Author Topic: The Bat Pack?  (Read 1194 times)

Offline boykading

• Junior Poster
  • Arggh.
    • View Profile
The Bat Pack?
« on: August 21, 2003, 10:07:09 PM »
Here's something silly that's been sizzling on my brain pan for a while...The husband and I are big Rat Pack fans and after watching PT for the first time, it got me thinking that DS has some rat pack "counterparts".

First, Barn is Sinatra. He's the central figure, moody, romantic, an absolutely wonderful voice.

Quentin is Dino - the lovable rogue who likes his hooch.

Willie is sort of a cross between Sammy (multi-talented, loyal, diminutive) and Joey Bishop (comic relief with a NY accent).

Julia is definitely Shirley Maclaine - the redhead, who all the guys think of as a sister.

Roger's got kind of a Peter Lawford-lockjaw thing going.

Even though she's blond, Angelique is Ava Gardner - the beauty that Barn has an intenese love-hate thing with.

Roxanne is Mia Farrow - the much-younger waif that Barn hangs around with for a while to sort of, um, cleanse his palette.

I guess in a stretch you could say that Josette is like Nancy, Frank's first wife (and a brunette) - their relationship ended when they were both still young, but they remained close for the rest of his life.

So there you have it. Fun with archetypes. Does anybody see this besides me? Or am I on crack again?  ;)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:The Bat Pack?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 10:49:12 PM »
I think your "role" assignments are absolutely inspired, boykading!!  Did this come to you in the middle of  watching "Ocean's Eleven"?.....or perhaps listening to a CD of Frankie and Dino singing a duet?  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 10:57:55 PM »
boykading, I love it - brilliant! ;D
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 01:08:08 AM »
 ;D Love it! That was very clever and I thought on the mark.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 05:09:29 AM »
Hey,, that was great!!  You really got talent there!!!

Deb

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 11:46:59 AM »
Fabulous.  Wow!  That was great.  I especially likes the part about Barnabas and Quentin.   [hello]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 07:03:56 PM »
Bat Pack?  Love it, boykading!  Too bad they never made it to Vegas, eh?

I could imagine some of the popular tunes the Bat Pack would sing.  Considering the ubiquitous DS themes of possession, witchcraft, etc., I suggest the following:

I've Got You Under My Skin

The Lady is a Witch

That Old Devil Moon

It's Witchcraft

And perhaps the most apt of all, considering the perennial "I don't understand" theme of the show:

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered

I'll leave the lyrics to someone else.

[blackbat] [blackbat] [blackbat]
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline boykading

• Junior Poster
  • Arggh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2003, 08:51:21 PM »
I think your "role" assignments are absolutely inspired, boykading!!  Did this come to you in the middle of  watching "Ocean's Eleven"?.....or perhaps listening to a CD of Frankie and Dino singing a duet?  ;)

Thank you Rainey, but you know, I don't really know how I thought of this! Maybe just from gazing at the wall near my desk, where I've got pictures of both Dino and Barn. That's the funny thing, the archetypes don't entirely match up for me - Dino is far and away my favorite Rat, but Barn's my absolute favorite Bat. [blackbat]

And HappyBat, loved your song suggestions! But still, the idea of Barn singing kind of gives me the Willies! ;)

Thanks to everyone who responded - you made me feel a little less cracked!