Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0495  (Read 1521 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0495
« on: July 07, 2013, 03:02:52 PM »
Robservation #495

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0495

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 03:25:47 PM »
I noticed something consciously for the first time with this episode that I'd noticed unconsciously all along... that Louis Edmonds has horizontal skin ripples or wrinkles on the sides of his head.   It's as if his scalp is a size too big for his skull.

I kind of like it when they let David philosophize a little bit about being a kid, and interacting with adults.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 11:37:42 PM »
Nice opening still of the Great House – no hint of 200 + years of horror and despair. Barn brings a captive, lonely & miserable Adam his supper. Adam speaks Barn’s name much to Barn’s delight, which in turn delights Adam. After Barn leaves, a distraught Adam breaks free and escapes the Old House. Meanwhile at the Great House, David and Roger chat in the foyer. We learn that David is now fond of Cassandra and has no memory of disliking her, this much to Roger’s confusion but much more importantly, his approval. Enter Barnabas looking for Julia. David runs out to play with the new pocketknife Cass bought him earlier. An icy Roger informs him that Julia is out and Liz is on her way to the Old House. Roger stops Barn from going after Liz so they can discuss a matter of discourse between them – Cassandra. Roger insists upon civility and Barn acquiesces to placate him. On the path to the Old House, Liz comes across Adam, scolds him as a trespasser, then sees his chain & shackle and flees to the Great House in fear. Liz tells Barn & Roger of her terrorizing encounter. Concerned for his son, Roger retrieves a gun and takes Barn into the woods to search for David. Meanwhile, Adam comes upon David as he plays with his pocketknife. David is friendly toward Adam and the two ‘play’ together until ownership of the knife comes into question – during the melee David twists his ankle and Adam picks him up to alleviate his pain but this freaks David out. David’s panicked shouts gain the attention of R&B and they find the boy. Rootin’ tootin’ Roger aims his gun at Adam but Barn is able to talk Adam into putting David down. Then in a moment of fear and confusion, Roger shoots Adam in the shoulder and Adam runs back to the Old House (with a determined Roger, a limping David & a concerned Barn all in hot pursuit) and takes to his cell wallowing in pain.

Afterthoughts: Adam’s a totally sympathetic – and dare I say, likeable character. Barn & Roger’s conversation – Barn pulls the ‘Liz’ card and Roger states that Liz hates rudeness more than he does. Loved it. I’ll give partial credit to the prop guys for making Adam look eight feet tall, they hid the rise very well but shrubbery continually blocking his feet would have made the effect so much better. Maybe the stage director is to blame for that. Frid is still coming across as quite unrehearsed to me. I am guessing that maybe he was doing a lot of promo work at this time. His Barnabas ‘look’ is very familiar as is seen in hoards of promo photos I seem to recall and I know the show is becoming a national phenomenon about this time. Well, that’s my theory anyway. Bennett looks great – I love that color green. Every time I see Roger now I am analyzing him per Magnus’s comments of late. I think the writers are doing a good job balancing the old Roger with the new Roger. I miss the entertainment value of the old Roger but I do take comfort in the new and improved Roger, especially since I’ve experienced JLM’s Roger in Shadows ‘12. BTW, I thought it was an interesting choice to have David run into Barn’s arms instead of his father’s. I guess this left Roger free to shoot Adam. And there’s nothing like terror to make you forget you’ve sprained your ankle, lol. Barn & Liz & Roger in the foyer took on the ambience of a Three Stooges skit to me. Not that is was funny or inane – it was just the rapid-fire delivery. (Still, I did crack up though.)

L: “But Barnabas, wait! He said your name!”
B: “My name?”
L: “He had a shackle around his ankle with a broken chain!”
R: “What?!”
L: “It’s true!”
R: “David!”
L: “Where is he?!”
R: “He’s Out playing in the woods!”
B: “Well, we must find him!
R: “I’ll get my gun!”
B: “Is that necessary?!”
R: “Well if he had a chain there must be a reason!” (This is where I laughed out loud)
L: “But if Barnabas knows him!”
B: “Elizabeth!” (This is where I hit the floor)
L: “Well, why did he say your name?!”
B: “Well, we’ll have to find that out!” (And now I’m rolling)

In a skit, I would have Liz announce, “I’ll make tea!” as the men left to find David. Today’s blooper: Adam knocking over the shrub, lol. Today’s ending credits are ‘fade and roll’.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 04:00:23 PM »
David is enjoying himself playing mumbly-peg with the new knife Cassangelique bought for him. Being patriotic, he’s humming the final strain of _The Stars and Strips Forever_ when he hears someone else trying to hum and suddenly realizes he isn't alone. Possibly because of the security of generations of wealth and (in)breeding, or maybe simply because he’s just a little boy, he is initially fearless, only curious about this stranger. David tells him, I like that song too. Why don’t you come out where I can see you. When Adam does (he knocks over a bush), the ingenuous David can't help observing, Wow! You're tall! When it becomes clear that Adam can’t speak, David concludes, You must be a foreigner. I’m glad you can't speak English, he says expansively. I’ve gotten pretty tired of people asking me questions all the time. He shows Adam his new knife, but doesn’t realize he’s dealing with the world's largest toddler.

Adam grabs the knife but David doesn't let go, so he gets hurt when Adam picks him up along with the knife. Adam doesn't realize what he's doing and drops David, who hurts his leg. Thinking to help him, Adam picks him up again but that only makes things worse, since David starts hollering to be set down. Roger and Barnabas finally hear his cries and rush to the scene. Roger waves his gun around, but Barnabas takes charge and eventually talks Adam into putting David down. When he does (clumsily but not ungently), David rushes right to Barnabas (apparently having forgotten all those nightmares about coffins). Roger is amazed at Barnabas's apparent power over this strange creature. But when Adam tries to come closer, Roger shoots and wings him in the shoulder. He shambles off howling, while the other three follow.

Adam finally makes it back to the only "home" he knows. Clutching his shoulder and moaning in pain, he collapses onto the cot....

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 01:34:24 AM »
Barnabas' interaction with Adam reminds me of training a dog. Cassandra buys David a knife which was a big deal and lots of fun back in those days. How sad that the only home Adam knows is a windowless cell in a basement that has no heat or electricity.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 03:27:57 PM »
It's very sad. Barnabas and Julia's idea of parenting is shameful. It's interesting that the writers decided to show them in such a bad light. I've always wondered why.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »
What were their other options?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 03:55:34 PM »
That was a great post, Dom, with the transcription of that scene.  I agree that the writing really goes off the cliff with these episodes.  Soooo bad.

G.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 05:16:20 AM »
I've been noticing how often Barnabas, Julia and Willie turn their backs on Adam. In fact, their whole behavior towards Adam is self-defeating and erratic. And, really, nothing but a skimpy little bowl of soup for a growing boy like Adam? And why feed him something that requires the use of a spoon at this early stage in the game? It seems a bit unnecessary to be instructing him in table manners at this point. I keep imagining scenes from "My Fair Lady," with Barnabas as Henry Higgins, teaching Adam to drink tea with a lifted pinky, walk around with a book on his head, and recite catchy little ditties about weather phenomena in Collinsport.

David has certainly gotten over his fear of Barnabas, even though the mystery of the coffin in the basement was never really resolved to his - or our - satisfaction.

Gotta give that Roger credit. Generally so urbane and stuffy, he really kicks into bad-ass action-hero mode when the situation calls for it!

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 01:50:21 PM »
Stokes probably used the Higgin's routine, lol. And yes, Roger does have his moments. I wonder how concerted the efforts were to make him likable and whether or not Louie spearheaded the effort. It is probably just the natural progression of the character. As Magnus has pointed out, Roger changes but never really lets go of the snobbery and pompousness - which I think is a pretty real portrayal of anyone. People don't really change they just change their behavior. (My words not Magnus'). And we can't take for granted that Roger has never stepped up before - we've just never seen it.

Just musing really.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 09:26:02 AM »
(Said here because sending PMs here doesn't work for my computer... Thanks for inquiring after me, dom.  I didn't know that was long enough for a disappearance, but I lose track of time.  All other sites require my new-used computer, while this older one is the only one I can view DS Forums on.  So I guess I delayed doing all the unplugging and replugging, which I normally do each day once or twice.  I'm more half-delirious than usual, too... )

Stokes probably used the Higgin's routine, lol.

Thought that too.  As for Roger, people change but don't transform.  Whatever one turns into is based partly on who you are already, as a starting point, because you're the only personality you actually know.  However we change, our starting point is always there in us.  I think.

I always like it when a Louis Edmonds character takes some physical action.  Roger doesn't so much, but he likes guns and pulled one on Burke (in a jealous rage over a woman he was divorcing without a bit of regret, but I think the writers were high that day). 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor