Author Topic: Possible Origin Of The "Rip" In Time  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re:Possible Origin Of The "Rip" In Time
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2003, 10:02:15 PM »
Just for my own edification, I've always had the idea that Quentin's stairway through time in 1840 established the precedent for which strange things might happen with the time stream at Collinwood. I've never attempted to embellish the idea in any form--although I alluded to it in DARK SHADOWS: THE LABYRINTH OF SOULS; heck, I never even particularly liked the idea of parallel time in DS at all from the time I first saw it as a kid. But just as a way of rationalizing the fact that something caused the phenomenon, it seemed that Quentin's initial experiments in time opened the way for the interacting of dimensions during other periods.

That doesn't mean he caused the parallel time events; one must assume those time streams simply exist. The stairway to time could merely have caused a sort of instability that allowed the different streams to occasionally intertwine.

Just a thought.

--Mark

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2003, 02:07:47 AM »
Gerard...have read it...it's great & makes it easier.
But I agree, if DS were on today, there'd be 'spin off' shows on just DS PT/RT travel ::)

BTW...my kids are home....does anyone know a quick exit/entrance to PARALLEL TIME? ;D

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2003, 04:03:39 AM »
Now Patti, haven't you learned that the grass is always greener on the parallel side! [wink2]

dom

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2003, 08:36:08 PM »
Hello, everyone. I've been away for awhile. I had initially posted this as a response to a different topic and someone moved it to its own topic. And what in the heck happened to my karma?? :o

Good point, Prof. Stokes, about 1840 PT - I hadn't considered that. MB has a good theory about whatever caused the vortex to appear caused a "ripple effect" throughout all timelines.

On the other hand, Raineypark has a valid theory about Collinwood being built on a spot where the phenomenon already existed.

I assumed the "rip in time" was caused in PT since Angelique's room was in continual use up until her death and would reason that someone would have noticed the phenomenon before this (the East Wing not having been closed off in PT).

However, if the phenomenon was a pre-existing condition as far back as 1840, it might be visible only from the RT side until someone from RT crosses thru into PT - thus leaving the "door open" behind them for their eventual return, and allowing the PT people to see through it the other way. This would explain why no one in PT had ever noticed the phenomenon until Barnabas arrived.

This might also explain the mystery of why the East Wing in RT was closed off sometime prior to 1840, a mere 40 years after Collinwood was built. Maybe Joshua discovered the phenomenon and it frightened him into closing off the East Wing in the early 1800's.

It would seem that the East Wing was re-opened at some later date, however, since Elizabeth herself closes that part of the house off sometime in the 50's to get a property tax reduction (we know Judith closed off the West Wing in 1897 which would only have left the East Wing for Elizabeth to close). Perhaps Elizabeth's parents opened the East Wing at some point but didn't  use it often enough to discover the strange room that changes.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT - Re: Possible Origin Of The "Rip" In Time
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2003, 08:49:12 PM »
Hello, everyone. I've been away for awhile. I had initially posted this as a response to a different topic and someone moved it to its own topic.

Hi!  Yes, the topic was split and the new title was created the following day-- when it became apparent it had become its own topic.
And what in the heck happened to my karma?? :o

The cure and curse totals were flipped 3 weeks ago.  So now when you especially enjoy a message, click curse.

Hope that helped.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2003, 11:52:11 PM »
When Julia and Barnabas first discover the PT room, Julia comments on how many different occaisions/parties happened in the room.

Was it ever explained how Quentin I built the stairway and got it to transcend time?