Author Topic: A New View of Collinwood  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
A New View of Collinwood
« on: August 14, 2003, 02:54:00 AM »
I had no idea we were already about to embark on the saga of 1995 - Summer of 1970 - 1840 ... these three interconnected storylines are the highlight of the entire series, IMO.

And what a great way to begin it all with a new view of Collinwood during the opening voice over.  I hadn't remembered seeing this shot/angle of Collinwood at all.  Does anyone have any idea what area of the Carey mansion this is?

1995 is the most intense and unsettling sequence in the entire run of DS.  Electric performances enhance the tight script and dialogue ... I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to note that Joe Caldwell wrote the first episode of 1995, and according to the pomegranate program guide, he wrote one or two others as well, in addition to contributing to Summer of 1970 and 1840.

This is the most tragic of all storylines ... though also the most redemptive, by the time we reach the end of 1840.  The pervasive sense of evil hanging over Collinwood has never been greater or more perverse ...
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:A New View of Collinwood
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 05:14:09 AM »
I agree that the 1995/summer of '70/1840 trilogy, feature some of the most compelling and dramatic moments in the entire series. I can't wait for them to come out on DVD. However, Joe Caldwell had departed the show just a few episodes shy of 1840. Too bad Curtis couldn't have kept him longer. I guess the hectic pace of the show was too much for him.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 05:39:29 AM »
And what a great way to begin it all with a new view of Collinwood during the opening voice over.  I hadn't remembered seeing this shot/angle of Collinwood at all.  Does anyone have any idea what area of the Carey mansion this is?

It's shown twice to represent Collinwood in 1970 PT:

You're seeing the familiar (back) side of CW with a view of the tower from the right side of the mansion.  What I'm sure confused you is that the image is backwards.  Those are the steps Vicki walked down as she headed toward the beach in an early episode.

I'm in total agreement with you that 1995, short as it is, is perhaps the eeriest of all the storylines and contains some of the series' most powerful moments.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 06:51:58 AM »
1995 is the most intense and unsettling sequence in the entire run of DS.  Electric performances enhance the tight script and dialogue ...

I thoroughly agree, Vlad!  The 1995 storyline held me spellbound when I first saw it.  At that time, Sci-Fi was rationing DS at one episode a day, so that really increased the suspense and gave me something to look forward to each day.  These are definitely among the eeriest and best acted episodes of the show.  I would even call them wrenching; considering what we know of the characters involved from the last four years of the show, it's pathetic to see the state to which some of them have been reduced.

[spoiler]I have to keep reminding myself that the Quentin who curls up in a fetal postion in Barnabas's easy chair is the same brash devil who once tried to strangle his own grandmother.  What a transformation![/spoiler]

I remember the discussion of the opening shot of Collinwood from the last time this sequence aired.  I believe it was mentioned then that the image was reversed accidentally, and remained so for the duration of 1995.  Intentional or not, I think it's highly indicative of the storyline itself: everything in 1995 is unexpected, jarring.  Everything is topsy-turvy.  Everything is wrong.  Little details like this really enhance the mood, IMO.

ProfStokes

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 04:53:20 PM »
 ;D :o :o :o Hi, Vlad i too thought it was the stairs Vicki
walked down. Nice shot of CollinWood.
I don't think i re call seeing that scene of
the manison.
                  Love Anne ;) ;) ;D
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2003, 03:54:05 AM »
Thanks for the replies and info!   :)

Doombuggy, Joe Caldwell is listed as writer for at least a couple of episodes in the 1840 storyline in the Program Guide from Pomegranate Press.

My cable company struck again -- they disconnected my service this morning (actually around midnight last night, I think) instead of Aug. 25, when I'm moving.  Despite my phone calls in the early morning hours I couldn't get the service restored until this afternoon.  So I missed today's 1995 eps.  I still remember, though, how the ghost of Gerard was lit in green light at the top of the episode (though he wasn't at the end of the previous ep).

I believe the director was taking a cue from Hitchcock, who borrowed the spooky green glowing light technique from a vaudeville stage convention of lighting ghosts with green light.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 05:45:58 AM »
I, for one, am so relieved to be rid of the 1995 drama! Looking at Collinwood that way was giving me nightmares!  It was horrible.  I dont remember seeing this way back when so this was my first time viewing this horror show.  Hopefully Barn & Julia will save the day so Collinwood doesn't end up like that again!!!

Deb