Author Topic: BOZO JONATHAN FRID!  (Read 3824 times)

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
BOZO JONATHAN FRID!
« on: August 27, 2003, 09:45:16 AM »
no, im not calling jonathan frid a bozo! but now that i got ur attention...tv guide announced that episodes of BOZO from the 60s will be released on dvd next week. as many of us know, jonathan frid appeared on this show dressed as barnabas. i wonder if this episode will be included and if they will have descriptions/details on the pkg. so we will be able to tell before purchasing.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:BOZO JONATHAN FRID!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 01:29:52 PM »
JONATHAN FRID APPEARED ON BOZO?????

Get outa here!!!

Really??

Please oh please...does someone have a screen cap??

Joey...how are you? How long did you go w/out electricity?

Patti

J. F. on Bozo...oyevah....
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 02:10:06 PM »
There are a couple of publicity photos from this appearance taken in the Barnabas Collins Personal Photo Album book published ca. 1969.

Perhaps a kindly Benefactor will be so generous as to arrange for one to be displayed here?

My favorite Barnabas appearance of the era was when he appeared as a question on the now-forgotten series, the Generation Gap.  Mama Cowsill correctly identified him as Barnabas Collins from Dark Shadows.  His appearance was marvelous... spooky set with a lifetime supply of dry ice, and Barnabas prowling around... does anybody else remember this?

G.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 05:24:29 PM »
i live in los angeles and the black out was in nyc/nj. i think ur confusing me with joey trombello? yes there r photos of FRID/BOZO in one or more of the ds publications but i dont know how/or cant post a photo here with webtv. yes i remember THE GENERATION GAP! they showed a portion of this at a festeval a few years ago. but what was described here was not shown cause i think frid appeared as barnabas with the dry ice/graveyard effect at the end of the previous week. i think ds/barnabas was the subject of a question for the panels and they brought frid out after the question was answered and the host told the audience that frid would be on the panel next week. i loved it too and never forgot it! wish they would show it again somewhere.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 05:35:47 PM »
yes there r photos of FRID/BOZO in one or more of the ds publications

The most common publication probably being the 30th Anniversary Almanac.  It's on p. 124.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 06:17:46 PM »
Perhaps a kindly Benefactor will be so generous as to arrange for one to be displayed here?

The most common publication probably being the 30th Anniversary Almanac.  It's on p. 124.

I'll see what I can find that's different from that one. ;)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 07:24:49 PM »
Here are three:

And here's the same photo that's published in the 30th Anniversary Almanac, showing more, and with the 16 Spec Ticklers touch (I couldn't resist including this ;)):

(And fans make fun of Petofi's curly gray wig - can you just imagine Bozo hair on DS?!! [lghy])

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 07:48:59 PM »
Darling MB, these are marvelous!  I don't recall having seen the one with cub scouts and kiddies before.  Those kids must have thought they had died and gone to Heaven!

Joe, I was in NYC a few years ago when a Generation Gap episode was aired.  David Henesy and his Mom were both contestants.  I was disappointed that the Barnabas episode was not chosen, but as usual, time at the Festivals is limited, and seeing David Henesy in a non DS context is a much more unusual experience than seeing something involving a Jonathan Frid publicity appearance.

G.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 05:44:57 PM »
thanks for posting the pics. i noticed that frids appearance was from a bozo show in michigan. i thought bozo originated from chicago with larry harmon playing the part? perhaps local stations around the country had their own versions with their own hosts. i think they did that with ROMPER ROOM. the episodes of BOZO being released are the ones with larry harmon so unless someone can identify that larry harmon is playing bozo in the photos posted, we may not see this on dvd after all!

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 09:41:54 PM »
How wonderful, MB!  Bozo the Clown knocking on Collinwood's door, now wouldn't that be a surreal touch?   [goofy]
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 10:44:02 PM »
Barnabas meets Bozo?!?!  Now that I've seen this thread, I know what's been wrong all day.  I never woke up, and this is all some crazy dream!!! [lol2] [nut]
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2003, 01:08:00 AM »
Barnabas meets Bozo?!?!  Now that I've seen this thread, I know what's been wrong all day.  I never woke up, and this is all some crazy dream!!! [lol2] [nut]

Maybe it is the unseen, cutting room floor version of the Dream sequence that even Julia's medallion couldn't erase.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2003, 09:35:52 AM »
well there was that 1 leviathan episode where the credits roled over some animatronic clown or something like a clown.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2003, 04:52:07 PM »
Joe, I put Bozo the Clown in ask jeeves, and without really reading stuff, there were lots of mention of michigan, etc.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2003, 05:17:48 PM »
well there was that 1 leviathan episode where the credits roled over  some animatronic clown or something like a clown.

Oh yes, from Liz's fun house dream!  Bozo could've taken David Henesy's place in it, telling her the story of fat and skinny having a race around the steeplechase (or something like that).  Then he could've had the distinction of being the only one on the entire series that made Liz laugh.

I can think of one other actor's shoes (heh) that Bozo the clown could've stepped into successfully-- Roger Davis'.  Particularly as lawyer Peter Bradford.  ;D