Author Topic: #1056/1057: Robservations 08/08/03: More Death; A Near-Miss Rescue  (Read 1407 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
1056 - Quentin walks through the woods, furtively looking around to make sure he isn't followed.

In other parts of Collinsport, different dramas are being played out: In Angelique's room, a spell-transfixed Maggie sits waiting, ready to shoot Quentin. Down in the Loomis basement, Claude is entreating Roxanne to speak. In the drawing room at Collinwood, Barnabas tries desperately to convince Angelique to sign a confession exonerating Quentin.

Quentin enters the room where Maggie awaits him.

Maggie, no! cries Quentin, as his bewitched wife extends her arm, ready to shoot.

Roxanne, you can speak, you WILL speak, orders Claude urgently. Roxanne says, "I can speak."

Angelique emits a piercing scream and falls to the floor at Barnabas' feet.
Maggie, too, screams and faints.

Barnabas kneels to take Angelique's pulse--she is dead. He rises and, looking sad and beaten, picks up the phone in the foyer and calls Inspector Hamilton--Alexis Stokes is dead, he reveals, just a moment ago. . .come here first--I'll be waiting for you.

On the landing, Quentin, who has overheard Barnabas' conversation, numbly repeats, "Alexis is dead." You'd better come down here, advises Barnabas, it's time you heard the whole truth. How did she die? asks Quentin--Maggie caused it, didn't she? You are completely wrong about Maggie, says Barnabas. Oh, am I? demands Quentin--Barnabas, Maggie just tried to kill me, in Angelique's room--she had a gun pointed at my heart. And suddenly, says Barn, at the last moment, she fell to the floor unconscious. Yes, how do you know? asks Quentin. So that was her last act, says Barnabas--she knew she was going to die, so she devised a way for you to go with her--Maggie pointed that gun at you because she was put under a spell by Angelique. Are you crazy? asks Quentin--Angelique is dead! Yes, she's dead, finally, says Barn, at least there will be no more murders--come into the drawing room. Quentin kneels down by the body, calling her Alexis. No, that wasn't Alexis, says Barnabas, she was Angelique. Impossible, says Quentin.  She always said she'd return from the grave, says Barnabas, and she did, with the help of her father and one other person. How can anyone bring the dead back to life? asks Quentin. I don't know exactly how he accomplished it, says Barnabas, but he did have a victim--her name was Roxanne, a young girl, and he successfully transferred her life force into Angelique's body. I don't believe it, insists Quentin, I opened Angelique's tomb, I saw that she was dead. Yes, you saw the body six months after, and it was perfectly preserved, says Barnabas. I destroyed the body! shouts Quentin--I saw it burn. After Angelique changed places with Alexis, explains Barnabas. Quentin gazes at him, disbelieving--are you telling me that I destroyed Alexis? Yes! cries Barn. Oh my God, says Quentin. I tried to make her sign a confession that she killed Bruno, but she refused, says Barnabas. Angelique, says Quentin--I find this all so hard to believe. You've GOT to believe it, it's true, says Barn. Now that she's gone, says Quentin, I have no way to prove I didn't kill Bruno. We can find the proof if we can find Julia Hoffman, says Barnabas--she knew that Angelique killed Bruno, she may be our only hope--now where did you leave Maggie? In Angelique's room, says Quentin.  Go to her, says Barnabas, leave me here, the Inspector will be here shortly, let me handle everything. Quentin goes upstairs.

The Inspector kneels down to inspect Angelique and asks Barnabas, do you know what caused her death?
Yes, I do, says Barnabas, sounding as if he's lifting up a heavy burden. Don't keep me in suspense, says Hamilton. You'd better sit down, advises Barnabas, I'll tell you the whole story from beginning to end. Hamilton sits.

Back in the Loomis House basement, Claude says, Roxanne I'll never let you go again--come with me now. No, she replies. We can't stay here, he insists. I still feel very weak, she protests, I don't think I can walk far. I'll help you, he promises. She smiles at him--can we wait just a little longer? she asks. We've already waited too long, North insists, I should never have made that arrangement with Stokes.  But you did make it, she says. And regretted it ever since, he assures her--my life hasn't been the same without you, we belong together, and I'm going to take you with me, now. No, not yet, please, she begs. It isn't that you're too weak to go with me, he accuses--you don't want to go--you want to stay here!  It's true, she says, because I know HE'LL come back.  Barnabas?--he means nothing to you, says Claude. He was kind and good to me, she says, even though I was unable to communicate with him, I could hear him when he spoke to me, and the things he said--that he wanted to know me as I really am. Claude puts his hands on her shoulders--there is only one man who knows you as you really are, he says--"and I am that man!"  He presses his lips into her hair and says, "I love you and you love me."  She doesn't seem pleased. I love him in a way I didn't think was possible, she confesses. You don't even know this man! he explodes. I feel as though I've known him for all of time, she says. Yes, I believe you do feel that way, he admits, your mind belongs to no time or place--its powers are unique, but that doesn't mean I'm going to surrender you. But you must, she insists, I haven't changed the way I feel about you.  And you never will! he says.  Don't you see? she asks, it can never be the same for us--even Barnabas himself doesn't realize how much he's changed my life. We aren't staying here a moment longer, says Claude, you're coming with me. She pulls away from him--no, I won't do it. YOU'RE COMING WITH ME! he insists, grabbing her by the arms--look at me! Don't do it to me, please, she begs, but he forces her to face him and looks into her eyes, ordering, keep looking at me--"We are going to be together," he says--and you are going to forget Barnabas Collins...

And tonight, explains Barnabas to Inspector Hamilton, Claude North finally got Roxanne to speak. I see, says Hamilton, rising from the chair--he merely got her to speak, and when he did, this woman just fell down and died. Yes, that is correct, says Barnabas, feeling the Inspector's disbelief washing over him. The entire story is preposterous, insists Hamilton--black magic, people returning from the dead--I don't know how you expect me to believe a word of it. I know how it sounds, says Barnabas, but every word of it is true. As far as I'm concerned, the search for Quentin will go on, insists Hamilton--I see no evidence whatsoever that he didn't kill Bruno Hess--and who knows how many of the other deaths he may have been responsible for?  Come with me to the Loomis House, urges Barnabas--if Roxanne is there, I'm sure she will verify a very important part of my story--surely you have nothing to lose by doing that. Very well, agrees Hamilton, but first let me call the station. Barnabas surveys Angelique's still body lying on the floor.

Claude leads Roxanne through the woods. They hide when they hear Barnabas and Hamilton shuffling through the leaves, and come out when the two men have passed. Claude pushes Roxanne along.

Barnabas leads Hamilton down into the basement, but Roxanne is gone. Barnabas looks around for her, to no avail. Well, says Hamilton, where is this strange young woman you were telling me about? He must have taken her away from here, laments Barnabas. If she ever existed, sniffs  Hamilton. But she DID exist, insists Barn, why should I lie to you about this?--look around you--why do you think this equipment is here?--Julia got it so she could revive that girl. I'm a simple police inspector, says Hamilton, and must of necessity deal with things that are real--things that are unreal, I leave to the writers of fiction--as far as I'm concerned, the reality of this case is the increasing guilt of Quentin Collins. He leaves the basement; Barnabas follows.

Maggie now lies on the chaise in Angelique's room. Quentin kneels before her, gazing at her with love. She awakens and calls his name.  Don't be frightened, he urges. I'm not, she assures him she isn't--I know the truth.  He goes into her arms.  She hugs him fiercely--I was so wrong about you, she says--how can you ever forgive me? I should be asking the same thing of you, he says. What happened to us, why couldn't we trust each other? she asks. I don't know, he says, I look back now and see all the things I should have seen so clearly when they were happening. So should I, says Maggie, touching his face--do you know, I actually believed you'd killed Angelique and were about to kill me, and I didn't know until I found out that Roger killed her...  Roger? asks Quentin, stunned. Yes, says Maggie, that's how Carolyn and Elizabeth died, they found out, and he knew...  Quentin draws away from her embrace. God, he says, the poor man must have been insane. At least you don't have to worry that the police will blame you, she points out.  Somehow, that's small consolation, says Quentin, there's still the matter of Bruno. She stands and takes his arm, promising we'll find a way to prove you didn't do it--when we do, I hope we can find a way to start all over again, if you want to. As far as I'm concerned, he assures her, we're starting over again right now. She gazes up at him rapturously, smiles, and says, I love you very much. I love you, he says, and they kiss, hug. It will be different this time, says Maggie--I'll accept things this time I couldn't before. What are you talking about? he asks. I wanted to please you, she says, I wanted to recreate the impression the first Mrs. Collins did, to emulate her, to BE her for you, and I stopped being myself, I promise I won't do that again--I know now that there will never be another woman you love as much as Angelique. "As I loved Angelique?" he asks incredulously. Don't be angry, she begs. He shakes her, then says, I hated Angelique, hated the ground she walked on. Maggie, stunned, says, everything I heard, that people said...  Passionately, Quentin says, I hated everything Angelique was, did and believed in--we never had any one happy day together.  Quentin, says Maggie, I thought that... He interrupts: You never heard me say that I loved her, did you?  I thought it was your grief... she says. My grief was a lie, he assures her, I was only pretending because it was easier--any good thing that you heard about that woman was the result of a myth she created and nurtured every day she was alive--he gazes at Angelique's portrait--it's true that she was very beautiful to look at, he continues, but that's where the truth stopped--under that beautiful exterior was a very evil woman, a woman that used and manipulated people--a woman that was unfaithful--and oh, how she loved telling me she was unfaithful--she was a conniver and very sadistic person, and I hated her, Maggie!--I begged her for my freedom--she laughed, said I would never be free, I was her prisoner. Maggie listens sympathetically. Quentin continues
--she warned me if I tried to get free, she would cause the biggest scandal the family had ever known--I hated her--the night of the seance, I didn't know if I killed her or not, the only thing I knew was that I was just glad she was dead--but I was tormented by a guilt feeling about her death, convinced life was all over--then I met you, he says, cupping her face in his hands, and you were everything I ever wanted in a woman, everything she never was--and then I knew that I could start living all over again. We will start over again, she promises, start living again.  They kiss to seal the deal. Inspector Hamilton enters the room. "Mr. Collins," he says, I'm taking you in again."  No! protests Maggie. "And I can assure, you," says the Inspector, "that this time, there'll be no escaping. NO! Maggie cries again.

9:00 PM - Collinwood - Barnabas walks downstairs.  Maggie runs to meet him in the foyer.  I've searched every inch of the East and West wings, he says--no trace of Julia anywhere. We must find her--she can prove Quentin's innocence, insists Maggie--do you think there's any possibility Hoffman might be dead? There is that possibility, says Barn (and with mighty little sorrow, too), but I have a feeling from what Angelique inferred that she's still alive--the question is where. What about Roxanne? asks Maggie. I'm going to look for her now, says Barn. How do you know where to look for her? queries Maggie. Claude North, says Barn--he may have taken her to Stokes' house, I'll begin there. What happens if we can't find either of them? asks Maggie. Let's not think about that now, says Barn, we must remember we have to clear Quentin by finding Julia. Outside the front doors, Maggie stops him--I want to say thank you, for everything, she says--if Quentin is exonerated of this crime, you will be responsible. He doesn't respond, just nods and keeps going. Maggie closes the door, not looking in the least hopeful.

Barnabas, searching the woods, finds a body, a dagger sticking from its back--Claude North, dead, stabbed by his own dagger.
Where's Roxanne--is she dead, too? wonders Barnabas.

NOTES: Rarely has a character been given such a huge buildup on DS only to be done away with just a few episodes later. I guess it's why Claude North never struck me as much of a character--he came and went so quickly--another murder victim in this body-strewn storyline!

Ah ha! So, Rebecca-like, we now know Quentin HATED Angelique, he didn't love her like crazy, as Maggie assumed all this time. (His love letters, assuming the ones Maggie found were real and not trumped up by Angelique, seem to deny his claims to Maggie that he always hated his wife, don't they)? I always felt that if Quentin had been more honest with Maggie, told her his true feelings about his first wife, rather than letting her stew in her fears of inadequacy, this entire storyline might not have happened.

Who killed Claude North? Roxanne or someone else? The way he was pushing and pulling her around, hypnotizing her, etc., I can't blame her if she offed him herself. Not only did he sell her to Stokes to be used/abused a kinky experiment, he was awfully bossy with her! On the other hand, she sided with North instead of going with or at least agreeing with Barnabas, so one wonders whose side she really is on, and if she's even sure herself.

Wonderful suspense at the beginning as we see the three stories converging into one--Claude, Roxanne, Barnabas, Angelique, Quentin, Maggie--and now Quentin is back in Hamilton's custody and his only chance is Julia Hoffman--who Maggie apparently doesn't know is not the Hoffman she once wanted to fire.

One can understand Hamilton's incredulity regarding Barnabas' story about this whole business. It is pretty far-fetched, but Hamilton is a cop, and relies on facts--and to him, black magic is not.

We are soon to come to the end of this story, and if you're wondering who ends up alive, well, I won't spoil it by telling you. Next stop, the 1995 flashforward, followed by 1840, which has, IMHO, many wonderful moments.

When Maggie suggested Julia might be dead, Barnabas showed so little emotion, I was rather surprised. I realize he must pretend they are still dealing with Hoffman, rather than his Julia, but darn, show a little sadness in the eyes, Barnabas!

1057 - Stokes sits in his cottage, smoking and drinking, ignoring the knock at the door. Who is it? he finally asks.  When he hears "Barnabas Collins," he invites him in, looks up at him and accuses, you're determined to enjoy your cheap triumph to the fullest. Then you know about Angelique, says Barnabas. The police called me, says Stokes, told me she was dead. She was dead almost a year ago, amends Barnabas. She was alive, I made her live, says Stokes, will make her live again--so you can postpone your smug little celebration. I came here to be here when Insp. Hamilton arrives, says Barnabas. I have nothing to say to Hamilton, insists Stokes. I doubt it, says Barn, but he will want to ask you some questions concerning a certain murder. What murder? demands Stokes. The murder you committed tonight, says Barnabas. You don't know what you're talking about Stokes insists. I found the body tonight myself and phoned Inspector Hamilton, says Barnabas. May I ask whose body it was you found? asks Stokes. Why pretend? asks Barnabas, you know as well as I do that Claude North is dead!

You think I killed Claude North? asks Stokes--that's ridiculous!  Makes perfect sense to me, says Barnabas. No one had more admiration for his talents more than I did, says Stokes. And no one wanted Roxanne more than you, counters Barnabas. I have no further use for Roxanne, says Stokes. You told me yourself only a few moments ago that you wanted to see Angelique back to life again, says Barn. I managed to get Roxanne back from Claude North before without killing him, says Stokes--why should I kill him now? Because this time he refused to let you have her, says Barn. You've got it all figured out, haven't you? asks Stokes, taking a slug of his drink. Actually, says Barn, I didn't come here to prove whether you killed North or not, I'll leave that to Hamilton--I want to know where Roxanne is. Stokes holds onto his drink as if it's a lifeline, and points out, you didn't seem to have that much trouble locating her before. You know where she is, don't you? asks Barnabas. You're naive, says Stokes--do you really expect me to assist you in this matter.
I have ways of getting assistance, Barnabas assures him, and when it comes to a certain point, I won't hesitate to use them. I might find some of your ways most enlightening, says Stokes. They stare each other down. Hamilton arrives; Stokes invites him in--I've been expecting you. Hamilton apologizes for bothering him this time of night. I understand you're going to accuse me killing Claude North, says Stokes. I merely want to ask a few  questions, says Hamilton. I think you'd do better protecting people against the insane accusations of a madman like Barnabas Collins, here, says Stokes, and drinks some more. Perhaps, says Hamilton, that's why I'm here--Mr. Collins, I have your story, now I want to speak to Mr. Stokes alone, if you don't mind. Of course, agrees Barnabas--if we can find the girl, she'll be able to give us the answers we need. And with a disdainful glance at Stokes, Barnabas departs through the hanging bead door. Are you aware, Mr. Stokes, of what Barnabas told me was your role in the incidents happening at Collinwood?  Maniacal ravings, says Stokes, surely you don't take them seriously? Whether I do or not is beside the point, says Hamilton--I'm merely investigating a series of deaths. Did Barnabas tell you about the "life force" of the girl I kept in my storeroom back there? He mentioned it, says Hamilton. Stokes takes him into the room, which is now choked with furniture. Is this the room he told you about? queries Stokes, where I supposedly conducted all manner of mad experiments, transferring the life force of that girl into my daughter?  I suppose this is the room, says Hamilton. I want to cooperate, says Stokes, but I must refuse to participate in such obvious idiocies. I have to admit, says Hamilton, your daughter died in a very strange manner. She had a heart condition, says Stokes, we were always afraid something like this might happen. If that's the case, says Hamilton, it will show up in the autopsy. AUTOPSY? repeats Stokes, now very upset. It's mandatory in a case like this, says the inspector. As her father, says Stokes, I absolutely forbid it. You're in no position to do that, says Hamilton. I demand my daughter's body be returned to me immediately, insists Stokes. I wonder why something as routine as this disturbs you so much. My own daughter...an autopsy...surely you understand that, says Stokes. Possibly, says Hamilton. So you'll arrange to have her body brought back here ASAP? Stokes asks the cop. Her body will be brought back at the proper time, says Hamilton--I have a few questions. Of course, says Stokes, I'll cooperate in any way that I can--and turns off the light in the room where he had been keeping Roxanne.

Loomis House, Barnabas goes over blueprints, noting, this must be the secret panel behind that wall there--here's another secret room in the West Wing...but I've looked there...I've searched the cellars and the basement below that, if I could just find the plans for them, I'm sure there are secret passages, rooms she might be, a whole tangled labyrinth--I'm convinced she's somewhere there, but how do I find her?

In the room where she is being kept prisoner, Julia muses, I could hear someone if they were coming, and they could hear me if she called to them--but she hears nothing, and she's so tired, so very tired. . .but I must not fall asleep, I've got to stay awake, it's my only hope--"I've got to stay awake!"

Julia continues to pace her cell, assuring herself, if I keep moving, I can stay awake, then if I hear something...what was that? She rubs her neck. Maybe it's only Angelique to torment me again...no, it's nothing--but why isn't Barnabas looking for me? "Barnabas...Barnabas!" Nothing...no one.

In Angelique's room, her portrait overlooks Barnabas explaining to Hamilton--of course Stokes is opposed to an autopsy--it would mean and prove the woman who died was Angelique, and murdered initially by a hatpin, just as Dr. Longworth described--under no circumstances, insists  Barn, is the body to go back to Stokes. After the autopsy, I'd have no right to keep it, says Hamilton. If it did go back to him, he'd try to bring Angelique back again, warns Barnabas.  (but if it's all cut up in an autopsy?)  You'll forgive me, Mr. Collins, begins Hamilton. I know, says Barnabas, very difficult to believe, oh if I could only find Roxanne, or Julia--in this house, Inspector, is Julia Hoffman dead or alive?  He gazes over the blueprints, saying if I can find Julia, alive, she can testify that Angelique used a doll to murder Bruno, thus clearing Quentin--Roxanne, and Julia--I've got to find both of them, fast, before the body of Angelique is returned to Stokes!  He looks pensive.

Roxanne lies on a couch in a strange house--and is finally wearing clothes!  She hears someone coming and hides. It's Stokes, who says, I know you're there somewhere--I must speak to you, it's very important, for your sake--you must not be frightened, I won't hurt you...I've come to warn you...the police are looking for you--can you hear me?  She reluctantly exits her hiding place--I do hear you, she says. Why are you hiding? he asks, you know I'm your friend.  What do the police want with me? she asks. To question you, he says. But I've done nothing wrong, she says. I'm afraid the police might find that difficult to believe, he says. I was forced by you and Claude, she says. If I remember correctly, he says, you agreed because you'd do anything for Claude. I didn't agree freely and you know it, she says. I know nothing of the kind, he says, so you see, my dear, you'd better stay hidden here for a little while, anyway--I'll come and see you and bring you anything you want. Claude will see that I have what I want, she says. Sorry, says Stokes, Claude is dead.
Her face convulses with sorrow. Stabbed, in the back of course, says Stokes, and I suppose you know who did it. You! she accuses. Barnabas Collins, counters Stokes. Her mouth drops open in disbelief. Barnabas! she whispers. He claims to be the one who found the body, says Stokes, a rather transparent ruse if you ask me--he killed Claude because of his part in our experiment. No, says Roxanne. That troubles you doesn't it, notes Stokes--and I know why. You don't know anything, says Roxanne.  Claude told me about that oath you took, says Stokes. I didn't take it, says Roxanne. If anything happened to him...begins Stokes. No, I won't listen to you, says Roxanne, agitated. You don't need to, says Stokes, listen to your own voice, listen to yourself, taking that oath--can you hear it? No, she says, near tears. Look at me, commands Stokes, can you hear it now--do you remember now how you took that oath? Yes, I remember, she says miserably. Barnabas Collins killed Claude North, says Stokes--what are you going to do about it?

10:10 - Barnabas, on the foyer phone with Hamilton, requests, give me the results of the autopsy as soon as you get them. Of course, says Hamilton--I've been thinking about this girl, Roxanne, and Hoffman--it would certainly help if we could find them. I'm doing everything I can, says Barnabas, I showed you the plans of the basement, I'm going to get them now and start searching. I'd like to help, says Hamilton--I'm as anxious as you to get this all cleared up. I'd be very grateful, thank you, Inspector, says Barnabas, pleased, I'll see you right away.  The clock behind Hamilton says 6 o'clock. Barnabas goes upstairs. Roxanne enters Collinwood, looking around.  She carries the dagger in her hand.

Barnabas is going through the blueprints in Angelique's room again (I guess he isn't worried about being returned to RT). Roxanne enters. Why did you kill him? she asks Barnabas, who rises to his feet, delighted to see her. Are you referring to Claude North? he asks--I didn't kill him, Stokes did!  I don't believe you, says Roxanne--you killed him and you must die for it!  She holds up the dagger at stabbing height.  Barnabas recognizes it as the dagger he saw in the secret room--where did you get it? he asks.  It was Claude's, and mine, says Roxanne, it belonged to the two of us--it brought us together in a way no two people have been brought together before (so romantic)! He made me take a vow on it--that I would kill anyone who harmed him
--and I intend to keep that vow. Claude is dead, says Barnabas, and no longer has a hold over you, you are free. I made a promise, she says. He forced you to make it, says Barn, you didn't do it freely--you cannot hold to it any longer. I've GOT to, she insists, raising the dagger, but instead she drops it and begins to cry. Barnabas puts his hands on her shoulders--it's all right, he assures her. Am I free, really free? she asks. Yes, you are, he says. I don't know, it frightens me, she says, I'm lost without him!  There are others to comfort you, says Barn. No, I needed Claude, and he's dead, dead, she says. Sit down, he suggests.  I can't stay here anymore, insists Roxanne, I've got to go. I need your help, he pleads.  I can't help anyone, she says. Yes you can, he says, you can tell Hamilton exactly what you know. The police? she asks. Yes, says Barn, you must tell prove to them...  I can't talk to them, she objects, I wouldn't dare. You must--they won't hurt you, he assures her. I can't stay here any longer, she says, I must go--they couldn't keep me, I couldn't stand it!  She runs off.  Barnabas, begging, I need your help!, runs after her.

Later, in Collinwood's foyer, Hamilton, says, I don't understand how you could have let Roxanne get away from you--I thought I saw her in the woods, but it was just a mist in the trees--would you prefer to look for Roxanne or begin the search for Julia?  Julia, responds Barnabas (hurray!)--I have the basement plans here--come with me. You lead, I'll follow, says Hamilton.  The two men head through the kitchen entrance.

Don't go to sleep, Julia urges herself--please, I mustn't sleep, I must not!  She paces, then finally lies down on the cot, telling herself, I've got to stay awake!

The men come down into the basement, passing right by the secret shelf where Julia is hidden and fast falling asleep.

Julia dreams:  Barnabas' voice calls her, and Hamilton's--come in, Roxanne, bids Barnabas--don't be afraid, I'm here waiting for you. She smiles at him, asking, is this the room where the time warp happens?  Yes, he says, here in this room, we will go back to my own time--I will see where I am, where I belong--and you will be with me. She grins. Yes, she says, I'm not afraid when I'm with you--we will forget all the terrible things that have happened here, won't we?  Yes, he agrees, they'll be past and forgotten. Roxanne says, they won't even be a memory--Claude, Stokes, Angelique. Yes, says Barnabas, not even a memory.  He sits on the floor and she kneels with him--why do you look so sad? Roxanne asks. Because of Julia, he says. You've done everything you could to find her, she says. She's probably dead, he says sadly. But we won't forget her, will we? Roxanne assures him. No, never, he says. Would you rather stay here, in this time band? she asks. No, he says, it would make no difference if I did. Barnabas, I want so much to make you happy, she says, putting her arms around him.  You will, he says, and they kiss. In her sleep, Julia says no, Barnabas, please don't go I'm alive, I'm here, oh, Barnabas!
Barnabas and Hamilton call Julia's name, but she doesn't hear them. Hamilton points out, we've called Julia's name in every corner of this basement--she'd have heard us if she were here.  I guess she's not here, says Barnabas. We might find her someplace else, suggests Hamilton.  I'm beginning to doubt that, says Barn, losing hope.  They continue on, again passing by the bookshelf behind which Julia lies asleep. She awakens, remembering the dream, horrified--he wouldn't leave me here, he wouldn't!  She goes to the door and begins calling to Barnabas--I'm in here, she cries--"Find me, Barnabas, please find me!"

But Barnabas and Hamilton are long gone.

NOTES: Damn, damn, damn, so close and yet not close enough, they passed right by Julia at least twice that we saw, but she wasn't awake and didn't hear him. OK, confess, how many Julia-Barnabas fans grimaced when Roxanne and Barnabas kissed in the dream? Now that they have searched the basement, will they ever go back there again, or is Julia a goner? She must wonder what happened to Angelique, since she hasn't visited her in a while. It almost seems as if the witch is influencing Julia's lick from the grave. It was very frustrating to watch, wasn't it?

Great scenes between Stokes and Barnabas. They make excellent adversaries, and it's always a joy to watch them perform together.  Thayer has amazing range as an actor--can you believe he portrayed Ben Stokes in 1795, 1840 and here in 1970PT, as well as Petofi in 1897?

Donna Wandrey seems like a fledgling actress to me, pretty, but without much depth. She has the nicest complexion I've ever seen, so flawless!  Given what a pimply puss I had as a teen, I probably despised her--but I did get my hair cut like that!

There aren't many left in PT at this juncture. Who killed Claude?  Roxanne was too shocked hearing about his death for it to have been her, so I assume it was Stokes. He'll do anything to bring Angelique back, but how can he do it if she's carved up for an autopsy?

We will soon be ending our stint in 1970PT.

Love, Robin

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:#1056/1057: Robservations 08/08/03: More Death; A Near-Miss Rescue
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 05:22:22 PM »
I always felt that if Quentin had been more honest with Maggie, told her his true feelings about his first wife, rather than letting her stew in her fears of inadequacy, this entire storyline might not have happened.

Which is exactly why he couldn't.