Author Topic: #1080/1081: Robservations 08/26/03: Return of Roxanne!  (Read 1259 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1080/1081: Robservations 08/26/03: Return of Roxanne!
« on: August 25, 2003, 09:08:41 PM »
1080 -
Upset, Hallie says, David, the voice we just heard was yours, but your lips weren't moving--how can that be possible? He gazes at her, unspeaking.  Why are you staring at me like that? she asks--David, speak to me! she implores, please! She releases his hands and he passes out. What happened? she wails--can you hear me?

Liz, seated at the desk in the drawing room, pours over her astral charts. Carolyn enters and points out, you're being very religious about reading the horoscope every day. I still don't know who's right about the future, Barnabas or Sebastian. I thought you were convinced Sebastian was, says Carolyn. He's been amazingly accurate up until now, says Liz. What does he say about today? asks Carolyn. That it will pass without incident, says Liz.  That's accurate, says Carolyn--it's been a thoroughly boring day. But he says to be aware of tensions and crises during the night, adds Liz. What do you suppose that means? asks Carolyn. I have no idea, says Liz, I haven't felt any tensions, it's been a quiet evening--if there is a crisis somewhere, I don't know anything about it. Obviously, Sebastian has made a mistake, opines Carolyn. He said that might happen, says Liz defensively, and not to be upset if everything didn't go exactly as the horoscope predicted. Maybe I should call him and have my horoscope done, suggests Carolyn. No, says Liz, standing, I don't think you should do that. Why not? asks Carolyn. You know perfectly well why not, says Liz. If you can have your horoscope done... begins Carolyn.  You've never been interested in horoscopes and astrology and aren't now, says Liz.  Neither have you been until now, points out Carolyn. I went to see Sebastian because I was terribly concerned about what Barnabas said, says Liz--I sincerely wanted my horoscope done--your reasons for wanting to see Sebastian are quite different, adds Liz haughtily, and have nothing to do with your horoscope. Carolyn looks away and claims, it isn't true.  His name is Sebastian Shaw and always has been, insists Liz.
How do you know that? asks Carolyn. I see no reason to believe anything else, says Liz--In the first place, you heard him tell you he wasn't Jeb, in the second place, if he was Jeb, why wouldn't he admit it to you? He may not know it himself, suggests Carolyn. What on earth does that mean? asks Liz, annoyed. Shortly after Jeb died, says Carolyn, I had a dream--in it, I saw Jeb and he told me he would come back to me one day--he said I might not be able to understand, and when it did, I would know it. That was just a dream, insists Liz. And Sebastian's appearance in Collinsport is just a wild coincidence, says Carolyn, irritated, I just don't believe it. You have no choice but to believe it, says Liz, because that's all it is, a wild coincidence, and obviously, an unfortunate one--I must insist you stay away from Sebastian. Are you forbidding me to see him? demands Carolyn. No, I'm thinking what's best for you, says Liz, let's leave it at that. Carolyn's lip curls with determination; she plucks the business card from the desk blotter, goes to the phone, and dials. She asks to speak to Sebastian Shaw. Please.

Playroom - Hallie tries to awaken David. When he finally comes to, he asks what happened. Don you remember the seance? she asks. Yes, we heard that voice, he recalls. It was your voice, Hallie informs him. How could it be? he asks, I wasn't speaking. But we both heard it, she says, there was something so frightening about it! I know, says David. We're going downstairs right now and tell your aunt about this room and everything that's happened it in, insists Hallie.

You can't be serious, argues David.  I am, she says.  Don't you realize how much trouble we'll get into? he asks. I don't care, she says--this thing has gone too far. We can't bring it to an end, says David. Don't you understand, she asks, whatever is happening here is dangerous!--we don't know what might happen to us if we don't tell someone--we've got to get it under control. In his mind, David again hears his own voice begging, "Let us live!" He turns to Hallie and says no, we can't say anything to anybody--and runs from the room. DAVID! she cries, exasperated.

Next morning - David is in his room, holding the Java Queen in his hands. Hallie knocks and enters--Mrs. Johnson said you wanted to see me. Yes, says David, I've been trying to figure out what happened last night. I think that's impossible because I think it's beyond our understanding, she says. Everything that's happened has a meaning, insists David--that woman from the room, this ship, the way it appeared in my room, and the clothes we've both gotten--and then the seance, and that voice, my voice, coming from no where--do you remember what it said? Yes, she replies, "Let us live."' David repeats that, wondering, what does it mean?  I don't know, she says, but I wish I did. I've been considering what you said, says David--I agree we must go to Aunt Liz and tell her everything that's happened. Hallie, thrilled, wants to go downstairs now--she's in the drawing room. David sets down the model ship and looks at it. He follows Hallie when she calls, but seems preoccupied.

Carolyn joins her mother in the drawing room--what's in store for us today, Mother? Liz, glancing through the charts, says that, according to Sebastian, it's going to be uneventful. No crises or tensions? asks Carolyn flippantly. No, says Liz. Good, says Carolyn, then it should be a safe day for me to go shopping in town. I don't see why not, says Liz. If anyone calls, says Carolyn, I should be back by late afternoon. Liz nods and says, "All right, darling." Carolyn grabs her purse and exits. Liz puts the folder down on the desk. Hallie and David nervously enter the drawing room. David calls to his aunt.  I didn't even hear you two come in, she says. Can we speak to you? asks David.  Is anything wrong? she asks. Something terrible has happened you should know about, blurts out Hallie.  She touches David's arm--you'd better tell her, suggests Hallie. He steps forward--it happened in the West Wing, he begins--we went exploring there, and... David is instantly silenced.  He and Hallie are stunned to see the Java Queen sitting on a table right in front of them!

Speak up, David, urges Liz--you were going to tell me something.  The two kids can't stop staring at the wooden ship. David looks at his aunt, who says, you mentioned something about the West Wing--you know you aren't supposed to go there! I know, says David, but we had an  accident there--I was chasing Hallie to her room, and knocked over a table that had a vase that might have been a family heirloom, and I thought I should tell you about it. Liz looks at him sharply--are you sure that's all you wanted to tell me? Isn't that enough? he asks. I suppose so, says Liz, and I appreciate your honesty, but nothing like this must ever happen again--neither of them are to go to the West Wing--this closes the incident. The kids indicate they understand; Hallie thanks her. Liz leaves the room. I couldn't tell, says David, I was too scared. So was I, confesses Hallie, as soon as I saw that (she indicates the ship). How did it get down here? wonders David, it was up in my room, both of us saw it!  Someone must have brought it here, she says. But who? asks David--you, me and Aunt Liz were the only ones here.  I don't know, she says, but it was someone that none of them could see.  I'm going to take it out of here, put it in the playroom, and leave it there, says David determinedly.  He takes the ship away.  Hallie nervously watches him go.

Sebastian Shaw's abode - Shaw asks Carolyn, why do you want your horoscope done?  Must one have a specific reason? she asks him. People are usually motivated by more than just a whim, he says. This isn't just a whim, she assures him--like everyone else at Collinwood, I'm interested in the future. I wonder if you really know the exact nature of my work, he says. What do you mean? she asks. I'm not a prophet, he says, just a simple astrologer, and I can't shape the future as you would want it to be. I'm not asking you to do that, she says. I'm totally guided by the stars and planets, he says, and whatever they have in store for you, good or bad, cannot be changed. I'm willing to accept that, she says--tell me, where are you from? New York City, he says, why? Just curious, she says--how long have you been in Collinsport?  Just about two months, he replies. Sounds as if you're planning to stay, she comments. Perhaps, he says. I'm curious as to why you chose this particular town, she says. No special reason, he says, it borders the sea--I've always loved the sea. She looks stricken.  "So have I," she says.  Yes, well, he says, uncomfortable--if we're going to get down to work, I must ask you a few questions--please sit down. She watches him.

David brings the ship back into the playroom and hears his own voice say, "You didn't tell--you want me to live! You DO want me to live!"  Startled, he looks around, then flees the room in fright. The carousel turns on by itself, the music playing.

Smiling, Carolyn thanks Shaw for giving me so much of your time.
In my kind of work, he says, one must not hurry. When will my horoscope be ready? she asks. Difficult to tell, he says, I never knows if charting the stars will be easy or difficult, or how long it will take. She laughs delightedly--I can't think it would be difficult with me, she says--I've always thought of myself as a simple person. Astrology is quite different, says Shaw--you might not know how complex a person you really are. If you could give me some idea, she says, I could make plans to pick it up. It's not necessary, he assures her--I'll bring it to you at Collinwood. I would prefer to come to you, she says, if you don't mind. I see, he says, looking at her--I wonder if you would mind a question--is your mother aware of your coming here today? It was mentioned in passing, says Carolyn. My guess is she didn't approve of it--am I correct? he asks, moving in close. What difference does that make whether she did or not? asks Carolyn. It makes a difference to me, says Shaw--I would prefer not to be in the middle of any family quarrels.  I am well over the age of consent, says Carolyn, and my mother and I have disagreed before, but are still quite close--we will survive this disagreement --and so will you. I see, says Shaw, opening the door for her, I'll be happy to call you tomorrow, if possible. I will look forward to hearing from you, says Carolyn before exiting. He closes the door. What has he gotten himself into here?

Hallie joins Liz in the drawing room--have you seen David? asks the girl.  I thought he was in his room, says Liz. No, I looked there, I couldn't find him anywhere, says Hallie. I hope he isn't exploring the West Wing again, says Liz. Oh, no, he wouldn't do that, says Hallie, he felt terrible about what happened there. Maybe I'd better go look for him, says Liz. Oh, no, I'll look for him, says Hallie, I'm sure I'll find him soon. She leaves. Liz begins looking at her horoscope again. Carolyn returns.  Liz puts the folder back on the table, meets her daughter in the foyer, and asks, how was your day?  Uneventful, says Carolyn. There are no packages, observes Liz--I thought you were going shopping. I did, says Carolyn evasively, but I guess I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for it--I didn't see a thing I liked all day long--I think I'll lie down before dinner--excuse me, Mother. She goes upstairs.

Playroom hallway - Hallie goes to the playroom and angrily asks David, who is wearing the old suit he found on his bed and rocking away on the rocking horse, what's the matter with you?--you know you aren't supposed to be here, you gave your Aunt Elizabeth your word!--and what are you doing in those clothes? He doesn't answer.  It's no time to play games, she insists--let's get out of here! He ignores her.  Furious, she asks, "David, are you coming or aren't you?" He keeps rocking.  All right, she says, but don't say I didn't try--if you're going to stay here, you'll just pay the consequences--David, are you coming?--ALL RIGHT THEN!
She exits the playroom and, to her amazement, finds David out in the hallway!

NOTES: Reminds us of when we used to see people in the PT room and then in RT, or vice versa. That rocking horse boy, who looked ridiculous, must be Tad, and his desire to "Let us live" must have something to do with Hallie and David. Sounds like more possession on the horizon, doesn't it?

These poor kids tried to do the right thing, but either Daphne and/or Gerard must be moving the ship around to scare them and prevent them from telling any adult what is happening.

Hallie is so shrill! She is getting on my nerves, and not for the first time.

Carolyn thinks/hope Sebastian Shaw is Jeb and doesn't know it. Poor girl, you can't blame her when the guy looks so much like her dead hubby. He seems to find her strange, and perhaps worries that she might mess up what he hopes to get going with Liz and her money. Then again, Carolyn has bucks of her own. Will he be trying to separate all the Collins ladies from their money while giving them false horoscopes?

1081 - That scene with David or whoever, rocking away, is truly creepy. Whether Tad or David, he's far too old for such childish activities.

