Author Topic: #1038/1039: Robservations 07/28/03: The Redhead With the Grand Tetons  (Read 1257 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
1038 - Maggie, massaging her aching temples, keeps moaning, "I'm not a witch!"  She rushes to the door and begs Quentin, "Come back!"

Back by the drawing room fire, Angelique nastily informs the absent Maggie, Quentin will not come back, not even if he wants to, he won't be back! She looks away from the fire and tells the absent Quentin, Maggie is the witch--you have seen it now with your own eyes, and you will leave this house.  Hearing footsteps, she murmurs, "You will leave now and not come back until it's too late for both of you--you WILL leave, Quentin." The front door slams.  She smiles. "I have much, much more to do," she declares, rising.

Maggie picks up and stares at the necklace she used to "cast" the spell on Alexis. Angelique enters--is something wrong? she asks. Maggie flinches and piles the necklace into one hand. I'm your friend, says Ang, you can tell me--have you had another fight with Quentin?--I don't mean to pry, of course, but sometimes talking it over does give one...perspective?--you're holding my locket--what's wrong?  Maggie begins to cry. I went to your room, I took it, sobs Maggie, I don't know why I did it--it doesn't make any sense at all--I don't know why I do these things. I don't either, says Ang. I don't know what I'm going to do, cries Maggie.  Somebody is using you, I'm certain of that, says Ang--somebody is forcing you to do these things--if they aren't here in this house, than it's someone near enough to have caused all this trouble. I thought it might be Cyrus, says Maggie. Cyrus is dead, points out Angelique, but these things are still going on--tell me this--how much do all of us know about Barnabas? It couldn't be him, asserts Maggie, he has no reason.  He doesn't seem to have, agrees Ang, but this is some part of a master plan, and we've got to find out who is behind this, "Because you can't take much more of this, I know that." There is someone in this house who does hate me, says Maggie, but not Barnabas--it's Hoffman. It isn't her, I'm sure of that, says Ang. Roger? suggests Maggie. We'll have to watch him very closely, says Ang--I'm going to find Quentin. NO! protests Maggie. But I must--I can convince him there's some kind of a plot against you, insists the murderous blond. Please, don't, begs Maggie, praising her kindness and understanding--I don't want you to interfere between me and Quentin. You're probably right, agrees Ang, if you feel so strongly, you must be--but I will find out who is doing this, I can do that for you, if you'll just let me. Maggie nods.  Angelique grins in triumph.

Julia paces around Barnabas' coffin as it begins to open. She smiles at him. "Barnabas!" she greets him joyously. "So you've found me out!" he says, incensed. No! she says, realizing what he's thinking. He rises from the coffin, promising, it will be the last thing you ever do. No, she protests, holding up her hands defensively--Barnabas, it's me, Julia, I'm dressed this way for a reason! You expect me to believe that? he demands, facing her from the opposite side of the coffin. You must, she says--I was in the room, I waited for the room to change just as you did, I was so afraid for you, I had a terrible premonition that seems to have come true--look, she says, taking hammer and stake in hand, desperate to convince him--Hoffman had them, she was at your coffin--she's dead now. You killed her? asks Barnabas. "She had the stake at your heart, Barnabas," says Julia, as if that explains everything--"she meant to destroy you."
His face changes from anger to gratitude.  He comes to her side and says, tenderly, "You did this for me? Thank you, Julia, I'm, grateful to you again--now we must find a way to get you back to your own time." Do you think I would leave? she objects, no, you need me here, Angelique thinks that I'm HER Hoffman.  Nothing could be more dangerous to you, says Barnabas. I can find out all her plans before she starts them, says Julia. Angelique and Hoffman were so close, there are any number of details Angelique can catch you up on, he reminds her. "Barnabas," she says determinedly, "I will stay here, I will keep to this plan--perhaps I like being a spy--I always wanted to be."  Grinning with delight, she adds, "Who hasn't?"--perhaps I can even find out how to destroy her. I doubt that, Barnabas replies. She is dead, some power is keeping her walking, talking, says Julia. It will be enough to learn what her real intentions are here, he says--"And I believe that they are more than merely trying to separate Quentin and Maggie--much more." I'd better be getting back to her, says Julia, I just wanted to see you. Dear friend, he says, his hands on her arms. You would have done the same for me, she says. They're close enough to kiss, and for a moment, we think (hope!) they might. Yes of course, he agrees, smiling. (His face goes gentle.)  I'll be back later, promises Julia--Barnabas, be careful. She closes the bookcase behind her.

Angelique, reading the tarot in the drawing room when Julia returns, angrily asks, where have you been?  On an errand, says Julia--do you think you should be using these cards here?  No one will discover me, Angelique assures her, Quentin's out of the house, Maggie in her room, crying, probably--I thought this the perfect time to see if I shall succeed or not. She selects a card and reveals the hanging man--"and I shall."  I know my murderer, Julia, reveals Angelique--you see what you missed by not being around? Who murdered you? asks Julia. I was killed by someone who adored me, says Ang, by someone who was so jealous...  Quentin? says Julia--but how do you know it's true? Cyrus left something, I'll show it to you later, says Ang. What are you going to do about it? asks Julia. Everything, Ang assures her, standing up--everything! What specifically? asks Julia. I have so many plans, Ang responds, each one better than the last. Tell me! begs Julia shrilly. Ang gazes at her, startled. I want to help you, smiles Julia, carefully calmer. Of course you shall, Ang assures her, just as you always do--you are going to enjoy this, Julia, just you wait and see.  Angelique suddenly grows faint. What's wrong? asks Julia.  My father, moans Angelique, passing out on the floor.

Julia kneels beside Angelique, waving smelling salts under her nose.  Regaining consciousness, Angelique weakly says, "Get Father...why haven't you gone?--he's causing this--go! I didn't know, says Julia. Don't you remember? asks Ang, the last time I told you--what's wrong with you, hurry, stop him! Yes, of course, says Julia, and leaves the drawing room, closing the door behind her. Her father, muses Julia, what does she mean?--I don't even know where he lives...the phone book!  She goes to get it.

Stokes is busy in the room with Angelique's life force woman. He lifts the sheet and gives the unconscious girl an injection of red fluid. He answers the knock at his door.  Knocking? he asks Julia, surprised--how formal you've become, especially since I was expecting you--Angelique has fainted, I suppose. Yes, says Julia. And she blames me, of course, he says, taking a sip of his drink--she should trust me more. Julia comes inside--what happened? she asks. What I hoped was merely a singular occurrence is something more, he says--there's no explanation, of course. There must be, insists Julia--Angelique told me not to come back until I knew. You must understand, he says, that in experiments like this, we are dealing with the complete unknown--she did tell you about the body, didn't she? Some, hedges Julia. Aren't you going to congratulate me? he asks--I've given you back your Angelique. She smiles--you know how glad I am, she says.  Hoffman, you could never stand the sight of me, he reminds her--I could never expect more than cursory compliments on my one great triumph. She was so vague, says Julia, I'm afraid I don't really understand. Neither do I, he says, I must check the body, I was trying to calm it when you interrupted me. Entering the other room, he says, I suppose I underestimated the human spirit. He pushes back the curtain--come in, he urges.  She surveys the sheet-draped body.
A corpse, says Stokes, that's what you'd think, wouldn't you, but we know different--one thing I overlooked was the strength of the continuing will to survive--even now she continues to struggle to regain her life force--how incredible the human spirit is. What do you mean, struggles to get back? queries Julia. She wants to be alive, says Stokes, to walk and talk as we do. You have taken her life force away? asks Julia. Come, Hoffman, he chides, don't pretend to be surprised, surely Angelique told you her very existence depends on the life force of another. I didn't understand, says Julia. I thought I removed the life force completely, says Stokes, but apparently not--when she uses her will, poor Angelique becomes as she was when she sent you here. If anything happens to the body, begins Julia.  Angelique could die, finishes Stokes, but nothing will happen, nothing--tell Angelique I have given it an injection which should stun what remains of the life force--when you return to Collinwood, I'm sure you'll find Angelique completely recovered. She nods. How lucky you are, he says, you live in the best of all possible worlds--to enjoy the luxury of Collinwood, wealth and companionship without the responsibility of being a Collins. But I don't have the money, either, she points out. Stokes says that's a situation that will change--I'm sure Angelique will reward you lavishly; I however, might have to remind her that I am the one to whom she owes her existence--when that moment comes, she alone represents the Collins family. I'd better be going back, says Julia. Has Angelique had had any further trouble with Barnabas Collins? asks Stokes. No, says Julia, why do you ask? She will, that's all, says Stokes gloomily, I know HE is the enemy. Julia's eyes reflect fear.

Loomis House - Maggie brings Barnabas up to date on what happened at Collinwood.  I can't believe what you're saying, he says.  Is it possible I might have done these things unconsciously? she asks--that I...  "That Quentin's right--that you're a witch?" demands Barnabas angrily. She looks ashamed. No, my dear, he says, you are not responsible for what happened at Collinwood; now, that will be clear to everyone. You sound so sure, she says. I am confident, he assures her. Why? she asks.
My dear, trust me, says Barnabas, wait, please. She considers what he said.

Hoffman, you know my father so well, says Angelique--was he telling the truth or just trying to teach me another lesson? No, he was telling the truth, I'm sure, says Julia, but you do neglect him frightfully. Neglect him? says Angelique, annoyed--all he wants to do is sit around here and drink Quentin's brandy. Let him, advises Julia, why not really make him your friend--he's someone you need more than you need anyone else, you know that--invite him over tonight, talk to him.  I could persuade him to go on with his work, says Angelique--there must be some way he can stop these terrible attacks--yes, and tonight would be perfect, because Quentin's out of the house and Maggie's having her dinner in her room--yes, perfect! She goes to the phone and dials, very pleased with herself.

Loomis House - Julia, says Barnabas exultantly, you've brought me so much information, I hardly knows what to do with it all--is it possible we've found a way to defeat Angelique? Yes, it is, says Julia, smiling. Stokes, says Barnabas, it's incredible, all the pieces begin to fit together, don't they?--Angelique thinks Quentin murdered her--revenge, yes, I don't believe he did, but the important thing is, she does--well, we can end it now. We can destroy the body, says Julia. And Angelique will die, smiles Barnabas, and then it will be all over. He and Julia are once again close enough to kiss, and she revels in his joy. Then we can go back to our own time, she says. We must plan this very carefully, he says, make no mistakes. You will come to Collinwood at eight, says Julia--Angelique knows I'll be out of the house for the evening. Half an hour from now, says Barnabas--are you sure that no one will be with the body? Positive, Julia assures him. Barnabas opens a desk drawer. What are you looking for? she asks. Something Will showed me once, he says, and pulls a knife from the drawer and holds it up. This will end the reign of terror at Collinwood, says Barnabas confidently--tonight!

8:05 - Angelique answers the door at Collinwood and greets her father. He unwraps a scarf from his neck and says, I don't approve of your answering the door--when there are servants, one should use them.  Hoffman's in the village, says Angelique. He gazes around with satisfaction--it's a pleasure every time I visit this house--are you alone? Yes, she says, and we have much to discuss--would you like a martini?  I think I'll have several, he says. Anything you want, Father, she assures him, pouring. What do you want from me? he asks.  I want to encourage you, she replies, to convince you to continue with your work. I didn't come here to discuss that, he says, let me entertain the illusion that I am to the manor born. I cannot go on having these attacks, Father, she says, there must be something you can do. He shakes his head--I don't see what. Find some way to control that girl, she suggests. I'm almost content to rest on my laurels, he says, sipping his drink. No, I won't let you, she insists--you can't, it's too important.  Momentary faintness seems a small price to pay for life, he says. (What about the dead bodies she leaves in her wake?) I can't take the chance of even a momentary faintness, not anymore, she insists. Why? he asks. Never mind, she says.  He insists upon knowing.
All right, she agrees, you who love this house so much, take a long, last look at it, Father, because it's going to be very different--the people who own this house are going to get what they have deserved all along, and not a member of this family will remain untouched, I promise you that!--The Collinses will be a family that is finished, so we must work very hard, Father, because it all depends on me. She toasts herself.  Stokes, looking worried, drinks.

Barnabas and Julia, who has stolen Angelique's key, enter Stokes' cottage. Will Angelique miss it? asks Barnabas.  No, she says, she only keeps it in her drawer in case of emergencies. Where is the body? He asks.  She shows him. It's all so easy, isn't it? he asks.  Are you having second thoughts? Asks Julia.  Of course not, he assures her--it's just that I've spent so many hours trying to find a way to defeat Angelique. Come, she says, and opens the door. Barnabas looks down at the sheet-draped form and says so, that body has made Angelique live again--another innocent must die. I know how you're feeling, she says, but she's not truly alive--and she would destroy other people, I'm convinced of that. Yes, agrees Barnabas. Julia takes the knife from her bag. It must be done, says Barnabas sadly. Then we must decide what to do about Stokes, says Julia--he could find another body and have Angelique live again. "It never ends, does it," says Barnabas, "when one begins to unravel evil?" (Quite profound.) He takes the knife from Julia, who says, "No, Barnabas." Yes, he says, now... He takes the knife in hand and holds it in stabbing position over the body. Julia draws back the covers.  Barnabas gazes down, astonished.

NOTES: Drats, talk about wasted opportunities! Barnabas and Julia shared a special moment of intimacy after she convinced him she was HIS Julia, not the evil Hoffman--yet not even a hug to thank her for saving his life--and certainly, a kiss would have been even better! They were so close to touching, yet the only contact he made was to hold her shoulders. This was very disappointing, even back in 1970, but it's going to get worse for Julia fans, believe me. The mischief in Julia's eyes and voice when she tells him she's always wanted to be a spy was delicious. The scene in the Loomis drawing room was another great one between them, they were both so proud of each other and their hope to get rid of Angelique once and for all; you'd have thought they would share a celebratory hug, at the very least--but no! Both scenes were just beautifully played by Hall and Frid.

Thayer David is marvelous. His request to pretend to be the lord of the manor for a few moments was a hoot. The relationship between him and Angelique is such an odd one, a mixture of love, hate and other components I don't want to examine too closely. He is holding a woman prisoner, in a way, for his stepdaughter's life to go on, and thinks a few fainting spells is OK. What about when the cold drives his daughter to murder? It's chilling.

I don't think Julia is acting enough like Hoffman. She's much less formal, less rigid, and I can't help but worry that Angelique will be on to her sooner rather than later. She's just pre-occupied now.

Tomorrow, Julia fans are in for an unpleasant surprise. Those who've seen the episode will already know what I mean. Given the nice scenes between Barn and Julia today, what is going to happen will be a huge disappointment.

Maggie is just so annoying!. She's just accepting the possibility she might be the witch, acting subconsciously. I really do think she and Quentin should call their marriage quits. Or perhaps they deserve each other, in some bizarre way?

Interesting stuff coming down, and another introduction of a character who goes no where. Can anyone say Claude North? I knew you could.

1039 - Julia hands Barnabas the knife and draws back the sheet--do it now, she urges.  Barnabas, however, is stunned when he beholds the woman lying on the table, seemingly unable to proceed.  Noting his hesitation, Julia asks Barnabas, what's wrong?  "She's so beautiful," he says reverently. The woman has short, red hair, and someone has done a splendid job on her creamy complexion with makeup.  She's wearing a blue nightgown that shows off two healthy, pointy breasts. The woman is beautiful, agrees Julia. I've never seen another face like hers, says Barnabas--"I cannot do it!" he insists, turning away. Because she's beautiful? Julia asks, incredulous. In a world where there's so much ugliness, have I the right to destroy her? he asks. You are destroying Angelique, Julia reminds him, defiance in her voice.  We'll have to find another way, he asserts. There is no other way, says Julia. There must be, he says. Angelique would kill you if she had the choice, Julia reminds him. I know that, says Barn, I will deal with Angelique. How? demands Julia--tell me a way--Barnabas, we've been given this one opportunity--I feel as sorry for this girl as you do. Sorry isn't all that I feel, says Barnabas (oh, no, is this that pesky loin itch again)? What is it, then? she asks. It doesn't matter, he replies. It does, says Julia, because whatever you feel condemns everyone at Collinwood to more of Angelique's plots--they're all in danger, and you're maintaining that danger! I want you to examine that body, says Barn. You haven't been listening to anything I've said, she says, shaking her head in frustration. If we are able to bring her back to life, Angelique will be in that state, says Barnabas--you said yourself that Stokes told you that Angelique exists on the strength of this girl's will to live. Yes, says Julia, I told you that--but I haven't the vaguest idea how he accomplished it. You're a doctor, says Barnabas, if you examine her, surely you'll have some idea. I'm not as confident as you are that we even have the time for all this delay--if I could take her to a hospital and make tests, it would be different. You can come here any time you like, he says--tell him you're here to help him. Hoffman is a housekeeper, she says--Stokes would laugh at me. "I am determined to bring this girl back to life!" insists Barnabas. In the past, says Julia, I always thought you knew what was best, this time, you are wrong; as we delay, whatever happens at Collinwood is YOUR responsibility. (Go, Julia!)
I will see that nothing happens at Collinwood, he vows--now begin the examination. Reluctantly, Julia takes the unconscious woman's pulse.

Collinwood drawing room - Stokes pours himself another martini. Roger and Angelique are also there. Stokes remarks to a grumpy-looking Roger, it must be a shock to be having drinks with me again in this room. Not at all, says Roger. That's what I like about the Collinses, says Stokes, they have more manners than sense--they believe in their manners even if no one else does.  "Father," says Angelique warningly. Don't be nervous, says Stokes, I'm not going to launch into one of my tirades; I noticed Roger was a little uneasy, thought I'd admit to being the reason. Roger denies Stokes is the reason--I've had rather a shock today--Cyrus made me executor of his estate--I would have thought Cyrus would have chosen Quentin. Pointedly, Stokes says, Quentin doesn't need the percentage that executors get. "Neither do I, Mr. Stokes," says Roger angrily, "if you'll excuse me--good night."  He exits in a huff. What fools they are, says Stokes, I always admitted when I need money--he and Elizabeth Stoddard are living in a dream world. Angelique glares at him and says, there'll be no dream world left soon, Father, for any of them! Putting down his drink, Stokes says, I suddenly discover I've had quite a lot to drink--what did you mean by that? They'll find themselves in a world like they've never known before, she vows, a cruel expression on her face--every one of them, except for my son, of course--all the adulation they've received, simply because they're Collinses--there will be no more of that. What do you intend to do? he asks. Nothing, Father, she says, sipping her martini, nothing. You're going to make someone else do the dirty work, he says pensively--tell me everything. There's nothing to tell, she says, nothing at all--I'll simply be an innocent bystander who can't believe all the evil that surrounds her.

Back at Stokes' house, Julia reports to Barnabas, the girl's heart is barely beating; her pulse is the lowest it could possibly be--if this were a normal case, I'd say she only had a few minutes to live--and if she does live, there will be permanent brain damage. She's not a normal case, says Barnabas. No, agrees Julia, how did he ever do it?  I know that her mind sleeps as the rest of her does, says Barnabas, taking the girl's hand, and when she wakes, she will be the same as she was before Stokes did what¢â‚¬¦"Julia, her fingers moved!" Julia doesn't believe it.  They did! he says exultantly, her hand moved! Hold it tighter, says Julia.  Barnabas does, squeezing it. The girl's eyes flutter open.

Collinwood - Angelique triumphantly tells her father, you will be the audience, just as I will. She suddenly feels faint. What's wrong? her father asks.  "Father, the body!" she cries, starting to slip to the floor. Nothing could be wrong, he says--before I left the house, I administered the serum--unless someone is in that room! He runs off, leaving Angelique trying not to pass out. She holds into a table, sits in a chair, leans her head on the back.

The young woman stares straight ahead. Barnabas leans in close and asks, "Can you see me?  I can't tell, Julia."  Keep trying, she urges. Your hand moved, he says to the young woman--if you can hear me, move it again. She can't hear, says Julia. Speak to us, begs Barnabas, tell us who you are. . .speak to us--you must speak--I need to hear your voice--try--try for my sake--try! Julia stands nearby, watching and listening closely. They hear Stokes enter the house. "Something's happened to Angelique!" says Julia--"He's back!"

Barnabas, go! orders Julia, standing by the girl's head. And leave you? he asks. You must! She insists--GO!  Barnabas disappears. Stokes bursts into the room. Thank God it's you, says Julia. What are you doing here? he asks.  I was afraid, says Julia--the girl's hand moved, and I was about to call you at Collinwood. You haven't answered my question, says Stokes. Isn't it curious how a situation like this puts us all so on edge? comments Julia. Why did you come here? he says, a steely edge in his voice. A premonition, says Julia. You? he asks. I was on my way back to Collinwood when I had a feeling that something had happened to Angelique--I came here, I had the key, Angelique had given it to me,
I thought there was something I might be able to do--are we going to begin doubting each other--when we SHOULD be friends? asks Julia craftily, noting the doubt in his face. So the hand moved, says Stokes. Yes, says Julia, and the eyes started to open. They're closed now, notes Stokes. Yes, agrees Julia, whatever happened has passed. I'll just call Angelique, says Stokes urgently, make sure she's all right. Julia nods.  After Stokes goes, she takes a deep breath of relief and gulps.

