Author Topic: IMG Thing  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
IMG Thing
« on: August 01, 2003, 05:59:44 PM »
So I see VictoriaWinters has an image thing ?embedded?????? in her text...if I had an image, how does one 'put it on here'?

Patti

(I can just see MB....holding his sides....cracking up)
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:IMG Thing
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 06:45:35 PM »
if I had an image, how does one 'put it on here'?

Patti

(I can just see MB....holding his sides....cracking up)

LOL

You'd use the image tags, which you can get by clicking on the icon of a framed picture that's in the 2nd row of blue boxes (following Add YABBC tags: when your reply window is open).  The url of the image location goes between the tags, so it would look like this
Code: [Select]
[img]URL[/img]The image has to be stored online for it to show up in your post, and do protect yourself by making sure that any copyrighted image you use has the permission of the copyright holder, and if it's stored on another website that you have the permission of the owner before linking to it.

BTW, I'm not in any way implying that VW isn't in compliance; she is.  I'm just saying that it's the poster's responsibility to make sure they don't violate copyright or tick off the website owner.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 07:50:17 AM »
And shall we add to that no hogging someone else's bandwidth.  If you are going to steal, at least have the courtesy (hee hee) to load it up onto your own website.  If anyone doesn't have webspace and needs some, I can get a list of free ones that will "hotlink."   (i.e., a host that will store your image that you can then use over here and most other places.)  Note: Geocities or MSN groups won't "hotlink" over here.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 07:02:08 PM »
And shall we add to that no hogging someone else's bandwidth.  If you are going to steal, at least have the courtesy (hee hee) to load it up onto your own website.

Well, just because a borrower keeps from hammering a site for access to an image by storing it on his/her own site, taking an image without permission is still generally accepted as theft.  It's also sneaky (the creator will probably be unaware that the theft occurred), and it robs that person of credit for their effort and creativity.

If anyone doesn't have webspace and needs some, I can get a list of free ones that will "hotlink."   (i.e., a host that will store your image that you can then use over here and most other places.)  Note: Geocities or MSN groups won't "hotlink" over here.

It's very sweet of you to offer.  Images stored on MSN do show up here-- VAM's images in photos.msn.com linked successfully, and I just tested someone else's pics to make sure-- and you can add Angelfire to the list of well-known sites that don't allow their images to show up here.  Netscape has yet another limitation-- their terms of service require that images not be stored unless they're posted on a page.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 09:38:48 PM »
Well, just because a borrower keeps from hammering a site for access to an image by storing it on his/her own site, taking an image without permission is still generally accepted as theft.  It's also sneaky (the creator will probably be unaware that the theft occurred), and it robs that person of credit for their effort and creativity.

Actually, even if there isn't an explicit copyright notice posted on a Web site, Internet copyright law states that "borrowing" an image or text from a site without the Webmaster, image creator or author's expressed permission is a clear breach of that site's copyright. People who've failed to remove "borrowed" material after having been warned to do so have been successfully sued by several sites and have had to pay hefty fines. So, anyone who "borrows" without asking permission first is pretty much courting disaster if they get caught and the violated party chooses to exercise their right to sue...

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2003, 09:27:13 AM »
It's very sweet of you to offer.  Images stored on MSN do show up here-- VAM's images in photos.msn.com linked successfully, and I just tested someone else's pics to make sure-- and you can add Angelfire to the list of well-known sites that don't allow their images to show up here.  Netscape has yet another limitation-- their terms of service require that images not be stored unless they're posted on a page.

As I understand things currently, MSN Photos no longer works for non-MSN 8 users.  (I was thinking of MSN groups when I said this.) Perhaps, you are speaking of a linkage that occured several months ago.  So if you are not an MSN 8 user, it probably won't work now.

So, here comes the list (courtesy of my friend, Lauren) just to be sure:

boomspeed.com
imagemagician.com
sighost.us
fotki.com
villagephotos.com
and webshots.com

Some seem very user friendly.  Upload pic, get url addy. (But not anyone else's photo, natch.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2003, 06:58:05 PM »
As I understand things currently, MSN Photos no longer works for non-MSN 8 users.  (I was thinking of MSN groups when I said this.) Perhaps, you are speaking of a linkage that occured several months ago.  So if you are not an MSN 8 user, it probably won't work now.

Thanks for the info about msn8; I didn't know that had changed.  When I did a test yesterday I used a friend's photo that's stored elsewhere on msn, but as I recall msn8 is where VAM had her pictures.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2003, 04:59:45 AM »
Thanks for the info about msn8; I didn't know that had changed.  When I did a test yesterday I used a friend's photo that's stored elsewhere on msn, but as I recall msn8 is where VAM had her pictures.

That could be her ISP as well which could explain why she could hot link from there.

Well back to my web work.  It's coming along I think.  More on that later.