Playroom hallway - What's the matter? David asks a stunned Hallie--what happened in that room? You! she says, you were in there! Come on, he says. "You were all dressed up, differently, in the clothes like you found in your room." she explains.  I think you had a hallucination, he suggests.  She denies it--I thought you'd put on the clothes for a joke
--I spoke to you, but you just stood there, playing with that boat--your boat!  (continuity error, of course, he was on the rocking horse in the previous day's ep, not playing with the boat.) It's not MY boat, says David, it's Tad's--you saw Tad!  He looked just like you! wails Hallie. David goes to open the playroom door.  What are you doing? she demands--don't!  I have to go in there-- Tad's here to see me, says David.  He opens the door, calling Tad, but he's gone. David picks up the boat.  Do you think Tad is here? asks Hallie, but we just can't see him?  I don't know, replies David--Tad!--If you're here, please let us see you--please. They hear the sounds of children laughing--children who sound just like themselves.

Carolyn, seated on the drawing room sofa, reads ASTROLOGY by Louis MacNeice. She answers the door to Sebastian Shaw, who wants to talk to her about "that look in your eyes."  It's the resemblance to my dead husband, explains Carolyn, I'm sorry--did you bring my horoscope? He nods.  I so hoped you would, says Carolyn--I've been reading the book you gave my mother--it's fascinating, really. Isn't that a dilettante's word? he asks sarcastically--you don't believe in astrology at all, do you?  I never have, admits Carolyn. You're honest, says Shaw, that will make this easier--I started your horoscope, Mrs. Hawkes, but I had difficulty finishing it--you didn't come to me for your horoscope--it was all an excuse--I KNOW why you came, because of all the questions you asked--I'm not your husband, Mrs. Hawkes--you must have loved him very much to think that I was. The dead do return, states Carolyn, I do believe that. I'm not proof of that, he says, and you must accept that.  She looks sad.  I'm not going to finish your horoscope, he says (unfinished!)--I thinks it would be best, for your sake, if we never saw each other again. He starts to leave.  I'd be quite willing to have you finish it, she says. He turns--I only work for those who have the need to BELIEVE, he insists--and he leaves with a "Goodbye, Mrs. Hawkes." Barnabas, looking very handsome in a black suit, comes downstairs. "CAROLYN!" he cries, shocked. Did you think you were seeing Jeb? she asks--so did I. Who is he? asks Barn. Sebastian Shaw, says Carolyn. The resemblance is remarkable! remarks Barn. Merely a resemblance, nothing more, Carolyn assures him. He did your mother's horoscope, didn't he? asks Barn. Yes, she says, and he started to do mine, but isn't going to finish it--ever. Carolyn, that's one of the clues! says Barnabas excitedly.

The unfinished horoscope, says Barnabas. One of the clues from 1995? asks Carolyn--what does it mean?  I don't know, who knows what any of it means? he asks--where it Rose Cottage?--but that horoscope must be finished--perhaps if we can change one thing, perhaps we can change the course of everything--we all know the importance of chances in our lives; a meeting can start a romance, but if the meeting never takes place, our whole lives are changed (thinking of anyone in particular, Barn?) How well I know that, he says. So do I, agrees Carolyn sadly.
We have much in common, says Barnabas, I, too, have lost someone I love--her name is Roxanne, but she's in parallel time, lost to me as Jeb is to you. But is she? asks Carolyn--we all exist in both times, as I understand it, so there is somewhere, alive, a Roxanne. Somewhere, says Barnabas. Perhaps you can find her, suggests Carolyn. Thinking about her doesn't help, says Barn--you must go to Shaw and have him finish that horoscope.  No, he won't do that, says Carolyn, he doesn't think I'm sincere. We must make him finish that horoscope! insists Barnabas.

David's room - So, you saw a ghost, Hallie, says David--you can't tell about Tad.  I'm going to, she insists. You can't, says David, the people from the room won't like it. I don't care whether they like it or not, says Hallie. They made you fall and hurt your arm, he reminds her--there's no telling what they'll do if they really get angry.  What do they want from us--really want? You heard them say they want to live, says David. But they can't! protests Hallie.  They can't, agrees David, but...I don't know, all I know is, you can't tell--remember when we went to tell Aunt Liz?--what they did was just a warning. All right, she agrees, if you'll promise something to me--that you'll never go into that room again, ever!--I mean it, David!--I won't go, either, but we can't go in that room, ever--please, maybe if we don't go in there, they will leave us alone--promise me!  He promises. And you'll keep it, too, she insists. I'll keep it, he vows. Oh, David, she rhapsodizes, I know they'll leave us alone, I feel different already--I guess growing up is learning to be sensible. I guess so, says David. So we'll go horseback riding or something tomorrow? she blathers. Sure, agrees David, smiling. And we'll forget this ever happened, OK? she adds. OK, he agrees. She leaves his room.  He closes the door, sits at his desk and opens a book. He begins to hear the carousel music and closes the book, looking disturbed, uneasy. He covers his ears and screams STOP IT! The music ceases. He hears his own voice in the room, saying, "David."  Are you here? cries David--leave us alone!  His dresser drawer opens by itself, revealing Tad's clothing. He takes it out and holds it up. Come to the playroom, David, urges Tad's persuasive voice, we don't want to hurt you, come to the playroom, the playroom. Will you be there? David asks the air. The playroom, repeats Tad, over and over.  David, discarding the outfit on the floor, leaves his room, walking as if in a trance.

Carolyn reads the astrology book. Hallie leans over--"Horoscopes?"  she asks.  Carolyn closes the book--I'm just trying to find out if I could really believe in it, she says--do you?  I don't know, says Hallie, I guess so, only. . I don't know why people want to know the future. It's reassuring, laughs Carolyn. Hallie points out, horoscopes can tell bad things, too, and there are so many bad things. So many? repeats Carolyn. More than I ever realized, says Hallie. Are you talking about your parents' accident or something that's happened here, since then? asks Carolyn. Oh, the accident, says Hallie insincerely, nodding.

David enters the playroom, where the music is in full swing, carousel turning. He looks at the turning horses intently.

8:30 - Hallie. on the foyer phone, assures Uncle Eliot, I'm fine, honest--everything here is just groovy (oh, my God, she actually used the G word, where are the Bradys?)--it is so a word, Uncle Eliot, well don't start lecturing me now--all right, I'll see you tomorrow, bye-bye.  Carolyn comes downstairs--Hallie, when did you last see David? she asks. About an hour ago, says Hallie. Where? asks Carolyn. Up in his room, studying his French, says Hallie (Maggie teaches French)? He isn't there now, says Carolyn. Maybe he went to...to Maggie's room for help, suggests Hallie. I looked there, too, says Carolyn. Do you need him for something special? asks Hallie. Why? asks Carolyn, do you know where David is?  No, answers Hallie--it's such a big house, he could be anywhere--and she goes upstairs.

David is still staring at the carousel, which stops turning and playing. He smiles and looks around the room, admiring the portrait on the wall (of Tad and Carrie)? Hallie stands outside the playroom door--I know he's in there, she tells herself--I must not be afraid, I mustn't!  She opens the door and launches into an attack--"You promised you'd never come here again!"  What are you talking about? he asks, sitting on the rocking horse--why would I say a thing like that? But you did! she insists, in your room, don't you remember? No, he says, getting off the horse--I'm getting old for some of these toys, I should seriously think of giving some of them away. David! she says. What did you call me? he asks. What's happened to you? she demands--I knew if we came in here something awful would happen, I knew it!  Whatever has happened, he says, Carrie, has happened to you, not me. Carrie? she asks. Where did you get those clothes, he demands, you'd better take them off before anyone sees you in them. Why did you call me Carrie? she asks. Oh, your questions are getting more and more absurd, he complains--it's your name! My name is Carrie? she asks. Yes, he says, and I never thought I'd have to introduce you to yourself--well, now I have. And you're¢â‚¬¦Tad, she says. At your service, he says, giving her a little bow. Get out of this room, she pleads. Why are you so upset--I'm perfectly willing to leave, he assures her. You are? she asks. Yes, he says, I've been waiting for you--you see, there's something we have to find. What? she asks. Rose Cottage, of course, he says. She looks at him, flummoxed.

Rose Cottage doesn't exist! says Hallie. "Tad" says, I don't understand you today. Tell me what it is, says Hallie--I know Julia and Barnabas are trying to find out about it. He repeats the names, not understanding--who are they? You don't know? she asks. I have never heard those names in my life, he says. Please let's get out of this room, she begs. Of course, he says, "Ladies before gentlemen, I believe."  He gestures grandly for her to exit. Oh, this room is so pleasant, he says, I shall truly regret the day when I am too old to come here. They leave the room; he closes the door. David, now tell me about Rose Cottage! she demands. He covers his face with his hands.  David! she cries, are you all right?  Why are we here? he asks  You don't remember any of it? she asks. No, he says, all I remember is that I was in my room. Come, please let's get away from here, she says, leading the way. Tell me what I said! he pleads. The camera pans to the playroom door.

We see a folder that reads, "CAROLYN STODRARD HAWKES" next to a sculpture of a hand that looks like an ashtray. Shaw picks it up and puts it in his desk drawer. Barnabas knocks at his door and introduces himself. I only see people by appointment, says Shaw. It's most important, says Barnabas, it's about my cousin, Carolyn. Shaw lets him in and closes the doors. I dealt with your cousin in the kindest way I knew, he assures Barnabas. I know that, says Barn, but I'm not here about your resemblance to Jeb Hawkes--you must finish Carolyn's horoscope. I must? asks Shaw, eyebrows raised. It's very important for her well-being, insists Barnabas.
I'm an astrologist, not a doctor (shades of Bones again), says Shaw. You will be paid, of course, says Barnabas, and whatever your price, I'll be glad to double it. You're a generous man, comments Shaw. You will finish the horoscope as soon as you can, please, says Barnabas anxiously. Shaw refuses. But you must! says Barnabas. I will not, says Shaw--the only shoeman (???) who tells me what I must do, is me--it's very important that I live the way I want to, and work for those who I feel need my help--now I don't want to get involved with your cousin, and if I did her horoscope, I knew I would. You needn't do that, Barnabas assures him--you'll never have to see her again if you finish this. Shaw, astounded, asks, can you promise that?  Yes, says Barn. If you have such a hold over her, says Shaw, I should be doing YOUR horoscope, not hers--no, Mr. Collins, I choose who I want to work for--and I choose not to work for you, either. Shaw suddenly looks   heavenward, as if he's listening to faraway music--I must go to my meditation, he says--surely you aren't so insensitive as to interfere with that--don't bother saying goodbye, Mr. Collins. He goes into another room and closes the door. Barnabas follows, begging to the closed door, "Mr. Shaw, please!" A woman's voice calls, "Sebastian," and a red-haired woman who looks exactly like Roxanne, carrying a grocery bag, enters the room. Barnabas' face lights up.
"Roxanne! Roxanne, it's you!" he says reverently.

NOTES: Oh, boy, she's back, and he's ecstatic! Who is she, what is she doing with Shaw, and what was that weird thing in his eyes when he said he had to meditate?

Tad has possessed David and Carries has possessed Hallie so far. We're seeing a repeat of the TURN OF THE SCREW story again, with different twists, first one kid is possessed, then the other.

You've got to love Shaw, he's so bombastic, and even though his refusal to give Liz a price was interesting, you wonder if he's legit--and exactly what he does want? Will Barnabas tell him why the horoscope must be finished--and if he does, will Shaw even care? Rumor has it that Chris Pennock was stoned when he did much of his performance as Shaw, and that wouldn't surprise me. Pennock seems, then and now, like a man of the Sixties.

Love, Robin