Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0494  (Read 1256 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0494
« on: July 05, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »
Robservations #494

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0494

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 06:12:32 PM »
Willie discovers that he and Adam have something in common after all--a love of bright, shiny objects. Whether this elevates Willie to Adam's level or lowers Adam to Willie's is not made clear, but Willie counts the bricks in the wall, then pushes one (as Sarah showed Maggie long ago, allowing her to escape). The whole wall swings open to reveal Barnabas's means of support--a cache of jewels. Willie picks out a small box and tells Adam, These were Josette's. They’re my favorites. Willie gives them to Adam to play with but takes Josette's emerald and diamond earrings. He reminisces, I once saw her wear them--well, anyway, this girl Maggie who looked just like Josette. When I saw her coming down the stairs toward me, it made me feel like I'd never felt before. I helped her escape--well, kind of. I wish Maggie wasn't scared of me because I'd sure like to get that feeling back, but now I never have a chance to be near her.

Later on, though, when Julia returns, Adam strongly hints that he would like to play with the jewels again, but Willie seems reluctant to take them out in Julia's presence. She must know about them, but Barn may have told Willie not to show her. 

Later, Julia brings the tape recorder and turns it on before she and Willie leave. Adam is captivated by the music, then listens in astonishment to Dr. Lang's famous warning--which almost no one else will ever hear. And no one is there when he reaches a developmental milestone and speaks his first word: "Barnabas."

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 03:39:51 AM »
Suit-Joe is terse and unlikeable.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 11:25:35 PM »
The opening scene suggests that time has passed into days. Willie brings a still restrained Adam supper. Adams knocks the tray out of Willie’s hand and Willie flees in terror. Julia arrives and discusses Adams ‘care’ but Willie wants no part of this scenario and suggests going back to the sanatorium until things get back to normal but (a rather nasty) Julia threatens him with life at the sanitarium to keep him where she wants him. Julia leaves to get more food for Adam and Willie decides that since Adam likes shiny things that he will dip into the Collins family jewels hidden behind a wall in the cell to placate Adam and endear himself. While doing so, Willie recalls his affection for Maggie and decides to give her a pair of Josette’s earrings that she wore while captive at the Old House and splits to Maggie’s. While Joe & Maggie ready for a date, Willie slips into the cottage and drops the earrings into Maggie’s purse and hie-tails it out of there seconds before Joe and Maggie reenter the studio. When Willie makes it back to Adam, Julia is there waiting and scolds him for leaving. Julia leaves threatening to return periodically to ensure Willie remains with Adam. Adam immediately wants to plays with the jewels again but Willie can’t accommodate Adam’s request for fear of Julia returning and busting them. Back at the Evans cottage, Maggie has lost her house keys. After a fruitless search Joe suggests Maggie look in her purse – and she finds the keys - and Josette’s earrings. The ‘mysteriously appearing’ earrings become the new focal point of their conversation with Maggie feeling drawn to them. Joe gets jealous and worried that he might not be able to accommodate his girl’s unprecedented like of fine jewelry. Maggie catches on and placates him, but even so, is still irresistibly, if not hypnotically drawn to them. Back at the Old House, unable to understand that now is not the time to play with the jewels, Adam tries to force Willie to comply and Willie backs himself into a corner to escape Adam’s clutches. Julia returns to this chaotic scene and tries to talk Adam down but he cannot be calmed so a terrified Willie suggests Julia give him her necklace because Adam becomes transfixed with shiny things. Julia complies and Adam calms down. Outside the cell, Julia sets up the battery-powered tape recorder she's brought with her – to play music for Adam – in hopes of keeping him calm and perhaps develop his senses and even hopefully, his intelligence. This is Lang's music tape and Jules turns it on and she and Willie leave the basement. Adam hears the music and comes to the cell window to listen – then Lang's dying message to Julia plays - and upon hearing the name ‘Barnabas’, Adam sounds out the name Bar-Na-Bas and smiles.

