Author Topic: Barnabas is head over heels again....he thinks  (Read 2525 times)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Barnabas is head over heels again....he thinks
« on: August 26, 2003, 10:46:27 PM »
Well today 'she' made her appearance.  Roxanne.   [5363]

She will say that she Sebastian Shaw's sister...but we know better then that.  Well, thats what I think.

Barnabas, oh Barnabas, when are you going to learn?  She's nothing.

Remember...you are married to Angelique....and she'll get very mad at you....and 'Roxanne'. [witch]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Barnabas is head over heels again....he thinks
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 11:10:39 PM »
Why isn't this woman Willie Loomis' betrothed?  Why did they use the name, but not the character they originally intended Roxanne to be?

Didn't they EVER expect John Karlen to return from Europe?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 11:57:35 PM »
I know we are watching it back to back everyday. . .but Barnabas's easy-to-fall heart is sooo hollow .. .It really made me ill today. . .
Julia99

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 03:20:15 AM »
I know we are watching it back to back everyday. . .but Barnabas's easy-to-fall heart is sooo hollow .. .It really made me ill today. . .

kinda like the Jlo of his time[lol2]

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 04:52:49 AM »
I hope Barnabas will not expect this Roxanne to be the same as PT Roxanne,  I'm sure Julia will be so pleased to see another Roxanne  ::)

Sarah's [ghost]
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 06:06:24 PM »
Barnabas, oh Barnabas, when are you going to learn?  She's nothing.
Barnabas, Barnabas.  [rleyeg]

Remember...you are married to Angelique....and she'll get very mad at you....and 'Roxanne'.
Oh I see.......[smirk]........this is really about Angelique's feelings..........[smrtasy]..........and no one else's..........[wiseguy].............uh-huh, got it.  [thumb]

[vryevl]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 08:00:02 PM »
I love how Frid plays Barnabas' reaction to Roxanne in this episode.  It's so genuine.  If I had been JF, my temptation would have been to just walk through this stuff.  Instead, he gave it his all.  A real trooper.

G.

Offline keasus

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 08:05:02 PM »
The Barn/Roxanne relationship is one of my DS pet peeves, so indulge me this rant  >:D.

Of all the lame-brained, bone-headed pairings the DS writers ever created, this was the worst.  (OK, I know some of you Q-man/Olivia bashers might argue this point with me.)  Frid played a really believable tragic romantic figure when paired with the right character, actress, and story line.  This is what made his passion for Josette and Victoria so compelling and often heart-breaking when it didn't work out.  Roxanne in all her incarnations is grating and ill-conceived (I won't mention the acting or bad hair  ::)). It is incomprehensible that anyone, even the zombie sherrif, could be so infatuated with her.

KEASUS (who, believe it or not, is actually sugar-coating it  >:(

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 09:20:37 PM »
     A big part of the problem with this Roxanne/Barnabas pairing is the age difference.  Mr. Frid looked ridiculous paired with such a young actress.  If Roxanne doesn't work out there is always Hallie.  I think Luciaphil said once in her column that Frid was too old to play the impetuous young man.  Barnabas just comes off as looking foolish. ::)
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 09:44:11 PM »
Agreed.  Barnabas and Roxanne do have a May/September thing going on.  And it doesn't work.  Not necessarily because of the age thing, but because the two have no "chemistry."

What about his pairing with Josette, Angelique or Vicki?  Were KLS, Parker or Moltke that much older than Donna Wandrey?
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 08:59:03 AM »
Agreed.  Barnabas and Roxanne do have a May/September thing going on.  And it doesn't work.  Not necessarily because of the age thing, but because the two have no "chemistry."

That's exactly what I think it is too,  no chemistry at all!   I don't think Roxanne was much younger than the others women Barnabas chased after or had a fling with (Angelique) but  at least there was chemistry there.  IMO you could almost feel the heat when Barnabas & Angelique were kissing during 1795.  With Roxanne, there's nothing.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2003, 03:36:09 PM »
That's exactly what I think it is too,  no chemistry at all!   I don't think Roxanne was much younger than the others women Barnabas chased after or had a fling with (Angelique) but  at least there was chemistry there.  IMO you could almost feel the heat when Barnabas & Angelique were kissing during 1795.  With Roxanne, there's nothing.
i agree it is the chemistry NADA! Rhett was older than Scarlett and look at them!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2003, 04:40:08 PM »
The May/September thing is one thing but I truly can't buy that he looks at her and loves her.  At least with the other woman their was sex appeal/chemistry with Angelique.  The story lead us into his love for Josette.  Even Barnabas and Vicki had a lead in she was quiet a bit old fashion you could understand how he came to have feeling for her.  Roxanne, no history, just looks at her and it is love.  Roxanne is from the looks of her very mod, he knows nothing of her personality.  He should know that counter parts from P.T. can be very different.  Sloppy writing and planning.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2003, 02:43:57 AM »
Roxanne, no history, just looks at her and it is love.  Roxanne is from the looks of her very mod, he knows nothing of her personality.  He should know that counter parts from P.T. can be very different.  Sloppy writing and planning.
   Can you see straight-laced Barnabas hearing about all the good times Roxanne had with Claude and the knife?  You're so right, Birdie.  The writers set up a history with each women(Angelique and Josette) or let a relationship develop(Vicki) but with Roxanne, Barnabas takes one look at her sleeping face and her bullet-bra and he is besotted with love.  Blech :P
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2003, 12:38:48 PM »
     A big part of the problem with this Roxanne/Barnabas pairing is the age difference.  Mr. Frid looked ridiculous paired with such a young actress.  If Roxanne doesn't work out there is always Hallie.  I think Luciaphil said once in her column that Frid was too old to play the impetuous young man.  Barnabas just comes off as looking foolish. ::)

It's not just the age difference, although that is pretty bad. I think Roxanne's ... personality and past experiences are more definite than the other objects of his affections. He's very obviously chasing after someone without knowing or caring about her and that is what makes him ridiculous.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga