Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0473  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0473
« on: June 06, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »
Robservations #473

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0473

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 06:24:13 PM »
Hi Midnite....

Moltke refers to her character in the third person in her VO.  No "My name is Victoria Winters".

Welcome, hideously attired and coiffed Cassandra.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 08:48:12 PM »
Unwelcome Cassandra's Day-Glo green coat and black wig.

Nice sparring between Elizabeth and Roger in the study, with not a line fluffed. In a switch, Elizabeth is as stern as Joshua, and Roger is as emotional as Naomi.

Meanwhile, Barnabas and Cassandra have a duel of their own in the drawing room. What a beautiful room this is! I have always wanted to live in such a house. [We know that when she says "always," she means ALWAYS.] Barnabas, who realizes this, observes dryly, Now you will get your wish.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 09:01:59 PM »
Barnabas kept his cool, surprisingly.   Maybe he's had time to get used to all the recent changes, and has been expecting some entrance of some kind by Ang.   This isn't the same Barnabas who was stunned out of his gourd by Lang's magic curtain act.

Barnabas can't help but be flattered by recent events.   His witch-wife pursues him from beyond the grave, and through time.  A pioneering doctor goes out of his way to cure him of vampirism, including a possible revolutionary treatment that might harm another man (Jeff C) in some vague unspecified way, but what's that matter...  Julia forgives all the throttlings and death threats, and stays in love with him, ready to do anything at his command.  What further evidence is needed... the universe revolves around Barnabas after all!!

I continue to see Roger differently ever since seeing 1966.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 11:02:26 PM »
Ah, Cassandra -- my favorite character (or iteration, I suppose, of Angelique ... Cassangemirandavalerique DuVal Bouchard Collins Collins DuVal DuBois Rumson Collins.)  Isn't this wig APPALLING?!?  Like some kind of horrible untamed raccoon creature perched atop her head.  I actually asked Lara Parker about it at the 1998 Fest, but she seemed to have no memory of ever wearing a dark wig ...
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »
Interesting--and funny--post about Barnabas, MT.

And Nicky, thanks for giving us Angelique's full moniker! Maybe we should keep a checklist of her aliases as the story progresses.  [easter_cheesy]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 06:54:53 PM »
Angelique ... Cassangemirandavalerique DuVal Bouchard Collins Collins DuVal DuBois Rumson Collins.

Thanks for that Nicky, I want to call her that from now on!   And you'll be responsible!

I actually asked Lara Parker about it at the 1998 Fest, but she seemed to have no memory of ever wearing a dark wig ...

Trauma'll do that to you.... Thanks, DL!

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 08:01:07 PM »
Oh, you're certainly welcome.   [ghost_wink]
[spoiler]
(For the record, I believe it goes something like this ...  Angelique Cassandra Valerie Miranda Bouchard Collins Collins DuVal DuBois Rumson Collins DuVal ... depending on the order of her timeline, I suppose ... sigh.)[/spoiler]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 08:02:19 PM »
I actually asked Lara Parker about it at the 1998 Fest, but she seemed to have no memory of ever wearing a dark wig ...

I'll never forget that moment as long as I live. I think I actually have a photo of that precise moment. I found her reaction appalling and I've held it against her ever since. What can I say, I'm petty and shallow...and bitter.

Another ‘new’ view of Collinwood?  Egad! What a horrible print this episode is. Everyone looks ghastly! Roger brings home a new wife, a new wife in a horrible wig. Why a bad wig? Is there a point? Liz confronts Roger on his marriage, a serious (and amusing) discussion. Barn does the cat & mouse thing with Cassandra and during a conversation with Vicki we learn that Cass is the student Stokes was waiting for in the previous episode. It is made very clear to the audience that Cassandra is Angelique.

Afterthought: I enjoyed Bennett & Edmond’s scene together immensely, and that of Frid & Parker, mostly because of Barn’s ‘attitude’.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 12:46:01 AM »
Oh Dom, I love you!

You know, I was thinking about this the other day, and I never thought Cassandra actually wore a wig (LP, yes; Cassandra, no).  I just assumed she used magic (cheaper than Ms. Clairol).  Then I re-evaluated after I read a summary of this episode somewhere online (can't remember where), and the summarizer described the episode's final scene as Cassandra pretending to adjust her WIG while using the portrait as a mirror.

... nope, I still don't think it's supposed to be a wig. 

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 07:58:03 PM »
If it were meant to be a wig, I imagine that Barn Or Julia would have pulled it off in some big AH HA! moment sooner or later.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 09:05:04 PM »
I was always amazed that, given the technical aspects of Our Favorite Show, the damned thing never fell off her head.  Even La Montgomery nearly lost it in my favorite episode of Bewitched, "Double, Double, Toil and Trouble," where Samantha smacks Serena in the gob with a pie, causing the wig to very obviously slide backward.

And even when a certain someone slaps another certain someone in a much deserved moment, the Horrible Untamed Raccoon Creature stays put.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 09:31:28 PM »
(E Montgomery was nicknamed "La"?  And sitcoms of course were allowed to edit...)

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 12:20:58 AM »
I may have nicknamed her that ...  [ghost_grin]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 06:20:41 PM »
If Cassandra had been outed as a wig wearer, then perhaps she and Julia could have had a catfight like the Helen Lawson/Neely O'Hara sequence in the then current Valley of the Dolls.  [ghost_rolleyes]
Fade Away and Radiate