Author Topic: OT to dom  (Read 905 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT to dom
« on: July 25, 2003, 08:19:36 AM »
There were some questions today on the WordPerfect forum from a new poster by the name of dom!  I'm assuming it's not you, but had to wonder.

By the way, who is your new avatar and is there some particular significance to it?
Josette

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
Re:OT to dom
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 06:06:00 PM »
Dom,

I saw the topic of this post, and was hoping it had something to do with your avatar.  I'd been wanting to mention for some time that I love it!  Florence Ballard is my favorite member of the Supremes.  Too bad she didn't get the recognition she deserved.   :'(

CB
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 06:12:32 PM »
Hi Cassandra, I love Flo too!  I love watching her on the old Ed Sullivan videos.  It just breaks my heart that she had such an awful life.

have you heard Flo's solo song from that Sam Cooke album?  It's awesome.  Unfortunately, Flo's own LP, that she worked on for awhile after she left the Supremes, isn't so great--at least the bootleg tape I heard of it was less than stellar.  I think things were already wearing her down at that point (1968).

also, there's this book called All that Glitters--at least, I think that is the title--by a man who was running one of the Supremes' fan clubs in the Sixties.  There were some great stories about Flo in there.

Gothick

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2003, 09:52:54 PM »
Hi Josette,

No, (you're correct), it is not me on the Word Perfect Forum.

Yes, (as has been posted) that's "Flo" (b. 1943, d. 1976). Founding member of the quartet - the Primettes, eventually known as the trio - The Supremes. I'm a Supremes fanatic and I've chosen to honor them through my avatar. Flo's currently in the spotlight. My latest hobby is creating Flo avatars until the wee hours of the morn. (And Raineypark thinks she's got too much time on her hands, lol!) The quote under the avatar is taken from the Supremes 5th consecutive #1 hit, Back In My Arms Again. The reason I chose it would be obvious to those familiar with the recording:

How can Mary tell me what to do
When she lost her love so true

And Flo, she don't know
'Cause the boy she loves is a Romeo.

Hi Cassandra. I'm glad you are enjoying my Flo avatars. Thanks for mentioning it. Mary's always been my favorite Supreme but Flo's always been my favorite voice in the group. I terrorize my hubby by immitating it all day long on the weekends, lol.

Gothick, darling, many of those videos are now out on DVD! I think of you every time I watch the Christmas number (My Favorite Things) with the pink "moth" dresses. What a hoot! And of course the "Catwoman of the moon" one. <wink & giggle>

dom (who apologizes for such a lengthy OT post)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2003, 12:55:18 AM »
The quote under the avatar is taken from the Supremes 5th consecutive #1 hit, Back In My Arms Again. The reason I chose it would be obvious to those familiar with the recording:

How can Mary tell me what to do
When she lost her love so true

And Flo, she don't know
'Cause the boy she loves is a Romeo.

And here I've always thought it was:

And Flo, she don't know
'Cause the boy she loves doesn't macrame!

At least that's the way I remember reading it a couple weeks ago. ;D

[a2a3]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2003, 04:17:08 AM »
Thank you, dom!!  It really is such a sharp and vivid picture.  A lot of these aren't really recognizable, but this one is so good.
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2003, 10:05:54 AM »
Dom,
I saw the topic of this post, and was hoping it had something to do with your avatar.  I'd been wanting to mention for some time that I love it!  Florence Ballard is my favorite member of the Supremes.  Too bad she didn't get the recognition she deserved.   :'(

I agree with you both Cassandra Blair and Dom!  Flo was always my favorite Supreme too!  I thought she was the prettiest out of the bunch as well.  I was saddened to hear of her death when she passed and how down and out she was at the time.  For all of the records she sang on, not too mention guest spots on TV and world wide tours, she should have been treated far more better than she was. It was all so sad.

As I also recall she, along with Mary were the original group members (along with another girlfriend) and had formed their own band long before Diana Ross came along.   Mary had said that she remained close with Flo up until her death and that the two of them were always good friends.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"