Afterthoughts: Good goddess! Is Julia a nasty mofo with Willie in this episode or what? Jeez, I don’t recall her ever being like this. Hall didn’t even pull it off which made it that more disappointing for me. Yuck. Who’s to blame the actress or the director? More mirror magic, this time with Maggie who looked beautiful, even without the earrings. Willie was never portrayed a genius but he seems to have been dumbed down a bit and I’ve decided for myself that Willie has changed and is worse for the wear; Poor Willie. Cute sexual innuendo between Joe & Maggie:

Mags: “Oh, Boy, that’s the last time I trust you!” Joe (taking her arms in his hands): “Oh?” Mags: “I mean, with the dishes.”

Joe’s looking hunkier than usual, it may be the hairdo or perhaps he’s lost a pound or two. I was going to gripe that it is ludicrous that Jules is wearing that necklace and suit but I’d be taking for granted that she is doing nothing but tending to Barn and Adam, etc. though, I don’t know that it’s established that she is indeed doing anything other than tending to Barnabas and the Collins family’s needs. Is there more than one cell in the Old House basement? I seem to recall that Barn was in a cell (in 1795) that had no door, am I wrong? Maybe I am thinking of the goal cell Vicki was in?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 02:24:34 PM »
When Barn was in a cell in 1795, it was at the "New House," that is, Collinwood. Joshua had locked Ben up there. Barn went to see Ben, who knocked him out and escaped.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 12:37:22 AM »
Thanx for clearing that up.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 12:52:51 AM »
I always find this such an odd episode in terms of how Julia's character is written.  She's such a cold, bitter rhymes-with-stitch, especially to Willie, for whose care she had been technically responsible.

In her next episode, she's back to the more caring Julia we've come to know in the 1968 episodes.  I find this one an odd blip to say the least.

No one else has commented on this so I guess I'm in a small minority in finding the writing to be very discontinuous here.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 03:05:31 AM »
It wasn't surprising to me.   Barnabas is one thing, a confidant, love object, perceived equal, an exception.  She deals with him on the same level.  Willie is something completely different.   Doctors put up a front, to maintain their semi-God-like, always-in-control image even when they don't know what's going on.   Willie is a member of the public, and one she's responsible for, has authority over.   She's scared that everything she's doing is wrong and would get her right to practice taken away. if not arrested, so she's overcompensating, by putting on the image of the stern and proper doctor.   She's afraid Willie will leave, telling everything, so she'll pull out all stops to prevent this.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 03:28:25 AM »
Magnus, I understand where you're coming from, but my point is that Julia only acts this way in this one episode.  It's very different from the character has been established and how she behaves after this one episode.

I kind of wonder if this one might have been ghostwritten by a non staff writer.  I have a theory that it may have happened more often than we realize.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 08:43:02 AM »
It may have been an attitude she was "trying on" to get through a pivotal moment, then she never felt that attitude was really "her", or necessary, after that.  Willie stayed, so she could relax.   Or people in tight difficult circumstances thaw out toward each other, maybe pretty quickly iin their case.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 04:06:01 PM »
The idea that Maggie may be remembering could be a interesting plot now that Barnabas is free from he curse
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
In the past other members have commented about the difference in Julia. For example, in the Robservations topic for the ep, as well as the previous WP topic. There's even been mention of a fan circulated theory that perhaps Barnabas was actually intended to be in the ep, but for some reason Jonathan Frid was unavailable and Grayson Hall filled in and played Julia with Barnabas' lines. Her lines do ring more of Barnabas than they do of Julia. But the whole theory has remained complete speculation because unlike, say, when Joel Crothers/Joe took over for Mitchell Ryan/Burke when Ryan couldn't make it, there's never been any sort of proof that Hall actually did take over for Frid.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 05:03:35 PM »
Very interesting, and a totally reasonable unproven theory.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 02:27:51 AM »
She probably couldn't keep Willie in Wyndcliffe forever.  I think she pulled out her old professional icy demeanor from her early days on the show, to bluff Willie into staying.   I think this is how she sounds with patients.   

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 03:19:57 AM »
Thanks, MB!  After this reminder, I remember that the last time this episode was posted, you or somebody mooted this theory, that Jon had to skip the day's work at the last minute and Grayson may have stepped in and done more or less the Barnabas lines with very minor rewrites.

That makes a lot more sense than any other explanation I can think of.

Best, G.