Author Topic: Cross-Over Question  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Cross-Over Question
« on: July 09, 2013, 06:57:47 PM »
Monday a.m., I was watching an episode of "Twilight Zone" titled "Into That Long Morrow".
I *believe* the 'sitting room or living room' was the sitting room (drawing room) of Collinwood. When the TZ characters walked into 'entry' area, which included staircase, looked/s exactly as Collinwood.
Does anyone know if I'm correct?
Thanks,
Patti

PS, I don't know if it matters, but it was a 'teleplay', versus just a 'show'....
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-Over Question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 09:43:17 PM »
Are you sure you've got the right episode title, Patti?  I just watched it on youtube (to see if I could answer your question) and "Into That Long Morrow" stars Mariette Hartley who falls in love with an astronaut that will be sent on a 40-year-voyage.  It was all sets of futuristic long corridors and offices, no Collinwood to be found.  Maybe check the title again.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:22:01 AM »
Is this the 1980s Twilight Zone series?

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »
I'm sorry, "...Long Morrow" was the ep right before the one I'm referring to.
Sorry, I don't know the name; the 'gist' of it was an 'olderish' couple with a few 'servants' + a 'daughter', all of which are not what they seem.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 06:09:52 AM »
I don't know if it matters, but it was a 'teleplay', versus just a 'show'....

It was probably one of a small handful of TZ eps that were taped on video and used only manufactured sets (to supposedly save money).  But no, none of them were exactly like the Collinwood set.

the 'gist' of it was an 'olderish' couple with a few 'servants' + a 'daughter', all of which are not what they seem.

It sounds like "The Lateness of the Hour," which is one of the videotaped eps.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:43:29 PM »
YES!! It's that episode!!

Not to doubt the undoubtable  [ghost_grin] Midnite, but are you sure it isn't the exact set? It really looked like it....

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 05:03:32 AM »
Hi Patti, the DS sets were designed and built by Sy Tomashoff for DS in the Spring of 1966 (presumably May-June).  Nobody has bothered to quote a year for this Twlight Zone episode but from what Midnite wrote it sounds as if it was done in the 1950s.

I often see old house sets on ALFRED HITCHCOCK and BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER that seem reminiscent of the look Sy drew upon for Collinwood, but I think it's just a general concept of what a creepy old house would look like as established in the horror and suspense genres of the mid 20th century.

According to MB, set elements from DS were re-used on other ABC soaps after DS ended, notably ONE LIFE TO LIVE.

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 03:22:05 PM »
I watched the episode (on hulu) to check the sets (it was from 1960).  Although there is a slight similarity (the doors are stage-right, the fireplace centered), I didn't see anything else to indicate they were the same.  I'm thinking, back then, many stage-sets were formulistic based upon available space.

TZ made only about a half-dozen episodes switching from film to video (and then transcribed onto film) in an attempt to save money.  In the long run, for various reasons, it didn't work and the experiment stopped.  The most famous of them is "Night of the Meek" starring Art Carney as a homeless department store Santa who gets fired on Christmas Eve for being tanked.  Surrounded by cold, impoverished children who break his heart because they think he is Santa and there is nothing he can dor for them, he discovers that there is a certain wondrous magic to Christmas.  TV historians and critics consider it among TZ's best.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 03:47:11 PM »
Thanks, Gerard.  I'll have to look for that Art Carney episode you mention.  It sounds like a gem.

Best,

G.