Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0482  (Read 1167 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0482
« on: June 19, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »
Robservations #482

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0482

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:08:48 PM »
Lang searches his desk for the talisman. As Barn feared, it’s gone. (Barn’s working three major shark tooth bangs – fabulous). It appears as though Willie is returning soon as Barn suggests him to Lang as a replacement for the departing JC (Julia erased his tape evidently). KLS looks nice. Love the wig – hate the quilted look of the dress though it is beautifully colored. JC arrives with suitcase to move into the Evan’s cottage. Maggie is weirded out at the sight of him because of his being in her Dream Curse dream. Maggie delivers the Dream Curse to him. Vicki comes over and scolds JC for not showing up last night and the conversation eventually leads JC to another round of vague memories of being Peter Bradford – this time triggered by Vicki’s zodiac charm bracelet and the mention of Trask. Later, JC falls asleep and has ‘the dream’ – this time a second door is opened revealing a guillotine.

Afterthoughts: Good tape quality. Hate JC’s jacket (I don’t know what a suit jacket is called that is not part of a matching suit. Is it still a suit jacket? Or is that what is called a sports jacket or sports coat? Definitely not a blazer, right?) I’m surprised the character even wears a jacket and tie. Anyone think Davis is ad-libbing at all? His comment about his being at the cottage only 15 minutes and already telling Maggie who’s at the door seemed like an ad-lib to me – maybe it’s just his delivery. I hate to say it, but it is somewhat refreshing. As a young fan during the original run I always felt Davis had a ‘natural’ acting style and it is what I liked about him – youth & innocence had it’s advantages. Lol, at a ‘cranky’ Vicki. Some of the writing was slightly ridiculous. Why Lang didn’t have Jules remove all of JC’s memories of working on the experiment, I’ll never know.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:43:04 AM »
Well, I never thought of that dom, so I'm not surprised Lang didn't.   **  Lang has NO concerns about his new assistant having been committed for being criminally insane!  Maybe people should put that on the resume, when they apply to him for a job!

It was nice and comforting seeing the old Evans living room again.  No Pop, nor any mention of him.   I really like Maggie's colorful quilt dress.   Sometimes style or subtlety are sort of irrelevant.  It's colorful and cheers me up.   She looks good all over, hair, velour top... was she red-headed before?   Is the railing by the front door new?

Dream #2 happens.  The only good thing about #1, the violent wind, doesn't happen.   Lang's repetitive beckoning arm motion is creepy, though.   Oooh, scary tiny skull on a stick, plus Josette's music box theme, which now has no relevance whatsoever.   Baby guillotine with no one in it.   About as scary as a Veg-O-Matic.

Clark never looks good, for the same exact reason Ned Stuart never does.   No, I'm not taking issue with the man's face.  It's that he's wearing the generic male "uniform", standard collared shirt usually unbuttoned one button down, standard jacket with lapels (don't know if it can be called a suit jacket, probably a sports coat being lighter-colored...?), pants of course, with standard short parted-on-side hair.

In these times, in this society, men think they're being individuals by wearing the uniform, but with color variations.   You might as well claim the crew members on Star Trek are being individuals by wearing uniforms with three different colors.

I hate the male uniform, but I don't take issue with anyone who likes it.  I've taken grief from people for not wanting to join in and put the uniform on and blend in, though, so my problem is that it's so damn ubiquitous, and required, even if you don't like it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 08:39:10 PM »
I think that quilted thing that Maggie is wearing is actually hostess pants, as they were called back then. And no, I didn't have any (luckily).

Smoke/fog/mist/whatever from the Room of Doors drifts into the Evans living room. No wonder Jeff is startled when he wakes up.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 08:48:17 PM »
Smoke/fog/mist/whatever from the Room of Doors drifts into the Evans living room. No wonder Jeff is startled when he wakes up.

I totally missed that!   I'll bet it happens some more-- I'll be keeping an eye out.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 06:48:55 AM »
I recall that the talisman is Stokes. Will he ever want it back.  The pants quilt is really a nightmare. Maggie tells hers to the living nightmare. The quilt and Jeff are not meant for large screen viewing.  The DVD ends with Lela Swift and she is really interesting. Joan brought Fritz Lang to the show and he watched every day.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 02:57:58 PM »
Fritz Lang???!!!! Wow, that's AWESOME!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 02:54:17 AM »
Fritz Lang???!!!! Wow, that's AWESOME!

It is.   

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 06:41:14 AM »
For all the times when Roger Davis can be screechy and over-the-top, there ARE times when he can be effective. I think he's really good in the late night scene with Maggie - just two pleasant, likable people having a quiet, thoughtful conversation. It's a nice off-the-cuff moment, a bit of an oasis amid all the surrounding chaos.

I do wonder if Jeff thought he might have jumped straight from the fire into the frying pan, going from a mental institution to the home of a total stranger who likely sounds more unhinged than the people he interacted with there.