Author Topic: Sarah's photo?  (Read 987 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Sarah's photo?
« on: March 05, 2002, 09:37:09 PM »
?!?Photographs in 1795?? ?!?

Why hasn't anyone mentioned before the improbability of Sarah's photo?  Photography was not widely used until the mid-1800s.  The first successful photograph was produced in 1827. . .Another DS historical inaccuracy, one that should have been verified. . .especially with all those art majors hanging around the studio decorating sets. . ??

So I'm leaving on a jetplane. .. everyone sing the song. . i will be back again March 19. . .London, Paris and Barcelona here I come. . . ;D
Julia99

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah's photo?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2002, 11:24:53 PM »
The picture used for Sarah was probably a holdover from the original origin of Barnabas being in the 1830's and like Naomi's headstone was never changed.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2002, 01:22:54 AM »
I think it was just another Dark Shadows whoopsadaisey, and we've all just gotten so use to them (like having portraits of people hanging here and there decades BEFORE anyone like that was born).

And you have fun in Yoor-up, Julia99!  Buy us all something nice!  None of this T-shirts or Eiffel Tower shampoo containers or Big Ben in the bottom of an ashtray stuff!

Gerard

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2002, 02:12:10 AM »
Have a safe and wonderful trip abroad! :)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2002, 07:34:11 PM »
It's not meant to be a photo -- you're meant to think it's a painting...  

I actually have a couple of shots from that photo session that I'll be using for an upcoming project -- they only exist because Sharon Smyth kept the negative all these years, which had been left discarded and scratched on the studio floor.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2002, 08:53:31 PM »
If you want to talk anachronisms, how about them zippers?

They weren't invented until the early 1900s.  Before this, fasteners were buttons or hooks and eyes.

I realize that this isn't the SCA, but you would think they could be a wee bit less obvious about them, wouldn't you?

Luciaphil
(who griped about Kelly McGillis' multiply pierced ears when she was playing a simple Amish woman in "Witness").
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2002, 09:14:21 PM »
Wow - I've been on the board a loooong time because I remember the zipper issue coming up way back when we went through 1795 before.  I even thought of it the other day when I saw this commercial with an actress who is supposed to be Queen Isabella (I think) wearing a dress that has got to have a zipper down the back.  I thought, well if they aren't going to be authentic in this short commercial they really should have tried to shoot around that zipper. On DS that would have pretty close to impossible I suppose.  ;D
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad