Author Topic: Stokes and His Niece  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Stokes and His Niece
« on: August 21, 2003, 04:51:06 AM »
Well, the Professor is one who believes Barnabas' story and he even suggested sending Hallie away!  But, no, they both agree that's a BAD idea!!  It could upset Elizabeth?1!!  She's already been told all that's to happen.

And, David lives there, but since Stokes supposedly cares about his niece, and that's why he's having her live with these "nice" people in "nice" Collinwood, knowing that she's to turn into a ghost in 1970, I would think that he and Barnabas would both figure to get her out of there!!  Even if it doesn't save anyone else, at least it would spare her!!
Josette

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
Re:Stokes and His Niece
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 03:49:54 PM »
I agree completely, Josette.   Keeping Hallie at Collinwood makes no sense at all.  Considering the fact that Adam had once stayed at the Professor's house, surely Stokes must have had room there for his own niece!   [hdscrt]
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 05:09:37 PM »
I agree completely, Josette.   Keeping Hallie at Collinwood makes no sense at all.  Considering the fact that Adam had once stayed at the Professor's house, surely Stokes must have had room there for his own niece!   [hdscrt]

Maybe that's the REAL reason Hallie wasn't staying with the good Professor......perhaps Adam was STILL THERE! [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 05:29:11 PM »
Maybe that's the REAL reason Hallie wasn't staying with the good Professor......perhaps Adam was STILL THERE! [lghy]

Raineypark,

You know, we very often think alike!  (It must be the same type of Mediterranean blood or something.)

Bob the Bartender

PS Maybe after his extensive plastic surgery, Adam, in an attempt to keep Sheriff Patterson off of his back,  now has a kisser that looks remarkably like, say, either Rondo "The Creeper" Hatton or Dennis "The Worm" Rodman?  The big guy will now easily blend into the crowd in Collinsport, don't you think?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 05:33:47 PM »
Bob....I think he blended in just fine in Collinwood when he looked like Frankenstein. [vryevl]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 05:43:44 PM »
Bob....I think he blended in just fine in Collinwood when he looked like Frankenstein. [vryevl]

Your point is well taken!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 09:19:04 PM »
I don't think it's a question of not having enough room at the Professor's place but more of what and how to care for the girl, especially emotionally.   I don't think the Professor has had enough experience around children and probably feels that Hallie is better off at Collinwood where she may get more attention than he can give her. (little does he know)

Im suprised he hadn't thought of sending her off to a boarding school.  That may have been a better and safer solution than Collinwood, but perhaps he can't afford it.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 09:55:32 PM »
And at Collinwood she can be tutored (by Maggie the genius, lol) and have someone her own age to hang around with. Not to mention female role models. But this "branch" of this topic started as joke, right?

But getting back to the original train of thought - knowing what's to happen, it really doesn't make much sense on the part of Stokes to keep his niece in such inevitable danger. The fact that Hallie wouldn't be there may have been all that was needed to thwart the threat (although I/we know better...).

Oh! Look! Here comes another fork in the post!

...And David isn't getting any smarter as he ages. After the ghost of Quentin, he should be the last person at Collinwood to be investigating ghostsly mysteries. Obviously, this kid needs to be shipped off to military school. lol.

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2003, 11:04:38 PM »
And at Collinwood she can be tutored (by Maggie the genius, lol) and have someone her own age to hang around with. Not to mention female role models. But this "branch" of this topic started as joke, right?

But getting back to the original train of thought - knowing what's to happen, it really doesn't make much sense on the part of Stokes to keep his niece in such inevitable danger. The fact that Hallie wouldn't be there may have been all that was needed to thwart the threat (although I/we know better...).

Oh! Look! Here comes another fork in the post!

...And David isn't getting any smarter as he ages. After the ghost of Quentin, he should be the last person at Collinwood to be investigating ghostsly mysteries. Obviously, this kid needs to be shipped off to military school. lol.

Dom,

As a lifelong Dark Shadows fan, I'm reluctant to criticize the imaginative Dan Curtis and the wonderful DS writers.  Nevertheless, isn't (or wasn't) the seemingly continuing supernatural possession of the "Collinwood kids" becoming just the least bit hackneyed at this point?

I mean, we've already seen David and Amy possessed by the evil ghost of Quentin Collins (Strike one!).  Next, those nasty Leviathans took control of David and Amy's minds (Strike two!).  And, of course, you don't have to Sebastian Shaw (or Jean Dixon) to figure what's going to happen next to David and his new occult companion/experiencer, Hallie Stokes (Strike three!  You're out!!!).

At this point, seeing the (now-teenaged) Collinwood kids come under the influence and control of some malevolent spirit, is about as engrossing and fascinating as watching Larry King discuss Arnold Schwarzenegger's presumptive run for governor of California, with guests Paul Begala and Robert Novak: "Zzzz...zzzz...zzzz..."

Bob the Bartender, who believes that Collinwood children/teenagers should, most definitely, be seen and not heard at all!!!

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 01:15:15 AM »
     You're so right, Bob the Bartender.  They have done the "possessed children" thing to death.  It would have been interesting if they had made Hallie an evil character(think young Angelique)  It could have been David's first romance with an evil edge to it.  Of coarse, this would have required more imagination on the writers part.  Oh well.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2003, 04:57:20 AM »
Makes perfect sense that Stokes would send "Napa Valley Hallie" to stay at Collinwood.  While he is surely a loving and caring uncle, I doubt that after years of bachelorhood he would enjoy having an hysterical teenage girl as a houseguest.   ;D

Regards,

John

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2003, 08:35:53 AM »
Makes perfect sense that Stokes would send "Napa Valley Hallie" to stay at Collinwood.  While he is surely a loving and caring uncle, I doubt that after years of bachelorhood he would enjoy having an hysterical teenage girl as a houseguest.   ;D

I agree with that part - it explains why she's there now.  But, even he suggested to Barnabas that he take her away, so he must have some other place for her if not with himself.  My point is under the current circumstances, I would think he WOULD take her away!
Josette

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2003, 01:13:58 AM »
As a lifelong Dark Shadows fan, I'm reluctant to criticize the imaginative Dan Curtis and the wonderful DS writers.  Nevertheless, isn't (or wasn't) the seemingly continuing supernatural possession of the "Collinwood kids" becoming just the least bit hackneyed at this point?

Yes. 1970 leading up to and including 1840 is more or less a rehash of 1897. I think at this point DC and the writers realized everything they had done since the ending of 1897 had been less successful and attempted to recreate what had worked so well in the past.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2003, 12:29:51 PM »
And at Collinwood she can be tutored (by Maggie the genius, lol)

It's 7:27am, and Dom, I swear I kept reading and REREADING this, cause I thought you were saying Maggie could torture Hallie.

Oyevah...it's so Mondayish.

Do we ever heard where/what Hallie's Mommy & Daddy are (I think we do, but I forget).
What a Woman!

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2003, 04:22:20 AM »
Do we ever heard where/what Hallie's Mommy & Daddy are (I think we do, but I forget).

They were killed in an accident recently.  It's mentioned when her presence is first explained to Barnabas and Julia, and then she referred to it a couple of times when talking to Carolyn and Maggie, for instance.
Josette