She was assured that it was indeed an evening in honor of DC and she proceded to her place onstage.

I also think of a performance art band, maybe based in NYC, about 23 years ago called "The Voluptuous Horror of Karen Black"--it was written up in Michael Musto's column and I believe Ms. Black may have eventually attended, or even participated in, a performance.

May she know true peace.  We'll miss her.

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 12:40:19 AM »
If one hasn't seen Karen Black in Dan Curtis' original Trilogy of Terror, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs-KEsse0Jk

Twenty years later, Dan Curtis did a sequal starring Lysette Anthony (Angelique - DS91) including a follow-up to the Zuni fetish doll that features a special surprise for DS fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32nuCB9nPdA

Gerard

David

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 01:08:14 PM »
KL Scott, who played her sister in The Great Gatsby, posted a lovely tribute to her on Facebook.
Black really was a wonderful actress.
Check out her creepy 1977 TV film The Strange Posession of Mrs. Oliver, now in it's entirety on You Tube.

I've always thought that Burnt Offerings was a creepy, under rated film--Black always spoke highly of Dan Curtis.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 01:18:04 AM »
I;m so  sorry to hear the sad  news .  What a wonderful actress  she  will be missed.
                     Love  Anne  [ghost_sad]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow