Author Topic: OT<F. Lang/Ministry of Fear  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
OT<F. Lang/Ministry of Fear
« on: July 01, 2013, 09:54:11 PM »
In the vein of Fritz Lang....
Since hearing about Doctor Mabuse, I've been Amazoning and/or IMDbing; I've learned Fritz Lang was one of the 'best' directors of D.M.
I went to Amazon, while trying to see when DM would come out; a recommendation was "Ministry of Fear".
It stars the wonderful Ray Milland (I genuinely love him!), so I ordered it.

Just watched it this weekend...ehh...okayish.

Very good cinematography, lighting, all this production side, and, as I mentioned, Ray Milland. The rest is sort of 'eh-ish'.

I did however watch the commentary at the end. One of the few quicky-shots was of Doctor Mabuse (just the title, not any movie part). The commentary was I believe by Joe McAllreny (sp).

He mentioned "The Man Who Knew Too Much" and "M" (a movie I've heard about, but never had a chance too see).

He also contrasted/compared Lang to Hitchcock...that was intersting.
I believe I only paid about $4-$5 + the standard $3.99 S&H; is worth that, but IMHO, not more.

If anyone really wants to borrow it, just shoot me a PM & we'll work something out.

Glad I got to see Ray Milland!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: OT<F. Lang/Ministry of Fear
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Patti--you might be interested to learn that Fritz Lang became very fond of Joan Bennett when they were working together in the 1940s (although I think there were days when they practically detested one another).  I don't know if it was Lang who coined the nickname "Lazy-legs" because Joan did not like standing for very long, but that was how he would often address her on set.

They made, I think, three films together, the best of which is usually considered to be Scarlet Street.  The third one, called I think "The Secret Behind the Door," also stars Natalie Schafer (future alumna of Gilligan's Island) and has a plot that could have been a storyline on DS (and has a very moody DS like atmosphere).

Presumably because he wanted to see Joan, Fritz Lang came to visit the DS set one day.  It is said that he made some lighting suggestions which were immediately utilized.

There's a lot more to say about Fritz Lang.  Some would say that he invented the modern science fiction film with Metropolis.  A couple of years ago I was able to see a 1963 French New Wave film in which Lang appeared playing himself.  Jack Palance was in it too.  Of course Jack Palance went on to become involved in other Dan Curtis projects.

In summary, there are a lot of connections between Fritz Lang and the world of Dark Shadows.

Best,

Steve

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
"The Secret Behind the Door" sounded so good, I immediately went to Amazon.
The closest I could get was a VHS of it; wonder why no DVD...?
Thanks for the info...and I never knew F Lang went to the set of Dark Shadows!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 02:34:52 AM »
I saw the movie on a videotape from the library about ten years ago.  I'm surprised it's never been released on DVD but there are so many excellent films from the past that have been neglected in that regard.

This four and a half minute clip gives you a good taste for the film and its foreshadowings of DS:  sealed rooms, unattended for years, thrown open to reveal barrages of brightly burning candles; long sinister soliloquies from a troubled protagonist; a flawlessly gowned and coiffed Joan Bennett, eyes widening in mute horror; and one of the rooms even has a set design reminiscent of the Collinwood basement.  Natalie Schafer can be seen but only has one or two lines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvJRjPPQhhI

Best,

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 07:23:37 PM »
What a Woman!

David

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 10:31:58 PM »
Be sure to check out Lang's Scarlet Street with our Joan: her best work ever. She was sexy as hell in it!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 09:19:05 PM »
....I have no 'sales resistance'...yes, I just went to Amazon & bought it AND posted it on 'phasebook' (love that name!!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »
Quote from: IMDB
Did You Know?
Trivia
Director Fritz Lang and the three of the stars (Edward G. Robinson Joan Bennett and Dan Duryea) also made the similarly themed The Woman in the Window.

Sounds veddy interesting..

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 11:34:13 PM »
Secret Behind the Door just arrived.
I don't have the case on me now, but I must copy the first 2-3 lines off the back....

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
Well, I just watched, "Secret Behind Door".
Umm...
well,,,,
IMHO....
not good.

We know the Bennetts can act. We've all seen it multiple times.

Also, in above, I L O V E Ray Milland, but, "Ministry of Fear", again, not so good.

umm...hope I don't get too many 'cures'....but I wouldn't recommend this movie, nor Ministry of Fear, to anyone. :(

Patti

BTW...there were no *extras* at end (like there were on "Ministry of Fear")
What a Woman!