Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0504  (Read 684 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0504
« on: July 19, 2013, 03:42:33 PM »
Robservations #504

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0504

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:05:28 PM »
Adam is in a cell at the police station, being tormented by an evil jailer. Elizabeth (still in her pretty lavender ensemble) and Vicki come to see Adam. Elizabeth asks him where Carolyn is. He senses her distress and would tell her, too, if only he had the words. Elizabeth is discouraged. Vicki says, I think he feels sorry for you.

Carolyn is still waiting for Adam to return but is getting very discouraged at being trapped in the cellar, which is apparently the only remnant of a burned-out house. If you don’t come back, she tells him, and nobody finds me, I’ll die here! Where are you? she wails desperately. [She is wearing little yellow patent leather mod-style shoes with her green skirt and sweater.]

Meanwhile, Adam looks out his cell window, calling out forlornly but with equal desperation, Friend! Food! Finally he gives up and weeps pitifully. (I can't help thinking Naomi would know what to do.)

Cassangelique listens with great interest as Elizabeth connects the dots and makes the connection between Barnabas and Adam. Cassandra tries to get information out of Vicki, who can't help seeing the resemblance between Cassandra and Angelique. Cassangelique bursts into crocodile tears and exclaims, Everyone in this house is against me! She runs out of the room, but on the way upstairs, she slows down and smiles.

Elizabeth comes down later and asks Vicki if there has been any news of Carolyn. Vicki is forced to say no, then adds that she may have misjudged Cassandra. But Elizabeth says firmly, Your first instinct was correct. I’ve never trusted Cassandra, and I still don't.

Adam's tormentor resumes his careless behavior, banging his nightstick on the bars and waving his gun around. Then he makes the mistake of entering the cell with Adam to get up close and personal. Adam is frightened but is clearly not the aggressor. Working in the outer office, the sheriff hears his deputy shout, but by the time he gets to the holding area, the deputy is lying unconscious on the floor of the otherwise empty cell, whose window bars have been forced apart--wide enough to allow a very large man to get through....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:02:19 PM »
We learn that Carolyn's in the cellar of a burnt-out house... I wonder about the history of that house.   Adam should thank Clifford Pelow's "pig" character for the extra adrenaline inrush needed to break his chains...   The cop character just shows that no matter how many good guys there might be in the police, that kind of job, the power over others, definitely also attracts exactly the worst kind of people.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 11:58:18 PM »
Whenever this ep comes up, I can never help but recall Lara Parker's remark that Alexandra Moltke made it quite evident that she was becoming more and more dissatisfied with playing Vicki because of how things were being written - and that she often acted out, including by not allowing the show's hairdressers to style her hair. And if there was ever a day when Vicki's hair was, well, certainly less than flattering, it has to be in this ep. I mean:

I've honestly always thought that AM's unrest came a bit later in the storyline. But then there is the fact that she did often complain that one of the things she liked least was (and I'm paraphrasing) how the show nearly cut of her boyfriend's head to put it on the man-made monster, which in turn caused Jeff and Barnabas to act very oddly, yet Vicki still never had a clue that there was something more than a bit odd about Barnabas himself, the things he was doing, and the things happening around him. So, I suppose her dissatisfaction could have actually begun as early as this...

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 11:11:47 PM »
Vickie is on!  Elizabeth and Vickie visit Adam in what seems like Vickie's old courthouse cell with bars on the basement window now. No doubt someone realized you could break the glass and get out between then and now.  The taunting jailer ends up with a broken neck and escaped Adam.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 03:04:38 AM »
Carolyn is not dead, but may as well be as played by Barrett. Liz thinks Carolyn is dead or soon will be. Vicki tries to comfort her - and the phone rings. It's the authorities informing her of Adam's capture and that there is no new news of Carolyn. Liz goes to town to talk to Adam in hopes of locating Carolyn. Vicki tags along to keep Liz as levelheaded as possible.

I thought root cellars were underground, but, whatevah. A trapped Carolyn tries to reason as a way to keep her sanity but that lasts about 18 seconds. Barrett is good here.

Liz & Vicki arrive at Adam's cell. But there's no relief for any of the three of them though we know what Adam is trying to relate to them.

Both Carolyn and Adam are desperate to reconnect with each other if not for the same reason, well in a way it's the same - I like it when this type of juxtaposition is used.

Liz has pretty much figured out much of the puzzle that is Adam and explains her theory to Vicki. It's pretty much the setup for the excuse Barnabas will inevitably use to explain the recent series of events. Well, that's my best guess.

I don't really get the point of the scene with Cass & Vicki - I guess it will explain it'self at some future point. Nice to know Liz still has and trusts her superior instincts.

Adam escapes - I am picturing him running away and joining a traveling circus as a strongman.

I think Moltke & Parker were useless here and the show could have been fine with the remaining four characters. I had a pinch of nostalgia listening to Bennett talk to Rodan in the jail scene, it sounded so 'old movies' to me. I get a kick out of seeing Vicki in the trenchcoat. I think this one is different than the one from the beginning of the series and I get most of my thrill knowing this is the trenchcoat and time period that we see Vicki Winters on the cover of the Ross novels. It is very nostalgic and takes me back to a time I actually enjoy remembering. The Ross novels were a lot of fun collecting, back in the day, as was being a DS fan.