Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #288 - 2014 Fest; DS Island Weekend Report  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
SHADOWGRAM
OFFICIAL ONLINE DARK SHADOWS NEWS UPDATE # 288

May 5, 2013

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news in this Official Online News Update "bulletin."

***** REPORTING: "DARK SHADOWS ISLAND WEEKEND"

**** SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: 2014 DS FESTIVAL EVENT PLANNED

---- "DS ISLAND WEEKEND" REPORT
April 27-28, 2013, Coronado, CA

On April 27-28, over 300 fans of DS and the horror/thriller/film noir genres attended the "DS Island Weekend" in the sunny, scenic setting of Coronado Island, across the bay from San Diego, CA.

Festivities began Saturday evening with the world premiere of the independent movie "Doctor Mabuse." The psychological thriller stars original DS actors Jerry Lacy (in the title role), Lara Parker, and Kathryn Leigh Scott.

The screening took place at the vintage Coronado Village Theatre, recently restored in a striking 1940s-era Art Deco design. The 3 DS actors, other cast members, and filmmaker/writer/director/editor Ansel Faraj watched with the audience. "Mabuse" kept the audience intrigued by its action, characters, innuendos, interpretations, and evolving story developments. The cast and Ansel then came onstage to share anecdotes and answer questions in a panel discussion covering the production itself, DS and other influences, and more.

During the evening, attendees could get autographs, take photos, and purchase DS and "Mabuse" memorabilia. DS actor Chris Pennock also attended the screening and after-events. He will appear in the "Doctor Mabuse" sequel, slated to start shooting in June.

Sunday brought the second part of the Weekend: an extended Luncheon from 11:30 am to 5:00 pm at the nearby Coronado Marriott Hotel. A wide array of door prizes were given out as Jerry, Lara, Kathryn, and Chris dined with the fans. After the meal, DS' David Selby took the stage, accompanied by DS actor Jim Storm on guitar and David's wife Chip on piano. Together, they presented "Shadows & Light," a special "homage to DS fans." David wrote this program of poetry and songs. Selections touched upon DS themes and characters, fond memories, gratitude to fans everywhere, and other subjects close to David's heart. Chip and Jim sang background vocals with David on some songs.

After the performance, all 6 DS actors took part in a Q&A session, followed by autographs and an auction of DS collectibles. Other available merchandise: SG, DS key chains, magnets, photos, and books, Fest items, and new t-shirts and tote bags from MPI. Each fan received a complimentary "gift bag" from MPI with a Barnabas "Bobble-head" doll, 3-D key chain, and Bob Cobert music CD.

The upcoming SG # 122 print issue will have more details about the Island Weekend and the "Doctor Mabuse" movie.

The next DS Festival event is the first-ever "DS Halloween Sea Cruise," Oct. 27-Nov. 3. Fans will join DS stars to sail to Bermuda on the Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. Please visit:
http://www.hartfordholidays.com/DarkShadowsHalloweenCruise/Home.html [edited]

((For Cruise news as it develops and more details, please see recent and upcoming SG Online Updates))

---- Special Announcement during the Luncheon
DARK SHADOWS FESTIVAL
RETURNS TO LYNDHURST IN 2014 TO CELEBRATE 30th ANNIVERSARY:

A 2014 Dark Shadows Festival event will be held next summer at the Lyndhurst Estate in Tarrytown, NY, just north of Manhattan on the east bank of the Hudson River. The first 2 DS movies "House of Dark Shadows" (1970) and "Night of Dark Shadows" (1971) were filmed on the estate and at nearby locations.

SG explains: The 2014 Lyndhurst event announced above is a celebration of the DS Festival/Official DS Fan Club's activities at the estate. The Fest has hosted a variety of DS gatherings there over the past 3 decades, since 1983.

This 2014 Fest event will celebrate those 30 years, featuring stars of the movies, who reprised their DS TV roles or portrayed new characters in 2 distinctly DS-ian stories. Other guests are expected, plus exciting surprises and programming to be announced later this year.

SG in print and in the Official Online DS News Updates will premiere-announce and report plans as we confirm them.

Last summer (July, 2012), the Festival presented a tribute day at Lyndhurst, remembering Jonathan Frid and his iconic impact on DS and its fandom. The memorial salute looked at his entire career, featuring onstage and filmed commentary from his DS colleagues and those who've known and worked with him over the years. ((This special event also will be detailed in the coming SG # 122 print issue.))

