Author Topic: #1052/1053: Robservations 08/06/03: Murderer Revealed; Julia Imprisoned  (Read 1355 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
1052 - Maggie struggles in her husband's grasp--stay away from me! she orders her husband--you were trying to choke her, just as you were in the dream!  Quentin denies it. She flees from bed, grabbing her robe along the way. Sobbing, calling for help, she runs from the room. Meeting  Barnabas in the hallway, she reveals, Quentin's in my room--he tried to choke me, to kill me! Barnabas immediately runs into the bedroom, calling to Quentin even as Maggie begs him not to go in.  Quentin, however, has exited through the now-open window. He's gone, Maggie, says Barnabas.  Don't go after him, please, begs Maggie. Are you sure he tried to choke you? asks Barnabas.  (rough caresses?)  Yes, she says, I was dreaming and felt hands on my throat in my dream--when I woke up, it was Quentin's hands on me!  I've tried so hard not to believe, says Barnabas sadly.
He's mad, she says--the look in his eyes, Quentin looking at me, it was horrible, he wanted to kill me, I'm sure of it. Barnabas looks as if he prefers not to believe this about Quentin, even now.

We see Angelique's portrait, then Angelique herself, who asks Julia, where is Barnabas right now?  Somewhere in the house, replies Julia.  Are you sure you've been following him everywhere he goes, as I told you to? asks Ang. Of course, every opportunity I get, says Julia. Why haven't we been able to discover his secret? demands Ang impatiently. I don't dare follow him too closely, says Julia--he has powers and I'm in terrible danger as it is. I don't know, says Ang, you really don't seem yourself these days--you were always famous for your efficiency. I do what I can, says Julia--I've been under a tremendous strain. Was it the strain you were under, asks Angelique, that caused you to completely forget, in your conversation with Inspector Hamilton, that his wife had been dead for three years, even though you yourself attended her funeral? Her hypnotic eyes bore into Julia, who responds, in a guarded tone--of course it was, what else could it be? I don't know, says Ang.  I promise to continue doing all I can for you, says Julia--as a matter of fact, I think I should be looking for Barnabas right now. Angelique agrees. Maggie races into the room to tell the other two women, I just saw Quentin in my room--I wanted to call the police, but Barnabas stopped me--Quentin tried to kill me!  Julia is stunned. Angelique, annoyed at Julia's odd response, reminds her, you have something to attend to. Maggie warns the departing Julia, be careful, then turns to Angelique and says, despite what Barnabas said, I want to call the police. What does Barnabas know about it? asks Ang. He wants to find Quentin himself, says Maggie, and talk to him, but I told him not to, it's too dangerous, but Barnabas is determined. He might have a point, Maggie, says Ang.  But you said yourself that Quentin was mad when he escaped from jail, Maggie reminds her. We still want to help him, don't we? asks Ang. How can we help him? wonders Maggie. I don't know, says Angelique, but if the police come here and search for him, they might shoot to kill--no matter what Quentin has become, you don't want your own husband killed, do you? No, admits Maggie. Go call the police, advises Angelique, if that's what you want to do. I don't know what to do, says Maggie. I think Quentin won't return to the house tonight, says Ang--he'll know we're all upset, on our guard, that we might have called the police--I thinks we're safe, now, anyway. Maggie isn't sure...

Drawing room, Julia asks Barnabas, did Quentin really mean to kill Maggie?  We must admit to the possibility, says Barnabas. It's hard to believe, says Julia.  He's as volatile as in our time, notes Barn, even more so, perhaps. Do you think Quentin might have murdered Angelique? asks Julia--"You do, don't you?"  Why are we trying so hard to help him? asks Julia. Even if he did kill Angelique, we can't allow her to destroy him, says Barn. (Guess he doesn't believe in an eye for an eye.) No man deserves that fate, says Barnabas. What can we do next? asks Julia. Find him, says Barnabas--I'm sure Angelique knows where he is. She won't tell anyone, even me, says Julia. Then follow her wherever she goes, says Barnabas. (Barnabas wants her to follow Angelique, while Angelique wants Julia to follow Barnabas. She's squarely, dangerously, in the middle!)  I think you should know, says Julia--Angelique suspects me--Hamilton told my mistress that I didn't remember his wife's death. Then perhaps you'd better give all this up and go back to our own time, he suggests. No, says Julia determinedly, giving him her "I love danger" look. The risk is too great, he insists. I'm all right for the moment, says Julia, but must be more careful than ever--besides, if I leave, there won't be anyone to protect you during the day. I'll have to take that chance, he says. Then I will take the same chance, too, she says. (a nice moment between them.) I will follow Angelique wherever she goes, decides Julia.

2:30 - Collinwood - Angelique comes downstairs. Julia enters into the foyer and says, "You're not going out, are you?"  Why aren't you following Barnabas? asks Ang. I did, but he went to Loomis House, and I think he's there for the night, says Julia. He's given up the search for Quentin? asks Ang.  Apparently, for the moment, says Julia. Good, says Ang, not that he'd be able to find him. You know where he is? asks Julia quietly. Ang grins. "Hoffman, always so inquisitive," she says--"aren't you forgetting it's Barnabas' secrets, not mine, that you're supposed to uncover?" (uh oh) She leaves the house. Julia grabs her coat and follows. The camera pans to Barnabas' portrait hanging on the wall.

A cave by the ocean - Quentin, filthy, disheveled, sits on a rock. Angelique joins him.  You shouldn't be out at this hour, he protests.  I had to see how you were, she insists.  Why did you come to the house, what were you doing in that room? Angelique demands. I had to see Maggie, says Quentin it's become an obsession; when you came to see me at the jail, you thought Maggie and I were two pawns in a larger game--now we both know that isn't the case, don't we?--she's a witch, I know it, but can't believe it--when I was looking at her, sleeping there, the idea almost drove me crazy. You should never have gone there, says Ang. I had to, I tell you! he shouts, if she's trying to destroy me, why not get it over with, instead of this long, drawn-out torture? Perhaps because it IS torture, suggests Ang. Why? he asks--what have I done to her? Nothing, says Angelique, unless...you haven't forgotten about your father, and hers, have you? You think it could be that? asks Quentin. Her father drowned sailing on your father's yacht, says Ang.  Yes, but my father was cleared of that, says Quentin. True, says Ang, but there were always doubts, questions that were never answered--and then when your father killed himself, so soon after that happened, there was great speculation that it was out of guilt over Sam Evan's death.  (There's some fascinating history about the relationship between PT Quentin's father and Sam Evans, huh?)  No, says Quentin, Maggie and I discussed that openly, before we got married. You were open with your feelings, but was she? asks Ang. Quentin thinks it over--then you mean all this could be for revenge?  I don't know, says Ang, Maggie always seemed like such an innocent girl. Julia creeps up to the cave, hiding behind some rocks, and listens. Tonight, says Quentin, I had my hands around her neck, and I really don't know what I was doing--I could never hurt her--but for just one moment, I wondered what it would be like to take the life away from her, to end the torture she was putting me through. You must not do that, warns Ang, you're in too much danger as it is. What can I do? he asks. Go far away, she advises--leave Collinwood--the world is large and some of it very beautiful--you could go somewhere you'd be safe, where no one would ever find you--where you could be happy. He chuckles ruefully--Quentin Collins happy, eh? he asks-- that would be something new, wouldn't it? You deserve to be happy, she says, more than anyone in the world, you really do, you've been through so much.  Alexis, he protests. You're the most wonderful man I've ever met, she says (and sounds like she really means it).  What would I ever do without you to tell me all the lies a man likes to hear? he asks. She gazes at him worshipfully--they aren't lies, she says. Don't get me wrong, says Quentin, I'm not objecting--in truth, I don't know what I would have done without you the past few days--or perhaps I do, there would be a noose around my neck, or worse. Don't talk that way, she says, putting her arms around him, you don't know how that makes me feel--if anything should ever happen to you... Now, now, don't worry, he says, I'm still all right. Just say the word and I'll help you get away, she promises, even if it mean I never have to see you again. Never see me again? he asks, bending down to kiss her-- I doubt that very much. She nestles her head against his shoulder and smiles evilly--her plan is going very well!

Julia, I searched the cave by the beach, says Barnabas.  Apparently she keeps changing the place, says Julia. I must go get him immediately, insists Barnabas--meet us at the Loomis House. No, says Julia, you can't go, Quentin won't go anywhere with you.  He will when I tell him... begins Barnabas.  No, says Julia, he won't listen to you when you talk about a body, and Angelique. I have ways of making him listen, says Barnabas, sounding Gestapo-like. You don't want to use them, protests Julia, not on Quentin--no, he thinks I am on Angelique's side, and will go with me anywhere, because he'll think she's the one who sent me to him--it would be best that way, Barnabas. I'm not convinced, he says. I AM, counters Julia--we will wait until Angelique comes back, and then... He looks at her, fearful. Don't worry, she assures him, smiling, I'll be all right. Was that a look of love between these two, or the camaraderie of two conspirators?

