Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0507  (Read 1077 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0507
« on: July 24, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »
Robservations #507

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0507

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 05:22:59 PM »
Carolyn has the Dream, even though Willie never got to tell her his!   He barely began and then Carolyn bit and that was it.   Interesting that she was able to refuse the Dream partway through, and I thought this might be because she hadn't been told the rest, but no, as it turns out.

Stokes has made "calculations" that tell him there will be one more Dream, and that it will be a woman who has it!   I guess I missed math class that day...

Carolyn is persuaded to have the whole Dream.  So where's Barnabas, while all this is going on in his house?   Still looking under rocks for Adam?  Is this still the same night as Adam's fall and Willie's break-in?   

Is Josette's bed always up against the wall, as it appears to be here, when Carolyn uses it?   If so, then usually when we see it, we the viewers are actually seeing it from inside that wall, or on the other side of it in the next room.

I strongly suspect that Thayer inserted all his character's clever, ironic lines.  Whoever wrote the scripts at this point would not have been capable of it.

Dream-Stokes is all about his lecturing, pointing index finger.   Carolyn's full Dream is the only credible one we've had, partly because of some new music.   On her tombstone, her birthday is John Lennon's death-day.

Elliot's own Dream starts...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 09:15:33 PM »
I love the way Carolyn's first experience with the dream in this ep is shot:

Double exposure may seem like a commonplace technique in this day and age - maybe even an overused one. But it wasn't back in the day - and certainly not on daytime. Just another example of how some of the effects on DS were really cutting edge for their day.  [ghost_wink]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 09:31:03 PM »
I totally agree, MB, at certain instances the double exposure was awe inspiring and actually mesmerizing. I was very impressed.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 12:20:35 AM »
Thanks for the frame grab, MB! Really beautiful.

Stokes gets some great lines, whether or not thanks to TD. My favorite is this: "The witch didn't count on my Yankee impudence," he chortles, a comment that surely would have made Ben chortle too.

Tomorrow's episode shows us the professor at his best!

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 06:10:51 AM »
This is an episode where I would feel the need to practically quote all of it. The opening scene and theme sounds were messed up. They sounded warped and distorted and the Collinwood Theme was lost all together at one point.

Carolyn is impressive. She stops her dream, refuses to go through with it. You seem to doubt that it is because she was not told the full dream, Magnus, but I don't remember seeing or hearing anything to disprove that theory. As a matter of fact, I thought it odd that Willie should still have to tell Carolyn the full dream in order for her to have it (according to Stokes) but it would make sense that she could not have the full dream unless having been told the full dream (and therefore was able to stop it and wake herself up). I found it very intersting that Carolyn feels the same dread as the others having had the dream as her fearing having the dream. An nice twist.

This is certainly Thayer's episode with all the great quotable lines and even comic relief. Hall was left in the dust against him.

I noticed one 'theme' that carries on throughout the (present day) series started today and that's Julia's knowledge of Barn's vampirism being kept from Stokes even though Stokes will be repeatedly called upon to assist Barn & Jule's in their endeavors while being somewhat always kept in the dark.

Carolyn is still in the nightgown she went to bed in so I would assume it is still the same evening, Magnus, and that Barn is still searching for Adam. Though how Julia got Carolyn out of the house past Liz is anyone's guess.

The Stokes character being good or evil is still one percent uncertain, IMO. Just three actors in this episode.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 06:29:34 AM »
Anyone find it odd that Stokes sounds surprised that Julia thinks the witch is a woman? I thought it was twice established that Cassandra/Angelique was the witch that set the dream curse in motion. Wasn't it stated at the beginning of the episode?

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 05:38:31 AM »
Stokes says he can enter the dream and if he lives it may stop the curse. He does enter the dream. I wonder why they didn't draw out the suspense by making it seem he died because of the dream.  Carolyn sees her tombstone which is incredibly horrifying to her. Stokes says he will defy the witch in his dream. I wonder why Cassandra has not interfered in Stokes interference. She seems to have been making sure that everyone has the dream if they try to avoid the dream.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 05:52:58 AM »
Funny that nobody seemed to notice that the portrait of Josette resembled Maggie (possibly because it doesn't) until Barnabas came along. I always felt that the writers expected the audience to suspend its disbelief too much in this regard.

Also, I wonder how Stokes knows how the 18th Century Barnabas "acted." Or is that just a comment on the modern Barnabas' old-fashioned, gentlemanly ways?