Thank you.

Marcy Robin
ShadowGram Editor / Publisher

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #289 - incl. info on new Lara Parker Novel
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »

Update Number 289
May 7, 2013

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS) announces the following breaking news in this Official Online News Update "bulletin."

**** FOR THE RECORD:
CORRECTING ACCIDENTAL TYPO MISINFORMATION - DARK SHADOWS HALLOWEEN CRUISE

**** LARA PARKER'S NEW DS NOVEL – PUBLICATION DATE

**** "DOCTOR MABUSE" IN LOS ANGELES SCREENINGS

---- CORRECTION: DARK SHADOWS HALLOWEEN CRUISE MISPRINT / TYPO IN SG UPDATE # 288

SG apologizes for any confusion or inconvenience because the link given to me to include in SG Update # 288 (sent May 5) had an error.

Accidentally missing was the "a" and "r" in DarkShadows in the URL address for the DS Halloween Cruise website. So the given address actually does not link to the cruise website.

The full correct URL should be: http://www.hartfordholidays.com/DarkShadowsHalloweenCruise/Home.html

---- LARA PARKER'S 3RD DS NOVEL DUE THIS SUMMER

At the "DS Island Weekend" April-27-28, Lara announced her next novel, "Dark Shadows: Wolf Moon Rising," will be published by Tor Books on Aug. 20, 2013. She revealed it centers around Quentin Collins.

Lara's previous 2 DS novels – Angelique's Descent" and "The Salem Branch" – previously were published by Tor Books. Both novels were re-issued by the company last year, in languages and countries worldwide.

Lara also announced her 4th DS book will explore the story of Victoria Winters. Now in the early planning stages, it is far too soon for details, publication date, etc.

SG will announce and report her news about the book(s).

---- "DOCTOR MABUSE" SCREENINGS THIS MONTH

After its world premiere at the historic Coronado Village Theatre in Coronado, CA, on April 27 ((see SG Update # 288)), the psychological thriller movie will be shown in Los Angeles, May 10-11.

Starring DS' Jerry Lacy, Lara Parker, and Kathryn Leigh Scott, there's a limited engagement of 2 midnight showings at the Los Feliz 3 Cinema, located in the Loz Feliz section of northeastern Los Angeles.

Less than a week after its debut in Coronado, "Mabuse" was screened May 3-4 at the Los Feliz Theatre. It will be shown there again at midnight on Fri., May 10 and Sat,, May 11.

The Loz Feliz Theatre is located at 1822 N.Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90027. (323) 664-2169. Tickets are available at the box office for only $9.50.

To see the "Doctor Mabuse" theatrcial trailer, visit
http://www.doctormabuse-themovie.com/

Marcy Robin

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #288 - 2014 Fest; DS Island Weekend Report
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:28:06 PM »
Oh Gawd.  Parker's writing a Vicki Winters backstory?  Ugh. 

*headdesk*

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 05:20:58 PM »
No title was given for that Victoria Winters back story.  I'm thinking maybe "Dark Shadows: Hemlines Rising" but there's got to be something better.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 05:27:08 PM »
Lydia, I'm dying here!

Thanks for the laugh.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 03:08:44 AM »
No title was given for that Victoria Winters back story.  I'm thinking maybe "Dark Shadows: Hemlines Rising" but there's got to be something better.

Alexandra's 1968 departure meant the character's hemlines never hit the panty-skimming highs of 69/70. nor the plunging maxis of the same period. she's forever frozen at mid-thigh.

as lovely as she was her gams were not her best feature. a situation heightened but some unflattering dress lengths and Midnite's favorite shoes. [easter_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 08:40:51 PM »
I want some magnets and a tote....is there somewhere I can purchase them? (I'd obviously like to view them first....)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 07:34:14 PM »
I won't be going on the DS cruise later this summer, but I am in the Caribbean right now! Five days of vacation here and attending my nephew's wedding on Grand Cayman island. Having no schedule other than the day of the wedding, it's even more relaxing than attending a DS festival. I'm not sure how far this is from Martinique, but I'm imagining that this island may be at least somewhat similar to the home of Angelique (and also where a relative of mine served as a gendarme à cheval in the mid-1800s). I hope those planning on going on the cruise to Bermuda will have a wonderful experience.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 10:42:13 PM »
Perhaps Lara will title her Vicki book Ohrbach's Revenge.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile