Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0462  (Read 887 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0462
« on: May 21, 2013, 05:02:23 PM »
Robservations #462

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0462

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 11:14:56 PM »
Love love love GH's own fiery hair! Barnabas compliments Julia on it, but only as a prelude to grilling her about her success in hypnotizing Vicki. (In fact, Barnabas would not have been astonished to see short hair on women affecting Incroyable fashions back in 1795, so he's surprised but not shocked.)

I believe this is the Positively Last Appearance of the ghost of Jeremiah.

Julia tells Vicki that she went to the town records office and discovered that Peter Bradford was hanged for the murder of Noah Gifford. Vicki breaks down and admits she loved Peter. To the accompaniment of the usual approaching storm, Julia immediately retails this news to Barnabas, who is quite peeved--after all, Peter is dead. He is even more peeved when Julia reminds him, You still love Josette--even though she's dead. It is not like you to mention her name, Julia, he comments. Julia promises to make Vicki forget, but Barn doesn't trust her.

Barnabas comes to Vicki's room to take matters into his own hands. Although he isn’t wearing his cape, he reveals just enough of his unearthly splendor to dazzle Vicki without overwhelming her. The DS Wiki has a frame grab showing that he is still reluctant to bite her--but he does, and rather nicely too.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 12:16:22 AM »
Welcome, frequently-worn grey Nehru suit of Julia's.   Who reburied Jerimiah in 1795?

Welcome, real Julia, once she cuts her hair.   Why'd Barnabas like it?   Phyllis Wick knew Barnabas's secret?

Barnabas: "The past is constantly relived."   Is he not killing Julia now just to move the plot away from 1967 baggage?   Julia's not afraid anymore, why?

Mr. Frid steps back into 1960s Barnabas well.   Great mood in early days of 1968... they insert all the needed pauses, and introduce new music, I think.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 12:58:53 AM »
Oooooh, we haven't seen the last of Jeremiah  yet!  [spoiler]He'll grace us with his presence at least one more time in 1968, during Barnabas' trial at the hands of Trask, and again in late 1897, when Kitty Hampshire feels that ol' familiar Josette tingle.  I love his ghost, personally -- something horrific about that googly eye and the fact that a) he doesn't look or sound remotely like Anthony George, and b) Barnabas didn't shoot Jeremiah in the face.  Not even a little.   [easter_wink][/spoiler]
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 06:57:44 PM »
I stand corrected, Nicky, but I had to laugh at your spoiler!

Whether or not Barn really liked Julia's hair is probably beside the point. He's just softening her up so he can find out how successful she was at hypnotizing Vicki into forgetting 1795--a tall order even for Julia, it seems to me.

JF returns to 1968 so smoothly that I didn't even really notice. I do mean that as a compliment! I also like Julia's often-worn gray Nehru-collar suit, especially when she wears the orange-y scarf entwined with pearls with it. It's certainly nicer than the green tweed suit.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 11:51:37 PM »
Julia is hypnotizing Vickie with the medallion making it's first appearance since the time disturbance. Vickie is babbling again and confused and fearful that if she falls asleep that she will go back to 1795. That would be frightening.  Jeremiah reveals that he is watching over her which seems odd that they dropped the Josette watching over her and then he scares her with his hand from the grave and Josette's hanging eye. Barnabas does reveal that Phyllis was originally hanged for witchcraft.  Jeremiah is Tim Gordon with the voice by the awful Addison Powell.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 01:51:10 PM »
I guess the Josette-Vicki connection got dropped when 1795 developed into the story of Barnabas. Vicki and Josette barely interacted until after Barnabas "died," simply because in that social structure, they were worlds apart.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 07:13:08 AM »
Julia’s haircut and new makeup as a metaphor for a whole new direction for the show – nice – and it works for me. It’s nice that is was ‘noticed’ by the rest of the family, and not ‘unmentioned’ as with Maggie going from blonde to brunette (or is it auburn?). Julia’s medallion – lol – I’d forgotten that thing. Vicki’s eye makeup is strange. In this episode I find myself wondering where they are trying to take the present day storyline. I really like the line spoken by Vicki that she is afraid of sleeping because she fears she may end up back in the past again – and in a sense, she is correct. The Jeremiah ghost ‘thing’ was weird to me, but it makes sense when you think about it. She was in the past and Jeremiah did like her very much. Julia is still trying to get back on Barn’s good side – and Barn now feels the need for her help, interesting, plot wise. I had questions pertaining to Barnabas when Phyllis Wick showed up in Vicki’s place during the séance, and this episode provided the answers. I mostly wanted to know if Barn recognized Phyllis and if Vicki changed history or merely took Phyllis’ place. While Vicki obviously changed history’s details, it appears more so that she took Phyllis’ place in 1795. Though, Barn states that Phyllis knew he was a vampire. It appears as though Julia is still bent on protecting Barn – though he is unsure of her. Julia reveals Peter Bradford’s fate to Vicki causing Vicki to admit her love for him. This news distresses Barn and causes him to panic – he bites Vicki to win her devotion.

Random Thought: I’d never known that Vicki was ever bitten and the first time I saw this I was so shocked that it happened. I never expected it.