Collinwood - Angelique, on the phone, assures her stepfather, I'm all right again, thank you, but you must perfect what you've started, because I intend on doing here what I must!  She hears a door slam and hurriedly hangs up.  Maggie enters. Angelique asks, more a statement than a question, "Quentin hasn't come back."--I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but you were looking for him, weren't you?  Seeming lost, Maggie says, I can't sleep--I think I read once, or perhaps someone told me that a couple should make up before going to bed. Oh, says Roger cattily  from the doorway, then I'm afraid you'll have to stay awake for quite some time, won't you? Angelique chides him--I can't imagine what you can possibly know about this, Roger! Maggie looks away, annoyed. It's all too obvious, says Roger. I won't have you picking on Maggie, insists Angelique. Alexis, please, protests Maggie. I'm picking on no one, insists Roger--just helping myself to some of Quentin's excellent brandy--do you mind?  Let's go up to your room, Maggie, suggests Angelique.  I prefer to stay here and wait for my husband, says Maggie. Maggie! exclaims Ang. Please, Alexis, says Maggie calmly, still gazing at Roger.  Angelique leaves. Roger asks Maggie, do you want to join me?  No thank you, she replies. No weaknesses, eh? he asks sarcastically. Oh, Roger, I have many weaknesses, Maggie assures him. He looks at her, bemused, and asks, "Where did he go tonight?" That's none of your business, Maggie shoots back, furious.
Oh, but everything that happens here is my business, he says--you see, I keep track, I do, really, now why don't you tell me before one of the servants does--"What have you done this time?"  Maggie attacks: "You leave me alone--get out of this house, this house is as much mine as it is yours--get out of here and leave me alone!"  Your house?--I wonder, counters Roger--and for how long?  He leaves her alone in the drawing room.

Bruno sits at the piano in his cottage, playing his one-hit wonder, Angelique's Theme. Angelique enters quietly, watching him play, smiling. He stops. You didn't have to stop, she says. You enter rooms the way Angelique used to, says Bruno--one moment I'd be alone... And the next, she'd be by your side, finishes Angelique, opening the sheet music sitting on top of the piano--you liked having her by your side, didn't you, Bruno? He rises from the piano--I was just thinking of her as I was playing the song, he says--how could Quentin murder her? Angelique thinks this one over, not answering.  Bruno continues, asking, what did the police say when you brought that curious diary of Cyrus' to them?--two idols destroyed, he laughs mockingly--the eminent Dr. Longworth leaves proof that he falsified Angelique's autopsy to save his friend, the illustrious Quentin Collins--when are the police going to come over and arrest him for her murder? Angelique grins enigmatically.  "You did go to the police, didn't you?" he asks.  I paid you five thousand dollars for the journal, she says, and it's mine to do anything I want with it. He sternly asks, do you want your sister's murderer punished?--the journal says Quentin did it--Cyrus saw the hatpin in the base of her skull... Yes, agrees Angelique, but there's no proof Quentin put it there--Cyrus only assumed that he did--well, they don't hang criminals on supposition--I want more proof before I go to the police--absolute proof. You aren't going to go to the police, are you? he demands angrily. No, she says. "You MUST!--You MUST!" he shouts through gritted teeth, grabbing her by the arms. His face trembles with the force of his insistence.

Angelique wrestles herself out of Bruno's grasp--don't ever touch me again, she warns--do you understand me?--"I am in charge, you sold me the right to be--now go over there to get yourself a drink to calm your rather tattered nerves!"  He gazes at her for one ugly moment, then does as he was told. Your trouble is that you're bored, she says--and much too young to be so--do you know that?--imagine, the great Bruno Hess, spending the evening playing a melody you wrote for a woman who died six months ago. What else is there for me to do? he demands. More than you see, she says. Yeah, he says, ever since Angelique died, no one around here wants to see me. Such an innocent child, she chuckles, fixing her hair--why only this afternoon I heard someone say how attractive you where, how she couldn't understand why you made yourself so unavailable. She sticks her thumb in her mouth. Who? he asks. This woman needs someone, Bruno, she says, someone very understanding--she needs you far more than Angelique ever did. Who are you talking about? he asks. Someone at the main house, says Ang, someone who is much more innocent than she seems. Maggie? he asks. Angelique laughs, an ill-boding sound, and says, she fooled you too, did she?--oh, Bruno, what is it that makes you so irresistible to Quentin's wives? I don't know, he says, I guess we have the same taste in women, that's all.  He takes a sip of his drink as Angelique looks at him, smiling, thinking, what a vain fool he is.

9:10 - Collinwood - Maggie pours a stiff brandy for Bruno, saying, in a rather come-hither voice, I don't mind at all that you stopped by--as a matter of fact, I rather enjoy your company--I'm beginning to think lately, I spend far too much time alone. She hands him the snifter.  He says WE will have to see that you get out more often--you know that your husband wouldn't appreciate my being here."  Quentin is not here," points out Maggie.  Then he doesn't have to know, does he? asks Bruno playfully. I heard one of your recordings today--you play brilliantly, says Maggie. Thank you, he says, putting down his drink--it's just one my many talents. You're a self-confident man, notes Maggie. Do you mind that? he asks. No, not at all, she says, I think I rather envy it--I've never had much confidence.  All you have to do is do something well, just once, says Bruno, then you'll know nothing's really very hard. Roger passes by the open drawing room doors and stops to listen. Maggie smiles--you may be right, she says, but then I have no talent. Not even for loving? he asks. She turns to look at him. Oh yes you do, says Bruno, I can see it in your eyes--you not only have a talent, but a need for someone who appreciates it.  He moves in for a kiss. Bruno, says Maggie warningly, pulling away.  "Someone's here!" she realizes, pulling open the doors to see Roger standing there, calling, "Quentin!"  Aren't you lucky? says Roger, grinning superciliously, "It's not Quentin at all--only me--only me."  He walks upstairs, laughing. Go after him and tell him what happened, Maggie begs Bruno.  Who cares what he thinks? Scoffs Bruno.  He again tries to take her in his arms; again she pulls away, screaming, "No!"  She clings to the mantle.

Cottage - Angelique tries to soothe Bruno's ego--you had too much to drink, and frightened Maggie, she says--after all, I never said Maggie couldn't be frightened--she was probably reacting to Roger, he would dearly love to tell Quentin what he saw--just calm down. Quentin Collins! Bruno complains, angrily banging his fist--why does everyone live in fear of him? Angelique, arms crossed, says, for good reason--he has the money and power. Not for very long, says Bruno--I found the journal, so I'm going to call the police. No, you can't, she insists. Don't you try to stop me, he warns. It won't do any good now, she says. No?--You just wait and see, he says. She goes after him--I won't let you, she threatens. They grapple.  Get out of here, he orders, tossing her into a chair. He picks up the phone and dials O--"Operator, get me the police--now.
Angelique suddenly grins with pleasure. Bruno says, "Hello? I want to report a murder!"

NOTES: We learn from the credits, if not the storyline, that Barnabas' latest crush is named Roxanne. The pretty young redhead (asleep, as in Sleeping Beauty) has once again made Barnabas' loins throb, and what a misery for poor Julia. If it's not Josette, it's some other SYT, and this one has red hair and looks like she could be Julia (and Barnabas', for that matter) daughter. You can understand Julia's incredulousness over his decision not to kill her, not only because it will harm all their plans, but because he wants to spare her because she's beautiful.  I was glad that Julia pointed out that whatever goes wrong at Collinwood thanks to his decision is on HIS head. This makes Barnabas look incredibly shallow, and is neither his nor the writers' best moment. I maintain that because the series was being penned by an all-male group at this point, the writers were simply doing for Barnabas what they wanted for themselves--a young, pretty chick on his arm. For shame!

Weird that they actually made Maggie seem as if she DID want Bruno when he came over after Angelique planted the idea in his mind that Quentin's second wife would desire him the same way his first one did. Maggie never seemed terribly thrilled with Bruno, but I guess she is feeling lonely and vulnerable and was glad for the company, dubious as it was.

Roger had to be listening at the door, of course, and he was one again deliciously bitchy in his treatment of Maggie. I was glad she finally gave him a sharp tongue-lashing, but wished it had cut deeper, as Roger was being such an SOB.

Angelique was smiling happily when Bruno was on the phone with the cops, even though it seemed she was trying hard to stop him from making the call. She apparently wanted him to think she didn't want him contacting the police, but he played right into her hands by doing so, absolving her of any involvement. What will happen next?

Once again, Julia launched herself into the frying pan by facing Stokes alone. What that gal won't do for her man! Good thing she was able to convince him she was there for Angelique's benefit, and one senses her claim that she had a premonition about Angelique isn't a first-time occurrence, and Stokes knows it. Her sigh of relief at the end was wonderful; I found myself doing the same thing. Great tightrope walking, Julia!

Love, Robin