Author Topic: Never without you, Julia!  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
Never without you, Julia!
« on: August 20, 2003, 10:24:00 PM »
The Barnabas and Julia relationship, dysfunctional though it may be, sends a pleasant chill up my spine during this storyline.  And yesterday's scene in which Barnabas refused to leave Julia behind in 1995 is truly touching.  The tenderness and concern in his voice, the way he looks at her, the way he touches her are a delight for Barnabas/Julia ¢â‚¬Ëœshippers.

It would appear that Roxanne is already forgotten, and that perhaps Barnabas has begun realize just how much he cares for the good doctor.  Perhaps he has even started to look at Julia in a more than platonic light.  Dare we hope?  I have to admit to getting a little choked up as I watched this scene.  :'(

I seem to remember some source claiming that Jonathan Frid and Grayson Hall both stated that eventually, they decided to play these characters like a couple.  Does anyone know if this is the point in the series that they made this creative decision?  Or is this just one of the many myths that seem to surround Dark Shadows???
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Never without you, Julia!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 04:44:08 AM »
That's always one of my favorite scenes from the series.  Of course, he could care about her deeply as a friend and still not have any romantic feelings.

But, knowing how he threatened her in the past and his normal reaction to a betrayal, when he first approaches her, exclaiming "you betrayed me," and they break for a commercial, one almost expects the worst!

Then, one sees how loyal and concerned he is and what he'll do to save her.  When she falls into his arms, I just love it!!
Josette

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 02:45:14 PM »
i thought that was a great line and he said it with a great deal'
of emotion. maybe he really did end up with Julia!
[spoiler]after all the last time we see them they are walking off together into tv history![/spoiler]

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Nancy

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 03:10:47 PM »
I seem to remember some source claiming that Jonathan Frid and Grayson Hall both stated that eventually, they decided to play these characters like a couple.  Does anyone know if this is the point in the series that they made this creative decision?  Or is this just one of the many myths that seem to surround Dark Shadows???

I think it's a myth.  Over the years I think I've either read or been given every interview JF has done and in all those discussing his days on DS, he never indicated he thought Julia and Barnabas were "a couple."  In fact, he was quite surprised and confused when a fan presented him with a fanzine a few years ago with Barnabas and Julia on the cover very much "together" and his response was "He was never with her."

But then JF never went into who he thought Barnabas should have wound up with at least not in any interview I ever saw.  I think his deal was to just play whatever the script called for.  Grayson Hall wanted to inject more depth into her role so she decided to have her character be in love with the vampire. Rather ingenious on her part really.  It really added to the part which otherwise would have been pretty cold and clinical, not to mention uninteresting if anyone else had played it.  GH's theatre experience really came in handy.

I do think many people undervalue any non-sexual bond between a man and a woman as if it simply isn't as important as a romantic relationship.  I have always disagreed with that notion.  Friendships are indeed a rock of survival for many even those also involved in a romantic relationships.  Emotional intimacy is a lot harder to develop and sustain.

Nancy

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 05:53:46 PM »
I do think many people undervalue any non-sexual bond between a man and a woman as if it simply isn't as important as a romantic relationship.  I have always disagreed with that notion.  Friendships are indeed a rock of survival for many even those also involved in a romantic relationships.  Emotional intimacy is a lot harder to develop and sustain.

I so agree, Nancy!  And even if we don't believe that Barnabas and Julia had mutual romantic feelings for each other, the friendship that they built over the years was amazingly solid.  This scene illustrates that perfectly.  Think back to 1967.  If she had betrayed him then (and he usually thought she had), his impulse was always choke first, ask questions later!

But by 1970, they had been through so much together.  It's nice to see that the writers had enough respect for the emotional intimacy between these characters to include this scene of closeness; it shows true growth - a hallmark of good television, IMHO.  :)
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 07:45:29 PM »
Well for those of you going to the Fest. .all I can say is look out for a very public appreciation of that scene . ..on Saturday. . .look for YELLOW. . i shall say no more.  .
Julia99

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 01:30:28 AM »
   Does Barnabas and Julia's relationship fall into the same category as General Hospitals Dr. Hardy and his nurse Jesse, Perry Mason and Della Street, or Gunsmokes Matt Dillon and Miss Kitty?  I'm sure there are probably more that I can't think of at the moment.  The women are there to be loyal and taken for granted.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2003, 01:36:39 AM »
Kind of makes you wonder why our mothers didn't throw things at the television....often.  :P
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2003, 02:04:04 AM »
   Does Barnabas and Julia's relationship fall into the same category as General Hospitals Dr. Hardy and his nurse Jesse, Perry Mason and Della Street, or Gunsmokes Matt Dillon and Miss Kitty?  I'm sure there are probably more that I can't think of at the moment.  The women are there to be loyal and taken for granted.

onyx_treasure,

Those are excellent comparisons you've made between Barnabas and Julia, and these other (evidently) platonic relationships you've cited.

How about these platonic/professional couples?:

John Steed and Mrs. Emma Peel

Clark Kent and Lois Lane (from the 1950s' TV show)

Hawkeye Pierce and Nurse Kelly

Manuel and Polly (from "Fawlty Towers")

Jim Phelps and Cinnamon Carter (from "Mission:Impossible!")

Eddie Haskell and Lumpy Rutherford (I apologize.  I just couldn't resist it!)

Nancy

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 02:53:30 AM »
I'm sure these ladies feel that way if they are in an unrequited love relationship but IMO you can't compel someone to love you simply because you are loyal, etc.  Those are qualities we are free to choose in friends and we are guided towards those people more by intellect.  Love is another set of chemistry altogether and someone either loves you in the romantic sense or they do not.  I don't get villainizing someone simply because they aren't able to fall in love with someone who deserves their love.

Nancy

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2003, 03:19:37 AM »
     Wow, Bob_the_Bartender.  You are sharp as a tack.  I drew a blank and all I could think of was The Lone Ranger and Tonto.
     Do people villainize Barnabas because he doesn't return Julia's affection?  I always think of the relationship between James Bond and Miss Moneypenny.  He is young and handsome.  She was rather matronly.  Miss Moneypenny was out of her league.  I think they miscast Barnabas and Julia because they seem the same age and both are not movie star gorgeous.  They look like an old married couple.
PS  Before I get booed for knocking Grayson's looks. She looked alot like my late mother.  My mother won a beauty contest when she was in her early twenties.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2003, 03:27:35 AM »
     Wow, Bob_the_Bartender.  You are sharp as a tack.  I drew a blank and all I could think of was The Lone Ranger and Tonto.

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Now THAT was funny, onyx_treasure! [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2003, 04:10:43 AM »
I believe as time went on, beginning with the Adam storyline and growing there after, Barnbas became quite fond of Julia.  He realized what a good friend she was and all she had done to help him, even when he did not deserve that help.  I think it was a fondness that sort of slipped up on him.  At first she was just a doctor, which he claimed early on is all she could ever be to him.  Then she became a need alley.  Then as she did more for him, never exposing his secret, she became a trusted friend.  As she did more for him and took chances for him, like going back to 1897 to help him and coming to P T. to save his life, he began to realize and appreciate  that she was more than just a friend...she was his best friend.  I don't think he loved her in the romantic sense of the word, but he loved her as a very treasured person and special friend.  Their relationship was unusual and rare.  Despite the deeper feelings that Julia had for him which I don't think he shared for her,  they managed to not let that come between them and instead developed a bond stronger than even some people have in a romantic relationship.  They depended on one another on so many levels.  It was unlike any other relationship in any other soap I remember seeing.

raholt

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2003, 04:04:50 PM »
I tend to knock Barnabas alot for his immaturity and self-involvement but i wouldn't want to be seen as demonizing him because he does't return Julia's feelings.  She is truly his closest and best friend. .in fact I think he does learn alot about love by being around her.  I also think Julia should've gone out and gotten something on the side (i'm perpetually pissed that G wasn't given a real romantic storyline--just a dinner date or two would've been fine. .i don't need to see Julia slobbering with someone--) . . .I always marvel at how mature she is about how she feels for him, accepts he doesn't return it. . and steps up to help those that he does love, even if it's a SYT (e.g. not doing in a certain redhead very soon). . .true she did take Vicki around with those crystals but that was a selfish/save my science project Julia Hoffman. . .she grew up a lot too over the course of the show.  I do however, tend to think that with all the past put to rest after returning to 1971. . .B would've eventually found his very sincere affetion for Julia taking another road. . . And in terms of casting and physical allure.  .yes Barnabas and Julia just "look" like they'd be together rather than him and Maggie, Vicki/Josette, Angie or Roxanne. . .when he kisses those gals .. i just go "ohh so not right .."
Julia99

Offline Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • aka Grayson Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2003, 03:45:19 PM »
Well for those of you going to the Fest. .all I can say is look out for a very public appreciation of that scene . ..on Saturday. . .look for YELLOW. . i shall say no more.  .

I shall be looking for it!  :o
"Aren't you Joan Bennett?"
"I used to be."