Angelique returns to Collinwood. Are you all right? Julia asks, I've been terribly worried. You shouldn't have worried, says Ang, grinning happily--did anything happen while I was away?  No, everything's been extremely quiet, says Julia--is there anything you'd like before I go to bed?  No, just be ready to follow Barnabas, instruct Ang, wherever he goes. By the way, asks Ang, what does Barnabas do during the daytime?  He goes into town, answers Julia, takes long walks on the beach, and reads a lot. It just occurred to me that I have never seen him during the day, says Ang. He keeps himself very busy, says Julia, that's why he doesn't come here before evening. Curious, says Angelique, let me know if you find out anything at all. She heads upstairs. Julia enters the drawing room.  Barnabas exits his hiding place behind the drapes. Did you hear that? she asks--she's beginning to have a clue. Yes, agrees Barnabas, we have no time to waste. I'll go now, and we'll meet at the Loomis House, says Julia. Please be careful, warns Barnabas, we can only hope that Quentin is behaving rationally, because if he isn't¢â‚¬¦ He was behaving very rationally when I heard him talking to Angelique before, she says, holding his arm for a moment and assuring him, I'll be all right. She takes her coat and smiles in response to Barnabas' nod as she leaves. Barnabas stands at the foot of the steps, pondering, worrying.

Angelique, entering the room across the hall, overhears voices coming from her old room. She throws open the door, where RT Quentin and Maggie are talking. Maggie has asked, "Do you really think so?" and Quentin has responded, "I'm positive."  I wish we had some way of knowing what actually happened to her, says Maggie.  Quentin, Maggie! realizes Angelique, raising her hands, trying in vain to enter--the room has changed to that other time--the time Barnabas came from!  We know that she really wanted to be with Barnabas, says Quentin.
But to actually try to go into another band of time, says Maggie. Quentin says,  "Maggie, our dear Dr. Julia Hoffman would go anywhere to be with Barnabas--even there."  Angelique's eyes grow wide. Has she figured it out?

Maggie's room, Collinwood - Barnabas assures Maggie, who's lying in bed, you're safe--Quentin won't disturb you tonight. You seem so certain of that, she says. I am, he says--now get some sleep. Can you tell me why you feel that way? she asks. Not now, but soon, very soon, he promises. I know, she says, I'm sorry, but I can't help but be afraid. If I thought you were in any danger, he says, I wouldn't leave--but I do have an important appointment. They bid each other good night.  He leaves. Maggie settles down in her bed, afraid.

Quentin paces the cave, trying to warm him hands. Hearing Julia approaching, he hides, then darts out when she calls his name. What are you doing here? he demands, annoyed.  Alexis sent me, she says. She wasn't to tell anyone where I was, says Quentin. I know, says Julia, but she decided to change the plans. Why? asks Quentin. I don't know, says Julia, but she told me to come here and take you away. Why didn't she tell me about the change in plans? asks Quentin. You'll have to ask her that, says Julia, but I'm to come and bring you to her, now, quickly. Hoffman, says Quentin, you know I never trusted you, why should I now?
You trust Alexis, don't you? asks Julia. Yes, he says. Then come with me now, she says, hurry! All right, he agrees, but if it's a trap...  "It is NOT a trap, I swear it," says Julia. (And you believe her, trust me.) You lead, then, says Quentin, I'll follow you.  But as they are about to go, Angelique appears, glaring at Julia, her lower lip trembling. Quentin, she says, the beach is swarming with police, there's a tunnel at the back of the cave, go wait for me there. Hoffman just told me... begins Quentin.  I don't care what Hoffman told you, interrupts Angelique, wait for me at the back of the cave, and hurry! Quentin rushes away. Why are the police searching the beach? asks Julia. They're not, replies Angelique, fury in her eyes. I don't understand, why did you tell Quentin there were? asks Julia. I wanted to talk to you alone, says Ang. About what? asks Julia. "First of all, I want you to tell me just exactly where you were going to take Quentin--Dr. Hoffman?"
Julia turns away--she's been caught!

NOTES: Oh, knowing what Angelique will put her through, I really fear for Julia in this instance. Once again, it was sloppy writing on the part of DS writers, having that conversation between Maggie and Quentin in RT. Of course the latter must say "Dr. Julia Hoffman" in its entirety, so Angelique connected Julia's quick diagnosis of what killed Will, leaving no doubt that this Julia Hoffman is from RT and what her profession is. One senses RT Quentin and Maggie wouldn't be that foolish, jeopardizing what's going on in PT, but then again, it was a sloppy plot device and used before. Perhaps RT Quentin and Maggie can win a join CIC (Clueless in Collinsport) award.

Barnabas' concern for Julia seemed to border on the romantic in this episode. While I have felt they were nothing more than best friends for the run of the series, the looks between them in this ep, probably because Frid and Hall incorporated them into their roles so beautifully, were so telling. The smiles, the way she touched his arm, the look on his face when he said that was a chance he was just going to have to take when she pointed out that if she returns to RT, he would have no protector--much evidence pointing to their growing affection, Roxanne or no Roxanne. Say what you want, of all the ladies in Barnabas' life, Julia is probably the one who most deserves to have him!

Angelique is so scary now, isn't she? Her wrath is touchable, and so frightening. I fear for Julia.

What a surprise, learning that Angelique has been hiding Quentin, probably since his escape! And that kiss--is the fool falling in love with the woman who he doesn't know is his dead wife? She's apparently been working on him subtlety, too, convincing him in her disarming way that his wife is a witch. Did he try to throttle Maggie or not? I don't think that marriage can survive, not if she believes her husband is a murderer and he believes his wife is a witch.

Barnabas tells Julia they must admit to the possibility that Quentin is a murderer, yet he still seems to stubbornly believe in his innocence. Poor Quentin, and Maggie, clueless, but they are pawns in Angelique's sick, insane game.

Interesting episode, with some huge revelations. What will happen to Julia now?

1053 - Julia, startled, says, I don't know what you mean.  Don't you? asks Ang--you've been carrying on this deception for quite some time now. Deception? queries Julia, and one can only imagine how hard her heart is beating right now. What have you done with Hoffman? demands Angelique. You've made a terrible mistake, insists Julia, I AM Hoffman. No, says Angelique, I knew that you were acting strangely for quite some time, but I didn't get suspicious until I went into my own room tonight--and there I saw two people from the other time, the time Barnabas Collins came from--I saw Quentin and Maggie and they were saying that Dr. Julia Hoffman had come to this time--then very suddenly, everything you had been doing began to make very good sense. If I've changed, says Julia, it's only because I've become so frightened about how all this will end, and what will happen. You've changed because you've begun to help Barnabas Collins! accuses Ang. I'm not helping Barnabas, Julia assures her--I swear it. "What have you done with our Hoffman?" repeats Angelique. I swear I am Hoffman, insists Julia, the one that was loyal enough to believe you were coming back
--"I alone believed that," she points out. Ang walks away. If I were this "Dr. Hoffman," would I be here pleading with you? asks Julia--how can I prove to you that I AM your servant? You don't have to, says Ang, because I do believe what you're saying is true--I'm sorry I had to put you through that ordeal, but you have to understand that after I saw those two people in the room, I had to find out if anything had happened to the one person I knew I could trust. Yes, says Julia, obviously (to us) relieved, I can understand how you must have felt.  I didn't want anything to have happened to you, adds Ang--"You're so very valuable to me."  Thank you, says Julia. I think Quentin will be safe in the cave, for tonight at least, says Ang--come--we have work to do at Collinwood. The two women leave.  The camera pans on an oil lamp sitting on a rock.

Collinwood drawing room - Roger paces. We see his feet, his face reflected in a glass table. He is holding a drink. Liz, dressed in a green velvet robe, comes downstairs. Roger pours more brandy for himself. Liz enters the drawing room.  What are you doing up? he asks.  I couldn't sleep, she says. The doctor gave you a sedative that was supposed to keep you asleep until noon tomorrow, Roger reminds him. I woke up for a reason, she says, I don't understand it--I woke up because I could feel Carolyn's presence in my room. Carolyn is at rest, says Roger. Do you think anyone who is brutally murdered can ever be at rest? asks Liz. Perhaps not, admits Roger, but... I don't believe it, says Liz. Please let me take you to your room, he says, you're very tired and need your rest. I know you think I'm imagining things, but I'm not, says Liz--at one point I even thought I heard Carolyn speaking to me. Impossible, says Roger, nervously. The voice was very faint, says Liz, as if she was talking from a great distance. You must stop this, Roger insists.  I can think of only one reason why Carolyn would try to communicate with me after death--she's trying to tell me who murdered her, says Liz. Roger gazes at her, startled and guarded.

Listen to me, Roger begs his sister--there is no way Carolyn can communicate with you--you've got to pull yourself together.  Roger, says Liz, you sound as if you didn't want to know who killed Carolyn. Absurd, he says, I just want you to be more realistic about this, that's all. I don't understand why you're getting so upset, she says. I'm not upset! he shouts. Yes you are, says Liz. Very well, then I am, more so than anyone else in this house, he says--speaking of death has always disturbed me, I don't know why, I'm just that way, that's all.  He drains his glass and wipes the corner of his mouth. It didn't upset you to talk about Angelique after she died, points out Liz, you talked about her all the time! Please stop this, urges Roger. Liz considers his words thoughtfully. They are interrupted by Barnabas entering the house, and give each other pointed looks before Roger pours himself another drink. Barnabas greets them, looking from one to the other--Elizabeth, he say, I thought the doctor gave you a sedative. He did, but I wasn't able to sleep, says Liz, and starts explaining why. Please don't go into this again, says Roger in a peeved voice. Go into what? asks Barn--has something happened? Yes, says Liz, but Roger is determined to think it happened in my mind. I don't understand, says Barnabas. Neither do I, says Roger--Elizabeth, can I take you upstairs so you can get your rest?  No, says Liz, I wouldn't be able to sleep. Excuse me, then, says Roger, I will try to get some rest. He leaves. Barnabas watches him go, then asks Liz, do you know what is disturbing Roger?  No, she says. He's right, you should get some rest, says Barn. When the time comes, says Liz, in a weird voice, I'll get all the rest I need. She trails upstairs. The front door opens; Angelique and Julia enter. Angelique sarcastically greets him, "Good evening, Mr. Collins." The two of you are rather late, notes Barnabas. I don't think that's any concern of yours, Mr. Collins, says Julia in her best icy-Hoffman imitation. Ang smiles and says, Hoffman, that's no way to speak to a member of the family--you're up rather late yourself, though, however, that's not surprising for you--is it?  I'm not sure what you mean, says Barn.
Ah, the mystery of Barnabas Collins never ceases to amaze me, says Ang, as Julia pushes out her bottom lip defiantly. Whatever that mystery is, says Barn, it must be a product of your imagination. I don't think so, says Ang, you see, I've already discerned a very curious fact about you--you're a nocturnal creature, I never see you during the day--where do you go, and what do you do, hmm?--I shall have all the answers to these questions very soon, I promise you that--Hoffman, come with her. (All during this, Barn and Julia are exchanging glances of understanding and reassurance.) Barnabas stands there after the women have left, puzzled.

Roger speaks to Angelique's portrait--I should have known all along you'd do your utmost to have the final word--how my life has hanged, and what I've become because of you--I was foolish to think that everything would be changed once you were gone--nothing has changed, except me--you've dominated our lives more than ever--I believe I'd done the best thing, yes, even though I loved you, I thought it a good thing to get rid of you, but you found a way to return, bringing with you more suffering and tragedy. . .and then, if became necessary for Carolyn to die. YOU! shouts Liz from the doorway--"You killed Carolyn!" (You bastard!) Roger turns, wide-eyed, and faces his infuriated sister. How long have you been standing there? he asks. Long enough to know the truth, she retorts. You don't know what you're saying, he says. You knew what YOU were saying, she accuses. No, I didn't, he says, touching his forehead, I've been thinking, just rambling on. No, she says, Quentin didn't murder Angelique, it was you! No, Elizabeth! He cries. It was you! she rants--somehow Carolyn found out and you killed her!  Listen to me! Roger begs. YOU KILLED CAROLYN! she wails. I didn't want to do it! rages Roger, I never wanted any harm to come to her!
Liz grabs a heavy statue off a table--you're a monster! she yells, and raises is over his head. He grabs the arm holding the statue; they begin a fierce struggle. Roger twists her wrist, forcing her to drop the statue, which drops to the floor and smashes. He pushes her back against a chair, throttling her to death despite her struggles.

Angelique takes Julia to the very bowels of Collinwood--this is as far below the house as possible, she says. How did you ever find this place? asks Julia. Dameon Edwards told me about it, says Ang--he explored every inch of Collinwood. Julia surveys the damp, ugly place--I'm not sure Mr. Quentin will like it here, she says.  He may not find it very comfortable, agrees Ang, but it's the safest possible hiding place he could have. (This room is what we saw as Dameon Edwards' final resting place, where his bones were interred.)  Angelique finds a lever inside a bookshelf and opens it. She hands Julia the candelabra--go in first, she urges. Julia enters--I'll try to find some things to make this place comfortable, she says.  Angelique eyes her sharply, closing the door by backing into it, and, eyes flashing, says, that won't be necessary-- "This place is not for Quentin, but for you, Doctor." For me, but I told you...begins Julia.  Do you really think I was fool enough to believe that? demands Angelique, after all the things you did?--the trip you made that night to my father's house, the way you interrupted Will and me in the tower room, your instant diagnosis of his death--oh, no, I never believed you in the cave, I just let you think I did, because then I'd be able to bring you here more easily. I see, says Julia, gulping. You really are Dr. Hoffman, aren't you? asks Angelique, you might as well admit it. Julia turns away--yes, she admits, I'm Dr. Hoffman--what are you planning to do with me?  Believe me, says Ang, it would make me very happy to kill you--but I have decided that you'd be more valuable to me alive--for various reasons--first of all, there are certain questions I want to ask you--what have you done with our Hoffman--where is she? Julia is silent.  Angelique advises her, viciously--answer me!  Hoffman is dead, says Julia.  How, tell me how? demands Angelique. I didn't want it to happen that way, says Julia, shaking her head sadly. You killed her! accuses Angelique. It was an accident, I didn't mean to kill her, insists Julia. You killed her because she found out the truth about Barnabas Collins! realizes Angelique. Julia shakes her head, no. "That's it, isn't it, doctor? continues Ang--I remember now--she called me one night in Bangor, she said she had something very important to tell me, what she'd discovered about Barnabas--well, she won't be able to now, but you will--you see, that's the real reason I've brought you here--you're not going to leave this place until you tell me the secret of Barnabas Collins."  Julia, backed against a wall, is determinedly silent and defiant.

Roger has stowed his dead sister's body in the window seat in Angelique's room. He closes the lid, looking stricken, unable to believe that one murder has led to another--and of the people I loved.  Barnabas enters and asks the startled Roger, what are you doing in here?

Seeing the shock in Roger's face, Barnabas asks, are you all right.  Yes, I'm fine, says Roger. I certainly didn't expect to find you here, says Barn, I thought you said you were getting a rest. Roger turns away--I don't think it's possible for me to rest tonight, he says--I've been going through this house from room to room, trying to get my thoughts straight--about everything that's happened here. I'm glad I found you here, says Barnabas, I wanted to talk to you about Elizabeth. Roger whirls around and repeats his sister's name. Yes, says Barnabas, it isn't good for her to be wandering about the house--someone should stay with her and make her stay in bed. I know, says Roger--it's my fault, I should have stayed with her. Don't blame yourself, says Barn, anyone could have...he stops, spotting the broken statue on the carpet. Roger sees it, too, and is horrified. Barnabas picks it up--how could it have gotten broken? He wonders. I'm sure I don't know, says Roger in a steely voice, sounding like he's ready to commit murder again to cover his crimes. Barnabas puts the broken pieces on a table and wanders close to the window seat. Roger hastily suggests, let's go down to the drawing room, have our talk over a drink. What I wanted to say, explains Barnabas, standing perilously close to Liz' resting place, I can tell you here. Roger is unnerved.  I merely wanted to make a suggestion about Elizabeth, says Barnabas. Please, let's go down there, says Roger, if you don't mind. Tell me what's wrong, says Barnabas. Nothing, says Roger impatiently, this room has so many memories. You'd have been better off not coming here, then, wouldn't you? asks Barnabas. Roger nods--yes, how true that is, he murmurs. He turns to face Barnabas and again asks, let's go downstairs. If it will make you feel any better, of course, agrees Barnabas. I'll follow you, says Roger. Barnabas leaves. Roger gives a final glance at the window seat and leaves, too.

Back in the dungeonous room, Julia asks Angelique, how can I tell you something I don't know? Oh yes you do know, you know everything there is to know about Barnabas Collins, states Angelique angrily, and you might as well stop resisting me, because I have ways of forcing you to tell me. Oh? asks Julia--the way you killed Bruno Hess and blamed it on Quentin? I don't mind admitting to you I disposed of Bruno, says Ang, I always told him that one day he would prove quite useful to me, and he did. Angelique picks up her necklace in her fingers and orders Julia, turn around and face me. Julia refuses--I know what you're trying to do and won't let you. I command you to turn around and look at me, orders Angelique. No, says Julia defiantly--I know about hypnotism, I know how to resist it. Then why won't you look at me? asks Ang. I will never tell you what it is you want to know, states Julia.  Does Barnabas have the same power over you that he did over Will Loomis? asks Ang.  (the power of love)  I haven't any idea what you're talking about, says Julia.
"I have plenty of time, Dr. Hoffman," says Angelique, "sooner or later, you will tell me everything I want to know."

Drawing room - Barnabas asks Roger, has something happened that I don't know about?  If it did, says Roger, then I don't know about it either. Are you quite sure? asks Barn. Of course I'm sure! answers Roger, irritated--about your suggestion about Elizabeth. . .  I think there should be a nurse outside her room so that she can't wander the house, advises Barn.  It's an excellent idea, says Roger, I'll see to it right away, then try to get some rest. (she's not going anywhere anymore!)  They bid each other good night.  Roger ushers Barnabas to the door, almost pushing him out.

Do you still refuse to tell me what I want to know? Angelique demands. Yes, says Julia. Very well, says Ang, I could resort to Black Magic to make you suffer even more, but I think I like this way better--I'm going to leave you here, Doctor--I'll come back, every now and then to see if you've changed your mind. You needn't bother, I won't, says Julia. Oh, says Ang, then you shall spend the rest of your life here, which won't be very long--your candles will go out soon, and you'll be left in darkness--you can cry for help but no one will hear you--you have no food or water and no chance for escape--"You're going to rot in this room, Dr. Hoffman!"  She opens the door and leaves. Julia tries to prevent her from closing and locking the door, but it's too late. Julia blows out one of the candles, backing away from the one remaining, looking fearfully around her prison as she rubs her hands together against the chill.

NOTES: My heart hammered the first time I saw the first scene between Julia and Ang. I KNEW she didn't really believe her and was just going along with it, waiting for her chance to do something terrible to her. Bravo, Julia, for avoiding the hypnotism, but what did it get you in the long run?

Oh, what a terrible situation for poor Julia, but you know she'd rather have her fingernails extracted than give in and tell Angelique Barnabas' secret. She's very loyal, but what's it going to get her--cold, hungry, thirsty and dead. Stand by your man, Julia, but let's hope he stands by you! You sense that Angelique will be an especially cruel jailer, too, and will keep her promise to let Julia rot in that dreadful place.

Oh, God--Roger murdered Angelique, Carolyn and now his own sister!  Obviously, this man is mentally deranged, but he managed to carry on a fairly normal conversation with Barnabas nevertheless. One wonders what started this chain of death, and what Angelique did, or didn't do, to Roger to make him kill her. Roger's murder of his sister was so brutal--and he stabbed his own niece to death!

Kudos to all performances today, especially Edmonds. His nervousness made my hands shake. Hall and Parker's scenes were beautifully done.  You could tell how much these two actresses enjoyed interacting with each other.

Great episode, too, a highly exciting cliffhanger!

Love, Robin

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:#1053/1053: Robservations 08/06/03: Murderer Revealed; Julia Imprisoned
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 12:25:01 AM »
I was so shocked the first time that I saw these episodes to discover that Roger was the murderer.  Even though I know we're in parallel time, the behavior is such a departure from that of the Roger that we've known.  His hit-and-run was an accident, but parallel Roger murdered his closest family members in cold blood.  (Do you think this version ever called parallel Carolyn "kitten" or referred to parallel Liz as his dear sister?  I doubt it.)

Also, I really wish Julia hadn't been so honest about Hoffman's fate.  Why couldn't she have pretended that she and Barnabas were hiding parallel Hoffman somewhere and then tried to use her safety as ransom to get herself out of the dungeon?

ProfStokes