Author Topic: Oh no! the Green Suit!!!  (Read 3350 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:Oh no! the Green Suit!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2003, 08:19:14 AM »
Is this the longest worn garment from the wardrobe department? Are there other candidates?

And the winner is...

LT. NATHAN FORBES!!! [clap] [clap]

How did I ever forget him??  He lived in that suit during the whole 1795 storyline. LOL!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2003, 03:18:48 PM »
:D Julia's legendary green suit is on the scene .. worn today, tomorrow and tomorrow and next week and next month . . ..that suit sees a lotta road and many days. .

LOL, Julia99!  I vaguely recall a scene in a much earlier storyline -- I think it was when Barnabas will still terrorizing Julia -- where someone (Barnabas?) broke into her room at Collinwood and opened her armoire.  It was at that point that we got a peek at her pitifully meager wardrobe.  I somehow recall seeing multiple copies of the same suit hanging on a little rack.  As for the multiple copies, maybe my imagination was having a little too much fun -- but we are definitely led to believe that Julia's wardrobe was spartan.  Does anyone else have a better memory?

Of course, at that time, she was still posing as historian "Miss" Hoffman, so maybe she was dressing modestly to avoid arousing suspicion.  But even after she became established as "Dr." Hoffman, her wardrobe remained rather limited, and not at the fashion forefront.  I always felt sorry for her whenever I'd see her next to the effortlessly elegant Liz Stoddard.

I can almost hear some of the production meetings: "Joan, here are some new outfits and a new hairstyle for the upcoming storyline -- don't you just love them?  Oh, and Grayson, be sure to get your green suit drycleaned!"

But then came the ultimate indignity: PT, where Julia was stripped of both her "Dr." and "Miss" titles, became simply "Hoffman," and was sentenced to wearing the same housekeeper's uniform with the mousey collar for every single episode.  :'(

Ben

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2003, 04:21:01 PM »
:D Julia's legendary green suit is on the scene .. worn today, tomorrow and tomorrow and next week and next month . . ..that suit sees a lotta road and many days. .

Oh, and Grayson, be sure to get your green suit drycleaned!"

Some of her suits could have been cleaned by renting the RUG DOCTOR since they appear to be made of upholstery or carpeting.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2003, 06:06:12 PM »
Some of her suits could have been cleaned by renting the RUG DOCTOR since they appear to be made of upholstery or carpeting.

Yeah, they do seem to give Julia (in any incarnation) the absolute *worst* clothes...but Angelexis' dress today was a close second!  I hate to admit it, but I do remember owning something similar...  :D
And while I'm on the subject of cheesy...how about Julia's hair??  I thought that Grayson's own hair about this time was shorter...I wonder if this is a wig?  In the next storyline it gets even worse (IMO) if memory serves.  Poor Grayson, I wonder if she ever complained!

MrsJ.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2003, 08:36:56 PM »
Julia's wardrobe is always a fright. . . but it's well accessorized. . .right after their journey to 1897 she had some nice duds but they must've been too nice 'cuz they were taken away ..  those pleated skirts. . .one thing about Julia's wardrobe though, it was always "well accessorized"  she had more necklaces, broaches, earrings, gloves, coats and purses than any other gal at Collinwood. . .she seems to have had a glove/handbag fetish. . .and aside form the green dress forever worn in 1995. .i liked Julia's 1840 and 1841PT clothes .. .and the decrease in eye liner. .she looked younger. . .

Grayson looked very nice in the 2nd film as Carlotta. .i think she **did** finally say something and did it pay off. . .Dan Curtis filmed her very nicely. . .that first scene when she descends the staircase. . .wait! is that the same chick?   8)
Julia99

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2003, 08:59:37 PM »
Grayson looked very nice in the 2nd film as Carlotta. .i think she **did** finally say something and did it pay off. . .Dan Curtis filmed her very nicely. . .that first scene when she descends the staircase. . .wait! is that the same chick?   8)

I totally agree, J99. I loved her look in NODS. The dresses were soft  and feminine. The wig was great too. Much more flattering than that  page boy thing  from 1967.  :P

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2003, 08:31:01 PM »
I firmly believe that the NoDS wig is the one that Grayson was given to wear on her Night Gallery episode, Certain shadows on the wall.  That was filmed in August of 1970 (but not broadcast until December of that year).  In an interview she gave to the people running her fan club at the time, Grayson said that that wig had originally been worn by Rita Hayworth in one of her films.  They either let her keep it, or she just walked off the set wearing it!

Unfortunately, I can't cleverly post comparison snapshots of Grayson on Night Gallery and NoDS, but the two wigs look identical to me.

I remember looking at a publicity photo of Grayson in NoDS when I was visiting Sam Hall.  I said, "I bet she was thinking '*I* am the QUEEN of Dark Shadows' when that picture was snapped."  Sam chuckled and said, "She was more likely thinking, 'This dress is too god damned TIGHT!"

G.

Offline DSFAN4EVER

• Junior Poster
  • ...yeah, yeah I know BIG TEETH run in our family!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2003, 09:39:29 PM »
Here's one that comes to mind; Phillip's light colored plaid pants?
Was there an episode that he didn't where them? [hdscrt] [hdscrt] [hdscrt]
PEACE TO ALL!!!!

DSFAN4EVER

Offline denise

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2003, 04:47:32 AM »
Did the actors get to choose what they wore or were they told what to wear?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2003, 05:20:13 AM »
Did the actors get to choose what they wore or were they told what to wear?

Some soaps do allow their actors to have some say in what their characters wear. However, clothes, like story and dialogue, define the characters. Actors may think that they look better in a certain type of outfit or color, but if it doesn't fit for their character, it's not likely they'll be allowed to wear it. For example, we weren't ever going to see Liz Stoddard wearing polyester coolots (not even cotton or linen coolots) and a tie-dye top, and Barnabas was never going to be seen in jeans and a t-shirt. Willie was never going to be seen in jeans and a t-shirt. Not EVEN David was EVER going to be seen in jeans and t-shirt! ;)

Actually, there's a very interesting article in the concordance for the 1991 series that explains why/how they'd decided to dress certain characters in different colors and styles to reflect the personalities they wanted those characters to convey.

Offline Dawn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2003, 02:21:09 PM »
Another item that seems frequently visited is Angelique's flowing blue gown.
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.