Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0469  (Read 1383 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0469
« on: May 31, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »
Robservations #469

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0469

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:07:07 PM »
I like the dissolve from the empty opened coffin, to its former occupant in his hospital bed.   Lang, telling Barnabas about his "cure" for him, contorts his face in a frenzy of insane overacting, knowing he's in close-up.   I mean the actor not Lang, but the name escapes me.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 07:19:53 PM »
Powell, Addison Powell.

The trio enters the secret room. We are being led to believe JClark is Peter Bradford by his actions. Vicki accuses Julia of knowing the room was there already. Vicki recounts the killing of Noah Gifford. JClark opens the coffin and it’s empty. Lang admits to Barn that he is not fully cured but temporarily – there are no guarantees with the experimental drugs – but he can offer him a permanent cure – the big mystery. Julia confronts Lang about his promise to Barn and warns him that she won’t be brushed aside re: Barn’s wellbeing. JClark enters Lang’s home as Julia is leaving and it piques her interest. JC is robbing graves for Lang and wants to quit for want of Vicki. Lang threatens JC and we learn that he was once in an institution for the criminally insane and is a murderer – this according to Lang. I have my doubts

Afterthoughts: It seems like Barn takes no responsibility for Julia’s injections going wrong. I know that it’s my interpretation of his position, but it still annoys the hell out of me. Davis got his big blow up scene and it was very good.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:47:25 PM »
Barnabas has a bad flashback, which makes him angry and suspicious, but Dr. Lang still promises a permanent cure. I wonder if he realizes that he is in danger of his life if he can't come up with one.

Whatever Dr. Lang's field of expertise, he can afford a quite luxurious home. His study, which features the beautifully carved archway that has previously graced Tony Peterson’s apartment and then Naomi’s room at the Old House, is furnished in high Victorian style with choice antiques. Julia visits and sets her jaw as she warns him that he injures Barnabas, she will stop him (Lang).

Just as Julia is leaving, Jeff Clark barges in with a wet raincoat and face (his hair is dry), but Julia hardly notices him as she leaves. All the same, Lang lights into him for barging in when Julia was there. Apparently Jeff is disgusted at working for Lang, and warns Lang to leave Vicki alone. The good doctor threatens to tell Vicki that Jeff had spent time in an institution for the criminally insane and is a murderer!

And yes, dom, Barnabas is entirely responsible for Julia's injections going wrong because he wanted to hurry the process, despite her stringent warnings.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
It seems like Barn takes no responsibility for Julia’s injections going wrong. I know that it’s my interpretation of his position, but it still annoys the hell out of me.

It's not just you - back in the '67 eps Barn said as much in as many words that the failure of the experiment was entirely Julia's fault. But as DarkLady so rightly points out, the failure was entirely Barnabas' fault because, over Julia's strenuous objections, he forced her to speed up the experiment. But then none of us should be at all surprised by Barnabas' attitude because all too often he has his own, shall we say, unique take one how events took place.  [easter_rolleyes]  Particularly whenever Julia and/or Willie are involved.  [easter_sad]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »
Yes dom, Roger Davis actually did get across desperation and shame and outrage in the blow-up.   Let's give him credit when he deserves it.   Every scene of his with AP (thanks dom) makes RD look like the talented one by comparison...  Jeff Clark isn't grating yet.  Give him time...

As for Barnabas's not admitting responsibility for Julia's treatment going wrong, remember that Barnabas is a villain.   Of course he's irresponsible, to put it mildly.  He does a lot worse than that, he kills people when they make things inconvenient for him.   His medical miracle is only starting to influence him away from his warped and criminal nature.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:47:01 PM »
Though even after months of being cured, Barnabas still does unconscionable things.[spoiler]The way Barnabas psychologically manipulates Willie in Ep #560 by preying on Willie's fears in order to get his own way is perhaps one of Barnabas' worst deeds ever.[/spoiler]But then, that's why Barnabas at best evolves into an anti-hero and not a hero.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 02:07:38 AM »
I don't think he's supposed to be "reformed" yet at that point.   It's not just a matter of being cured-- it's more gradual than that.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 07:50:45 PM »
Barnabas wakes up screaming for Lange and apparently there are no call buttons in the room. The hospital does have the amenity of  french doors in the room.  Jeff comes in as Julia leaves. Dramatic music. Jeff was in an institution for the criminally insane as a murderer.  I wonder what exactly Jeff is doing for Lange?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 09:39:22 PM »
I'm sure the Collins family has donated some massive amount of money to the hospital. In return they get their own private suite for whenever any of them need to be hospitalized. The lack of a call button is a real lapse, but then again, this probably is Barnabas's very first hospitalization ever, so he may not know that call buttons even exist.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 10:42:55 PM »
this probably is Barnabas's very first hospitalization ever, so he may not know that call buttons even exist.

Or maybe not his first, in which case he was probably expected a bleeding, rather than transfusions!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 03:11:09 PM »
 [easter_cheesy] [easter_cheesy] [easter_cheesy]