Author Topic: OT--Wicker Man film is a go!  (Read 790 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OT--Wicker Man film is a go!
« on: August 15, 2003, 08:41:53 PM »
Good news, the Robin Hardy film with Christopher Lee and Vanessa Redgrave sounds like a go. They've got a new title: May Day (previously known as Riding of the Laddie), but the rest sounds the same.

http://www.killermovies.com/w/thewickerman/articles/3289.html
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re:OT--Wicker Man film is a go!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 03:28:37 PM »
Thank you for posting this, Luciaphil.  I am excited by this project.  Today's Pagan community is divided on evaluations of the original Wicker man.  Some regard it as a blasphemous caricature of Pagan spirituality; others regard it as a fascinating artistic exploration of light and dark aspects of surviving Neolithic religions in a modern context.  I saw the restored DVD a few months ago, and was impressed by it.  As I see it, the point of the original film was a critique of "varieties of religious experience" and the role of religion in human social life.  I really loved the music, especially the Maypole song.  There's an interesting new book out by British scholar Miranda Green, Dying for the God, about human sacrifice amongst the Celtic peoples.  It is very difficult to document the practices, role, and beliefs around human sacrifice. Green points out that the Roman writers, who were so critical of the "barbarism" of Druid sacrifices, had their own skeletons rattling around in their closets on this issue.  In the Wicker Man, Robin Hardy makes a similar kind of statement by presenting the *symbolic* sacrifice of the Mass at the beginning of the film, counterpointed with terrible irony by the literal sacrifice at the end.

Having said all that, "May Day" could be just plain awful, but I'm hoping it will be done with wit and intelligence.  There was talk of Ewan Macgregor participating in it.  He would look beautiful clad in nothing but a stag-horn headdress.  sigh.

G.

David

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 09:07:59 AM »
Instead of yet ANOTHER Hollywood remake, why not just remaster the brilliant original film & give it the theatrical run it deserves but never had?

The director's cut, of course!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 01:35:03 AM »
My understanding was that this film that I mentioned is not a Hollywood remake, but is being done by the original director and that Christopher Lee is still going to be involved--I thought it was to be more of a sequel.

Nicholas Cage, however, is slated to be in a remake of The Wicker Man, for which I have no hopes.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga