Author Topic: Creepy  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
Creepy
« on: July 30, 2003, 02:03:50 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this post so I'm just taking a guess here.

and btw, what your sig is doing is kinda creeping me out.

And that's exactly what it's designed to do

It's really creeping me out too if that information flashing back at me is correct.

It's one thing to realize Big Brother has already arrived and then be able to "forget" and go about my normal business.  It's quite another to have it pushed in my face every time I see MB's sig.

If I take a hiatus from this board it's because I prefer to be in a state of denial about Big Brother 99% of the time.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Creepy
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 06:39:49 PM »
It's really creeping me out too if that information flashing back at me is correct.

Oh, it's correct. ;)

It's one thing to realize Big Brother has already arrived and then be able to "forget" and go about my normal business.  It's quite another to have it pushed in my face every time I see MB's sig.

If I take a hiatus from this board it's because I prefer to be in a state of denial about Big Brother 99% of the time.

Well, if the sig really does bother you, you might want to consider taking a hiatus from the Internet entirely because the info that it displays is readily available to every Web site. ;)

As I mentioned in the topic on CE/A '03 that you've quoted from, I actually have no idea what the sig tells anyone. I didn't even create it - it's a nifty little toy that was created by DanaSoft.com.

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 07:20:05 PM »

Well, if the sig really does bother you, you might want to consider taking a hiatus from the Internet entirely because the info that it displays is readily available to every Web site. ;)

Well, that's what I mean.  I realize it's readily available to everyone but the other sites don't remind me of it by showing me the information every time I'm there.  I prefer to live in denial of the fact that anyone can find my IP address, follow me around the Internet and block sites from me, track my purchases and so on.  So this bit of reality is totally interfering with my delusions of well being.   :o
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 07:29:36 PM »
Hi Eleanor Rigby,  believe it or not, I think the "sig" (a syllable I still have difficulty believing has become an actual word in the English language), is meant to be helpful.  The Moderators frequently get inquiries from patrons who have gotten their knickers in a twist over something or other.  The first question usually relates to just what browser/software they're using to view the Boards in.  With this handy device, nobody is ever going to be able to claim they don't know!  I myself keep forgetting just which incarnation of Windows I have been saddled--erm, I mean, gifted with.

As for the first piece of information, it's meant to discourage trolls, of which these Boards are thankfully free!

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 11:17:15 PM »
ER...I too find it creepy, but I know from being on the phone w/various help lines (Microsoft, Verizon & Dell) that it is all over the place; don't think it's a 'bigger' thing than when you put your return address on your envelope.
And honey...don't forget...if it says, "You are currently at IP address 12345678 and using att.com, it only shows that to you, none of the rest of us see yours, just our own.

Have a good day,

Patti
What a Woman!